If you look around you can get all of these fine foods

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I saw this in the El Caribe yesterday and thought you might lke to see that all of these are available here.

Ten great items for good health

Nature provides many foods that can contribute to good health, and fortunately, all of them are readily available in the Dominican Republic. According to nutritionist Ana Coste de Hern?ndez, the consumption of these foods does not imply any secondary risks, and there is no fear that other organs might be harmed by their consumption. Celery helps high blood pressure since it is rich in potassium. It is also good for the kidneys, increasing urine flow and calming the nervous system. The tomato is a nearly universal plus: diuretic, tranquilizer, and rich in minerals. When eaten whole it is also a good laxative, and, as anyone that watches television knows, it has great anti-oxidants and licopene that fight cancer. Apples keep sugar levels stable, and helps eliminate heavy metals from the system. At the same time it is good for constipation and diarrhea. They clean the teeth and strengthen the gums. They are also good for the heart and blood circulation. Garlic, perhaps the most studied of all plants, is a friend of the heart. It reduces blood pressure and cholesterol, and helps keep the arteries open. Prolonged use might help in the prevention of some types of cancer. The avocado is cholesterol free and sodium free. It has only 5 grams of fat in 30 grams of avocado, and the fat is known as the good fat. It is the fruit with the most dietetic fiber and is rich in B vitamins and folic acid. Grapes, while not recommended for diabetics are great laxatives and are also used for their minerals. Wheat is rich in carbohydrates that provided energy. Wheat also has good fiber and B vitamins, and is said to fight off breast, uterine and prostate cancers because of the antioxidants. Olive oil is basic to good health. Its use retards aging because of the antioxidants and its use can help with ulcers and excess acidity. The ubiquitous pineapple that seems to be on every corner is good for fevers and digestive problems, as well as throat infections. It is said to be a protector of the heart. Pineapples have anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic properties, and it is known to help forestall arteriosclerosis. And honey, which is great for the skin, and contains amino-acids and enzymes that are essential for cells. Honey helps to absorb calcium during digestion, and is rich in vitamins and minerals. It is sweet, and has antibiotic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and anticancer properties. Most of these foods are found in every corner of the country, so eat up and get healthy!

HB :D:D:D:D

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Excellent post Hillbilly! What I found facinating was the pineapple when my family and I visited the DR. I have continued the habit of eating and drinking pineapple juice and its fruit and have noticed a significant differance in my skin's health, digestive and immune system. Must be because the juice from the pineapple has lower levels of aciditiy then other juices, especially the standard orange variety.
Just to add, the DR culture's diet in comparison to that of our Canadian diet is far healthier because of the abundance of fruit and vegetables as consistent elements in food production. We seem to be bread eaters and are tradioned in the meat and potato eating habits. (A generalization of course, but how many of us while have more then one or two pieces/varieties of fruit /vegtable a day).
Our memories of our trip to the DR are remembered each day as we have changed our habits of eating to include pineapple, avacado (hidiously expensive here!) and more vegtable varieties.
Thanks for the post it was very well recieved.
Cheers Toby
P.S. Still drink DR coffee everyday...now that i have found a store to supply it!(worth the extra cost for the instant buzzz!)

A

apostropheman

DR coffee in Canada?

Hi Toby,

Where did you find DR coffee in Canada and at what price?

I'm in Toronto now and have run out. Luckily for me I'll be back "home" over the xmas holiday and can get more from the source.

thanks

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I saw this in the El Caribe yesterday and thought you might lke to see that all of these are available here.

Nature provides many foods that can contribute to good health, and fortunately, all of them are readily available in the Dominican Republic. According to nutritionist Ana Coste de Hern?ndez, the consumption of these foods does not imply any secondary risks, and there is no fear that other organs might be harmed by their consumption. Celery helps high blood pressure since it is rich in potassium. It is also good for the kidneys, increasing urine flow and calming the nervous system. The tomato is a nearly universal plus: diuretic, tranquilizer, and rich in minerals. When eaten whole it is also a good laxative, and, as anyone that watches television knows, it has great anti-oxidants and licopene that fight cancer. Apples keep sugar levels stable, and helps eliminate heavy metals from the system. At the same time it is good for constipation and diarrhea. They clean the teeth and strengthen the gums. They are also good for the heart and blood circulation. Garlic, perhaps the most studied of all plants, is a friend of the heart. It reduces blood pressure and cholesterol, and helps keep the arteries open. Prolonged use might help in the prevention of some types of cancer. The avocado is cholesterol free and sodium free. It has only 5 grams of fat in 30 grams of avocado, and the fat is known as the good fat. It is the fruit with the most dietetic fiber and is rich in B vitamins and folic acid. Grapes, while not recommended for diabetics are great laxatives and are also used for their minerals. Wheat is rich in carbohydrates that provided energy. Wheat also has good fiber and B vitamins, and is said to fight off breast, uterine and prostate cancers because of the antioxidants. Olive oil is basic to good health. Its use retards aging because of the antioxidants and its use can help with ulcers and excess acidity. The ubiquitous pineapple that seems to be on every corner is good for fevers and digestive problems, as well as throat infections. It is said to be a protector of the heart. Pineapples have anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic properties, and it is known to help forestall arteriosclerosis. And honey, which is great for the skin, and contains amino-acids and enzymes that are essential for cells. Honey helps to absorb calcium during digestion, and is rich in vitamins and minerals. It is sweet, and has antibiotic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and anticancer properties. Most of these foods are found in every corner of the country, so eat up and get healthy!

HB, That is a very informative post
Did they mention anything or do you know of any fruits or vegetables to help the brains other than the contributors listed here for good blood flow and the big scam of NONI Juice? I need something good for my wife.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
In Quebec and Montreal

You can find Santo Domingo coffee and also....get ready for this...MISTOLIN... I always had to bring some to my mom to remind her of the DR, but now she found it in a Mexican store in Quebec! ;)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Toby...........

toby said:
Excellent post Hillbilly! What I found facinating was the pineapple when my family and I visited the DR. I have continued the habit of eating and drinking pineapple juice and its fruit and have noticed a significant differance in my skin's health, digestive and immune system. Must be because the juice from the pineapple has lower levels of aciditiy then other juices, especially the standard orange variety.
Just to add, the DR culture's diet in comparison to that of our Canadian diet is far healthier because of the abundance of fruit and vegetables as consistent elements in food production. We seem to be bread eaters and are tradioned in the meat and potato eating habits. (A generalization of course, but how many of us while have more then one or two pieces/varieties of fruit /vegtable a day).
Our memories of our trip to the DR are remembered each day as we have changed our habits of eating to include pineapple, avacado (hidiously expensive here!) and more vegtable varieties.
Thanks for the post it was very well recieved.
Cheers Toby
P.S. Still drink DR coffee everyday...now that i have found a store to supply it!(worth the extra cost for the instant buzzz!)

Try cutting the pineapple into pieces and putting in mixer with ice and a little sugar...mix it into a smoothie. It has a nice froth on top and is delicious. My wife makes this all the time. Got to have enough ice to give it some thickness like a malt. She puts the sugar in but that is probably not needed. They put sugar in everything here.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Hillbilly said:

I identified only to ingredients used to make a greek salad. Tomato and
olive oil. Great stuff I may say. Have you followed the recipe and made
one salad? I you haven't perhaps you should. Apart from a good tasting
"meal" this type of salad is also known to lower one's golf handicap!

Just kidding...Georgios.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
A Nice Fast Salad...

Lettuce is the lighter green bell shaped lettuce at SuperMercado National in Santiago. I will get the name next time I buy it. Wash it and Chop Chop it up...place in bowl. Take an apple and cut into small pieces and add. Take an orange and cut out the meat. cut orange into small clean pieces and add.
Take about three spoonfuls of mayonaise in a small bowl. Cut one or two lemons and sqeeze out juice into mayonaise. Stir it up. This is your salad dressing. I add a little pepper to my dressing. Add the dressing to your salad as you serve it. The salad will keep better that way. It is fast to make, nice and light, sweet and tart. Refreshing on a hot day.