President elect on WNYC 93.9 FM

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Jeffery Sachs

Blames Hippo 100%. Says that the problems are country centric not global.

Because of this, he says that the economy goes sharply down (as we've seend), but then it goes up sharply.

He predicts 1 to 1 1/2 years.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I was amazed at how articulate Leonel is in English. I heard him a million times in Spanish when I lived in SD, and knew he was intelligent and speaks articulately in Spanish, but his English was nearly impeccable! The only very minor thing I caught was the traditional Dominican mistake of calling electricity "the light." (alright, alright, guys, before you attack me, I know well why Dominicans refer to it that way! Just saying that proper English says "power" or "electricity").

Jeffrey Sachs said that Hippo's blaming external factors for the crisis was basically nonsense. He said if that were true, then his own economic forecast for the DR wouldn't envision a sharp improvement in next year or so...

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
posted this on another site

Leonel, Ramona Hernandez, and Jeffery Sachs are being interviewed on the WNYC radio (public radio in New York City).

When Lopete asked Leonel about the electrical problem, he spoke only about the devaluation of the peso. The issue of corruption was absent in his answer. Sachs blames the economy strictly on internal (Mejia) reasons. Ramona added the people basically lost confidence in the current administration. Leonel said he wants to reduce government spending, increase revenues, and deal with the Central Bank (after bailing out 3 banks). He only need a billion US to fix the exchange rate problem. I wonder where he would like to see the peso compared with the dollar.

To deal with the issue of public protests, Leonel talked about distributing food and getting the lights back on without any specifics. Sachs then talked about the international institutions and their role in not putting too much pressure on the DR. They are usually the culprits so I'm not confident. As far as food prices and getting the lights on, my fingers are crossed. To lower food prices, it will only hurt local production or cause high government subsidies. I have been a student of the electrical situation since the late 80's and it may have to completely fall apart before it really gets fixed.

Ramona avoided the question about Dominican troops in Iraq. Probably concerned about federal funding at City College (I don't blame her) Leonel said he will not send troops back but remain a friend of the US. It would be impossible for him to publically oppose the US war.

On AIDS, Leonel talked about the real problem being in Haiti. He is "getting help" on this issue. This was maybe the weakest answer he gave.

He needs a congressional majority to repeal the selling off of public lands. They has to be some way to get this delayed or something, through an executive order. He likes CAFTA, of course, didn't he start the talks when he was president the first time.

While managing a small business in the DR during Leonel's first term, I saw many improvements in the way government funcitioned. His last year, things reverted back the old ways when it became fairly obvious he would lose. Dealing with the issue of corruption is the only way to improvement the economy and generally people's lives. Without it, not matter what you try to accomplish, it will be sucked into the black hole of individual interests.

Tom Forbes

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
It was an optimistic interview. Leonel certainly is a "talker" but let's hope his actions can bring about the "V" shape economic recovery that Mr. Sachs spoke about.