Chiri contemplating exile (long-ish post warning)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have been away from the DR for almost three months now. My return flight is booked for August 18th but since the power situation hit rock bottom I am seriously considering extending my absence from the DR.

I face this decision with a very heavy heart, because I am missing the country I call home and was looking forward to getting back into my routine there, seeing my all friends there, and taking my son, who is now four, to his wonderful new pre-school in Santo Domingo.

On the other hand, I have no real urgent reason to go back, so my reasoning is - why should I subject myself - and my son - to the current conditions when I have a comfortable alternative here at my parents' house in Gibraltar?

As some of you may remember from the power crisis this last January, what I find most difficult about living without electricity is the pollution from all the big generators that surround our house, including the Diamond Mall, Diamond Plaza, and at least two neighbouring apartment blocks. We ourselves do not have a planta, just an inverter which cannot stand the strain of 22 hours in 24 without power.

If it were just me, I would bite the bullet and go back. I have lived in far more adverse conditions than this in my time, and part of me would consider it a challenge. :cool: However, since becoming a parent I look at things differently. I was wracked with guilt about subjecting my son to those levels of pollution in January, and seriously considered leaving the country then if things did not improve.

As things stand, I am entirely in two minds about what to do. With only six days to go I still haven't made a decision. My husband returned to the DR yesterday and when we spoke he said that things seemed a little better, but that he hadn't been there long enough to provide a basis upon which to decide. My other option is to wait another month and then decide.

So - :( - what do I do? Comments and advice welcomed. And if anyone is passing near the second southernmost tip of Europe, a Presidente would be most welcome to help me drown my considerable sorrows.

Chiri

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can FEEL you being torn in the throes of a dilemma, Chiri. I can't speak for your part of Santo Domingo, as I'm in Puerto Plata, but I would say blackouts are longer now than they were last January. Let your husband monitor the situation for at least a week before he concludes whether it is better or worse than before.
I commend the way you shoulder responsibility as a mother. A good lesson for us all.
If you only have an inverter & it isn't getting fully charged, Chirimoyito may have problems sleeping without a fan, quite apart from all the industrial pollution.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Lambada. Yet another reason for returning to the DR is to meet all the DR1 friends I haven't met yet, like you for example!

The point about the fan is a good one. In January we were enjoying unusually cool weather so sleeping without a fan was not a problem. It is a different matter altogether in August and September.

Chiri

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
As a parent, I fully understand your dilemma. We almost left the DR in our first year because the air pollution in SD triggered a series of very bad bronchial asthma attacks in my daughter (something we never had to deal with in Virginia), one instance even putting her in the hospital for a few days... She eventually developed some resistance, thank god. But it was touch-and-go. I also had some bronchial asthma problems, but my vulnerability to that was long-known (since childhood) and I knew how to deal with it.

And God knows how many sleepless nights we had April-Oct in SD without a fan because the blackouts then often got bad...

But on the other hand I have to say, that if you stay in exile, it will be the DR's loss. You have a lot to contribute.

It's tough. Not sure which way I would go if I were you...

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Wait a month!

Chiri,

If I was in your place, with a child and had the options, I would wait at least another month before coming down. As you know right now the present government doesn?t give a D*** about the electricity. Next Monday the new government will enter in power and if changes are made it will take sometimes to feel them! I personally have been in the DR for the past 11 years so I am used to the cuts but lately it has been so bad here in Santo Domingo that I?m getting pretty frustrated! Come in a month and the Presidente will be much cooler! ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Do what you think is best for your child.

Good luck with your decision and I hope it is made easier through improved power conditions in the near future.

Larry

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you have the choice of coming down now or later, I would suggest waiting until November or December. You know that by then the temperature's cooler, and by that date you'll know which way the country's heading. Right now the night are unbearable. I don't have an inversor and end up taking a cold shower (from a bucket) and laying my towel down on my bed to lie on top of it. It's that bad. I haven't left because my life is here now but had it been 7 years ago, I just might have gone back...

Whatever decision you make, I'm sure it'll be the best one for both of you.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For those of you suffering from respiratory problems that might be exacerbated by these extra pollutants in our tropical air, you should really consider purchasing an Air Purifier. If interested PM me and I'll see what I can do. I have connection with a company that offers the best air purifiers in the world, the problem is that they are in the US and I don't really know if they deliver or sell the products here. However, if interested, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

BTW, this same company also offers whole house water purification systems, portable water purifiers (perfect when heading into the "campo") and other high quality items.

Consider an air purifier even if you have Central A/C, because usually A/C systems filters tend to catch only the bigger particles and let the microscopic and microbial (the ones that make people sick) particles continue to circulate in the air. So, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Chiri, I'm so sorry you and so many others are going through this. I'm praying that the whole situation gets better.

I know you'll make the best decision, but I do like juanita's suggestion, though -- waiting another month ~ for Chirimoyito's (< hee hee, that's cute) sake.

Good luck my friend, I really wish I could do more to help....a cold Presidente via email okay? :(

Nal0whs: Do these Air Purifiers run on batteries?

-Indie

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks to all of you for all the valuable advice and good wishes. The consensus seems to be that we should wait one more month and then review the situation. I have an alternative flight booked for September 21st.

Nal, I don't think an air purifier would be any match for the level of acrid diesel fumes that envelop our neighbourhood when all those generators are running. Unless of course they are industrial sized air purifiers, if such a thing exists.

On a related point, I am curious to hear what people are doing about refrigeration and food preparation in these conditions.

Chiri

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Packing the freezer section with ice - one of those big bags, divided into lots of small ones, rammed into every little space (double wrap the bags to preserve ice longer). Keeping freezer crammed full (even only with bread), cooking meat on purchase (curries etc) & then freezing after it is cooked. With 7/8 hours power a day the ice is lasting 3 days & getting used in drinks.Before the planta, doing frequent mopping outs! And buying cold meats, cheese etc from BIG supermarkets, with Big plantas, every other day.
Watch the milk, though, Chiri. In fridge it goes off really fast. Many supermarkets are now only stocking UHT & not pasteurised.

Apr 26, 2002
Chiri,

How about renting a place for a little while in Constanza or somewhere else where air conditioning is not needed and generators are few and far between?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Nal, I don't think an air purifier would be any match for the level of acrid diesel fumes that envelop our neighbourhood when all those generators are running. Unless of course they are industrial sized air purifiers, if such a thing exists.

Chiri

You will be surprised what these air purifiers are capable of doing. Its not like if they only have one filter, they have two pre-filters, and then some other four filters, a special additional filter made from a material currently being used by US military in Iraq to combat chemical warfare (imagine how efficient and clean the air comes out of these air purifiers). They also have an ionization stage and they give a bit of ozone, which if you don't know, ozone is an unstable element that needs some other element to "survive", usually the other element is a toxin or pollution particle found in the air. Again, you'll be surprised and you will notice how much better you feel and how much cleaner your home air will be. Again, if interested give me a PM and I'll get to work to find out more about it.

The only down side is that, of course, it runs on electricity. These machines have timers and are much more energy efficient than most, so maybe it won't be much of a strain on your planta. But hey, the healthier air that you will be breathing will make it worthwhile.

Some of my friends own a filter and they tell me they have more energy, they feel better, they don't get sick as often, and they sleep like babies. So, it must be working. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Chiri - I agree with the others - wait another month. Also, someone suggested staying somewhere else.

That was the first question on my mind - do you have to live in the city?

or what about a buying/renting a condo that has a generator for the tenants instead of living in a house?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hi Chiri, nice to hear from you - sorry about your quandry. I'm here in the US b/c of my kids... so I understand your pain.

Nawlaws: I have an air purifier for my son, but in order for it to do its job, it has to run 24/7 - I dont think it is an option for people who dont have continous power.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Porfi, going back to the DR but staying in another part of the country is an option I have considered. My choice, though, would be Las Galeras (another place with an off-grid private electricity supply) where we have friends and relatives, but in the short term the simplest thing is to stay put. After all, being away from the capital would still mean being away from the new school and after-school activities my son is down for, and from my husband whose work is usually in the city.

Moving house is something we discuss from time to time, because we would like to live in a more pedestrian-friendly neighbourhood like Gazcue or Bella Vista, but it is a longer term process. If we did it because of the power situation by the time the house sale and apartment purchase transactions were complete the crisis might - with any luck - be over anyway.

If I complain so bitterly about the pollution other people's plantas create, I don't think I should use one myself as long as there is an alternative.

Thanks for so much helpful feedback, and to those who have PM-ed!

Chiri

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
What`s to decide....

Chirimoya said:
.... However, since becoming a parent I look at things differently. I was wracked with guilt about subjecting my son to those levels of pollution in January, and seriously considered leaving the country then if things did not improve.

As things stand, I am entirely in two minds about what to do. With only six days to go I still haven't made a decision. My husband returned to the DR yesterday and when we spoke he said that things seemed a little better, but that he hadn't been there long enough to provide a basis upon which to decide. My other option is to wait another month and then decide.
Chiri
really? One always does what`s best for the children. Wouldn`t your husband be the best counsel in this decision? Friends don`t always provide the best advice in any event....no matter how close they may be.

Hope it turns out well for you. Best, Bill

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
pasha said:
really? One always does what`s best for the children. Wouldn`t your husband be the best counsel in this decision? Friends don`t always provide the best advice in any event....no matter how close they may be.

Hope it turns out well for you. Best, Bill

Thanks Bill. My husband's advice is to wait before deciding. What is best for the child is debatable here because on the one hand there is the pollution/living without electricity problem, on the other hand I am keeping him out of school for what could end up being more than just a couple of weeks. Hence my dilemma.

Chiri

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Chiri has an excellent head on her shoulders.

While she is seeking advice from her board friends, it's the weighting of the offered advice which is the determining factor in how seriously it gets factored into the final decision. This is what matters most.

Obviously, those who know Chiri by her posts, know the weighting which will be given to her husband's counsel.

There is no doubt that the child's welfare is foremost is her mind.

Good luck Chiri.

Gregg