F-1 Visa

Juan

Apr 22, 2003
Has anyone had any expierence trying to get a F-1 Visa for a Dominican resident.

I already have applied at the school in the US and have received the I-20 portion.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Juan said:
Has anyone had any expierence trying to get a F-1 Visa for a Dominican resident.

I already have applied at the school in the US and have received the I-20 portion.

My girlfriend got the F-1 student visa last month from the US consulate in Santo Domingo. I don’t know what the success rate is compared to other types of nonimmigrant visas but she got the F-1 visa even though she was denied a tourist visa last July.

She had to go to Banco Popular and pay for the consular appointmet (like $100) and pay for a PIN for like $15 so that she could call the consulate and schedule her interview date. She then took the I-20 package from the American school to the appointment with a lot of documentation but the consular officer only looked at the I-20, her DS 156 application, and her passport. They asked her only a few questions:
Who is going to pay for your schooling?
Why is this person going to pay for it?
Do you plan on working in the US?
What are your plans after you finish school in the US?
Have you traveled outside DR before?
Who are the people that you are going to stay with in the US?
Why do you want to study in the US if you are already a university student in DR?

The consular officer tried to make her nervous initially when asking the questions but eased off when he could tell she was telling the truth about herself. It took like 5 minutes and she got the visa in her passport later the same day.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
I`m a resident in the Dominican Rep., and I had an F1 visa since 3 months ago. I can say it was pretty easy to get it. However, I`m a EU citizen, and I have never been denied a Visa. As Chris Nj said, the first thing you should do is get the pin and schedule an appointment in the US consulate. Before the meeting, you should already have the i-20.

During the appointment, the consular officer will ask questions as:
To what college are you going?
What are you studying?
Who is going to pay for it?
etc...

You just have to answer and that`s all. In my case, they didn`t try to make me nervous, and the meeting was over in less than 3 mins.