I had my own DR part LOL!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Just sharing a little story?..
This is how it began; I was saving my Presidente beer from my last trip in April so I could drink it on a hot summer day! I kept it really cold and waited for the prefect day!
I had my friend over who went with me on this last trip so we can have a DR day :classic: .
We put our bikinis on, brought out the Merengue and Bachata music and relaxed on our beach chairs lol! We brought out our album and reminisced about our trip and laughed remembering all of our adventures. Oh how we miss it!
We ate food and had our Presidente and at one point we closed our eyes and pretended we were on the beach in the DR :cool: !
Yes having a Presidente in my backyard in Canada isn?t the same as being on a beach in the DR that?s for sure :laugh: ! But it was fun and brought us back to some memories of our last trip! :classic:
The DR really can have an affect on a person, just look at us ;) :laugh:
The DR is a beautiful country with some great people! I always have a great time!

So are we crazy? Does anyone else do such silly stuff all because we love the DR? :laugh:

URock

Feb 10, 2003
Music said:
Just sharing a little story…..
This is how it began; I was saving my Presidente beer from my last trip in April so I could drink it on a hot summer day! I kept it really cold and waited for the prefect day!
I had my friend over who went with me on this last trip so we can have a DR day :classic: .
We put our bikinis on, brought out the Merengue and Bachata music and relaxed on our beach chairs lol! We brought out our album and reminisced about our trip and laughed remembering all of our adventures. Oh how we miss it!
We ate food and had our Presidente and at one point we closed our eyes and pretended we were on the beach in the DR :cool: !
Yes having a Presidente in my backyard in Canada isn’t the same as being on a beach in the DR that’s for sure :laugh: ! But it was fun and brought us back to some memories of our last trip! :classic:
The DR is a beautiful country with some great people! I always have a great time!

So are we crazy? Does anyone else do such silly stuff all because we love the DR? :laugh:

Not able to answer your question.......... still stuck on the bikini part! :lick:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I envy you!

I make a pot of strong Dominican coffee every morning, and have been cooking Dominican recipes at an increasing rate, proportional to the intensity of my nostalgia for my adopted country. Tomorrow I am making moro de habichuelas negras. A Presidente - not available in my part of the world - would be the icing on the cake.

Chiri

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Chiri- oh yes I love to go to this really good Dominican restaruant plus it reminds me of the DR!
That's it you have now inspired me to try and make a Dominican dish I'm going to do it! If you have more recipes that you want to share let me know please!!
Now my Presidente is finished :disappoin but it just means I have to head to the DR again to get some more :classic:

Chirimoya said:
I make a pot of strong Dominican coffee every morning, and have been cooking Dominican recipes at an increasing rate, proportional to the intensity of my nostalgia for my adopted country. Tomorrow I am making moro de habichuelas negras. A Presidente - not available in my part of the world - would be the icing on the cake.

Chiri

tiitu

Jun 29, 2004
Music said:

If you are crazy, you're not alone!
Yes, we have done a lot of silly stuff, just to get bit more close to our soul's homeland DR.

Most of us Finns have a summer cottage somewhere in countryside. So do we, we have our own little island and a small cottage in it in south-west of Finland. There we pretend to be like in Dom.Rep. Playing loud merengue, cooking dominican food and taking sun baths next to the sea. The only problem is, that we don't get so many very hot days (at least not this summer) in here. This summer it has rained more than in years. So I had to pretend, that we were in the middle of Tropical Storm this time ;)

The sillyest (or most wonderful) stuff we have done though is our own Dominican Wedding in Finland. Our wedding march and wedding walz were bachata, the cooking was dominican food and the punch was made out 151 - of course! I loved to see our friends learning to dance bachata and merengue and many of our guest decided to visit there some day after that party.

So, some of DR crazy people up here too :lick:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Music said:
If you have more recipes that you want to share let me know please!!
QUOTE]

Everything you need can be found on www.dominicancooking.com although depending on where you are, it may be a little hard to find some of the more Dominican ingredients. Buen provecho!

Chiri

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Oh I love your story! Good for you sounds like so much fun you had and it's sounds like such a fun wedding I love it!!!

tiitu said:
Yes, we have done a lot of silly stuff, just to get bit more close to our soul's homeland DR.

Most of us Finns have a summer cottage somewhere in countryside. So do we, we have our own little island and a small cottage in it in south-west of Finland. There we pretend to be like in Dom.Rep. Playing loud merengue, cooking dominican food and taking sun baths next to the sea. The only problem is, that we don't get so many very hot days (at least not this summer) in here. This summer it has rained more than in years. So I had to pretend, that we were in the middle of Tropical Storm this time ;)

The sillyest (or most wonderful) stuff we have done though is our own Dominican Wedding in Finland. Our wedding march and wedding walz were bachata, the cooking was dominican food and the punch was made out 151 - of course! I loved to see our friends learning to dance bachata and merengue and many of our guest decided to visit there some day after that party.

mamichula

Jun 3, 2004
Enamorado con Republica Dominicana

Lucky for me, I live in NY, about 10 minutes from Washington Heights. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to return to Puerto Plata again this year, I went to the Dominican day parade last Sunday in Manhattan. It was wonderful. I had my bandera and waved it along with everyone else. I may not be dominicana thru blood, but I am dominicana in my heart and soul. Claro que si! and thanks Chiri for the great recipe website.
tiitu said:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Great story Music

What a great story. Let me see if I can get in the spirit. Ok, I have just finished talking on the telephone with Tonya, it?s late and before I go to bed I decide to look at some recent photos that I took of her on my last trip. (Oh I love this one, what a lovely see-through white teddy)

As I admire this Dominican beauty I decide to have a few shots of Brugal, straight up, woops I had better not describe this photo. Oh no, a little duro, aqu?, better call her back.

Hello my love, how about a little pillow talk tonight.

And you think you had fun.
Charlie

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
You have me lauging really hard chukuindy!! I wasn't suprised though when I read your post I was expecting something like that, too funny!
Still laughing!!

chuckuindy said:
What a great story. Let me see if I can get in the spirit. Ok, I have just finished talking on the telephone with Tonya, it?s late and before I go to bed I decide to look at some recent photos that I took of her on my last trip. (Oh I love this one, what a lovely see-through white teddy)

As I admire this Dominican beauty I decide to have a few shots of Brugal, straight up, woops I had better not describe this photo. Oh no, a little duro, aqu?, better call her back.

Hello my love, how about a little pillow talk tonight.

And you think you had fun.
Charlie

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Noticed

mamichula said:
Lucky for me, I live in NY, about 10 minutes from Washington Heights. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to return to Puerto Plata again this year, I went to the Dominican day parade last Sunday in Manhattan. It was wonderful. I had my bandera and waved it along with everyone else. I may not be dominicana thru blood, but I am dominicana in my heart and soul. Claro que si! and thanks Chiri for the great recipe website.

I noticed this is your first post. Welcome, and please let us hear more from you.
Charlie

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Music said:
Yes having a Presidente in my backyard in Canada isn?t the same as being on a beach in the DR that?s for sure :laugh: ! But it was fun and brought us back to some memories of our last trip! :classic:

why day dream about it when im there every 2-3 months :laugh:

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Another DR lover

Music said:

Glad to see that there are other people who are as crazy as I am. Since my last trip which was in March, the only music I'm listening to is bachata and merengue, and I play that music all day at work and at home and at the summer cottage. I and my husband has also changed from vodka (Koskenkorva) to rhum. The only problem is that you can't find any Brugal in Finland, but we have found another rhum here which is very near to Brugal.

Our friends think that we are crazy because we like everything dominican so much and they have a hard time understanding why. Somehow I find difficult to describe what DR is all about, it is so many wonderful things.

Only 3 more weeks and we are back in DR. I'm aware about all the problems there are right now, but I think it will only be a challenge at a our trip - a new experience. We will be staying among local people.

Tiitu:
I think we must seriously think about arranging a dominican evening in Finland.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I feel homesick

I do enough crazy things to try be in DR in my mind. Like play my Bachata loud enough to cause distortion in my car.
But right now, I am sitting in my cubicle in Salt lake city wishing I were on a park bench in Mao eating a hot dog. Those are the best heart attacks in the world.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Oh Chareena thanks it's good to know that others are just as crazy as me :laugh:

I understand most of my friends don't understand why I'm obssessed with the DR. They already call me a Bachata freak I'm always listening to it, I dance and sing in the car it's crazy. I keep telling people you have to go to experience it and then they might understand.

Lucky you have losts of fun for me! I'm working a second job saving away for my next trip and can't wait! :classic: It's much more fun to stay with local people and explore the real island I learned that on my last trip I explored a lot more this time and I had a blast!!

Chareena said:
Glad to see that there are other people who are as crazy as I am. Since my last trip which was in March, the only music I'm listening to is bachata and merengue, and I play that music all day at work and at home and at the summer cottage. I and my husband has also changed from vodka (Koskenkorva) to rhum. The only problem is that you can't find any Brugal in Finland, but we have found another rhum here which is very near to Brugal.

Our friends think that we are crazy because we like everything dominican so much and they have a hard time understanding why. Somehow I find difficult to describe what DR is all about, it is so many wonderful things.

Only 3 more weeks and we are back in DR. I'm aware about all the problems there are right now, but I think it will only be a challenge at a our trip - a new experience. We will be staying among local people.

Tiitu:
I think we must seriously think about arranging a dominican evening in Finland.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
too funny

stewart just think your not alone we can form a group called " A2DR " addicted to DR :laugh: Just kidding. It's better to have memories than to have nothing so I must hang on to those until I return to the DR heeee!
I listen to my music really loud too there is no other way to hear it :laugh:

stewart said:
I do enough crazy things to try be in DR in my mind. Like play my Bachata loud enough to cause distortion in my car.
But right now, I am sitting in my cubicle in Salt lake city wishing I were on a park bench in Mao eating a hot dog. Those are the best heart attacks in the world.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
The last time we left Sosua, we packed a 6-pack of Presidente in the suitcase. We bought the large bottles. This 6-pack lasted 2 months here because the only time we open one is when we come home extremely stressed out from work.

When Doug sees me hitting the fridge and pulling out a bottle, he knows to stay clear of me for at least 30 minutes. I take the bottle to the back porch, get in my rocker, light a cig, gulp, and think of lying on Sosua beach. Works to calm me down every time.