Direct consular filing visa

ritzy

Jun 17, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with or know of people who have gone through the direct consular filing process at the US Consulate in the DR? I know that the US citizen must be a resident of the DR in order to use this method for a spousal visa. I'm curious as to whether the DCF process is really that much faster than the K-1/K-3 process for the DR. I've heard DCF can take as little as 3 weeks.

Thanks!

angie.k.s

May 5, 2004
ritzy said:
Does anyone have any experience with or know of people who have gone through the direct consular filing process at the US Consulate in the DR? I know that the US citizen must be a resident of the DR in order to use this method for a spousal visa. I'm curious as to whether the DCF process is really that much faster than the K-1/K-3 process for the DR. I've heard DCF can take as little as 3 weeks.

Thanks!

It is my understanding that the consulate in Santo Domingo does not do direct consular filing. Direct filing is only available from consulates who agree to do them.

ritzy

Jun 17, 2004
Not sure

I had been told that the consulate in Santo Domingo does not file for US citizens who are NOT residents of the DR but does do direct consular filing for US citizens who can show residency in the DR. Is this not correct?

angie.k.s said:
It is my understanding that the consulate in Santo Domingo does not do direct consular filing.

flordeluz

Jan 10, 2003
That's correct ritzy. If you are a US citizen living in DR you CAN file for DCF. I don't know how long it takes but it should be WAYYYYY less than a K3 at this point.

albertop

Sep 9, 2004
flordeluz said:
That's correct ritzy. If you are a US citizen living in DR you CAN file for DCF. I don't know how long it takes but it should be WAYYYYY less than a K3 at this point.

How it should be done? Where's the procedure to do DCF in Santo Domingo? Any additional info is gladly appreciated.

albertop

flordeluz

Jan 10, 2003
albertop said:
How it should be done? Where's the procedure to do DCF in Santo Domingo? Any additional info is gladly appreciated.

albertop

There are no formal procedures to this stated on their website. You have to contact the consulate directly. You file the I-130 with DHS in Santo Domingo. They are the ones who will approve it and hand it over to the immigrant visa unit for further processing. I advise you go in person to inquire about this. They may not know it by the name "direct consular filing" so you might have to say more specific that it means to file your I-130 directly there in Santo Domingo. Talk to someone in DHS.

CaptainKirk

May 20, 2004
K1 - Visa Processing Time

Does anyone know how long the process takes once it hits Santo Domingo? The latest I heard was approx 100 days. Is this accurate?

platana

Mar 15, 2006
K-1 Visa

I filed a petition for my fiancee who lives in the Dominican Rep. in Dec'05, approved in Jan'06 and received by the Dominican Consular in Feb'06. Now I see his # on the list but the list is 510 pages long and he is on page 484. Does this mean a long wait? Can anyone help?

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
flordeluz said:

you said you have to a DR resident? so you have to apply for DR citizenship?
please explain.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yes platana...it means a very long wait...:(:(:(

Right now there are over 25,000 cases on that list...taking between 12-15 months of waiting to receive your appointment for a K1/K3 visa...

In your case, think between Feb. and April of 2007...:(

This is done in order to filter those marriages/engagements that might be fake...they are investigating almost all cases...and also because the embassy doesn't have the adequate amount of employees to handle those many cases...

MQ

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
THE GAME said:
you said you have to a DR resident? so you have to apply for DR citizenship?
please explain.
You are asking for somebody to respond to a post they made in 2004.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Yes platana, you have a looong wait. It's not so much the time required to do the investigations, mind you.

Consider this......

1. The US consulate accepts people in line from the hours of 7 am to 11am. (sorry, not in the pm)

2. US Consulate employees are off for all U.S. holidays AND all D.R. holidays.

3. US Consulate employees each get 6 weeks of vacation per year.

4. They typically work in the DR for 2 or 3 years, and then go on to some other paradise to relieve the poor, overworked, fed-up slob there. (who really cares if yet another dominican gets a visa or not, right? Send in the next Zambian please.)

That means that they are forced to work 202 days a year, for 4 hours a day processing applicants, minus break times, lunch times, sick days, goof-off time like Election Day (either country), inhouse terrorist training days, and special days off called at the last minute by the Dominican President of the day, etc.

Out of the approximately 600 hours of work left, how many pages of applicant "Love-o-mi-Vida"s can they possibly process per day???

It's the same at U.S. Citizen Services. Sure , you get to whisk right inside, VIP, then through a few layers of screening, to sit in a small room with 80 people, 30 chairs, and a touch of A/C, coughing, a crying baby or two and B.O. Then wait 3 hours for the shrew behind the window to call your number, only to be told to fill out yet another form and come back tomorrow.

Take your pick, hehehe. Hey, wait a minute. These people are the front line for protecting the U.S. of A. They HAVE to be tough. This is SERIOUS stuff, and they should be treated with dignity and respect, just as they do with all applicants.

Doing a bit of extrapolation (god I love that word), based on your numbers, your fiancee will come up for approval/disapproval in about 37 months. Good luck, angel.

platana

Mar 15, 2006
Thanks MusicQueen, I was hoping it would go a lil faster :( I guess I should buy my ticket for July then, i wasnt sure if it was going to be faster than that.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
platana said:
Thanks MusicQueen, I was hoping it would go a lil faster :( I guess I should buy my ticket for July then, i wasnt sure if it was going to be faster than that.

Sorry Planta, it's going to be a long time yet, so buy that ticket and visit frequently. Take pictures. Save your receipts for everything. You will need all thi stuff at the interview.

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator: