Options For Leaving The Country...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am thinking that when I return in a week, I will give it a couple months to see how things go with the new gov. and see if they can turn the electricity problem around. If not then I am thinking of taking my wife and daughter out of the country on a long vacation. The question is where. It has to be somewhere that is not to expensive...where we can stay for months...yet a place that is stable...and one that is easy to enter for a dominican. I was thinking of Guatamala because I have a good friend that would lend me his vacation home in the mountains. But, Guatamala requires a visa...so that may not be possible. Maybe Peru...I have connections there.

Anyone have any suggestions?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good places are the following:

Panama, Costa Rica, Chile, or Uruguay.

I'm not sure of the qualifications for those places, but they sure are nice spots in Latin America.

Guatemala has some serious crime problems right now so, really really think before making the plunge there.

Peru is ok, then again Lima is terribly overcrowded and dangerous and the air is unbreatheable during times of the year, makes SDQ air seem pristine.

Of course, the countries I mention above are not 100% crime free or pollution free, they are pleasant places overall.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Buenos Aires, Argentina. A Dominican only needs a valid passport. The city is like New York, only for a fraction of the price. The restaurants are world class. There are also many cultural events and shows there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
SKY said:
Buenos Aires, Argentina. A Dominican only needs a valid passport. The city is like New York, only for a fraction of the price. The restaurants are world class. There are also many cultural events and shows there.

Excellent choice. I love Buenos Aires, however, yes there is a however, have you been watching Noticiero Universal lately?

Buenos Aires has up to 5 murders per day nowadays. Its probably more dangerous than New York right now, so for safety sake, think it twice. But its still a fabulous metropolis. One of the finest Latin American cities in my opinion.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nicaragua

No visa needed ( though getting there with no connections that need a visa woudl be a trick), safe, cleaner than SD, has power, cheap or reasonably so, and nice people.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Slightly off subject Snuffy, but I think you ought to give Leonel a few more months than just the two!! He will need at least 6 to get things moving in a Forward motion & another 6 - 12 months to start seeing the rewards!

I appreciate personal safety for you & the family MUST come first, but if it is just a matter of power outages, lack of services etc, ,,,, DO try to last it out a few more months!! I am hoping (like everyone else that lives here) that you will not be disappointed for so doing!! - Grahame.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
This would be until the situation gets better...

then we would return. The problem with DR is that if you are acustomed to milder temperatures or colder temperatures...then you almost need an AC. I am often sick in the DR because of the heat. And, I have talked to others from USA who experience a feeling of being less healthy, no energy, etc. Twice I have returned to the USA thinking there was something seriously wrong with my health...only to find that after being here for a month my health returned and I feel great. So eventually we may have to move up into the mountains of the DR or move to the USA.

Thanks all for input. I need to research these different countries.