Reliable way to send mail to the DR???

allanM

Aug 13, 2004
I will shortly be moving to the DR, but have read that about 80% of mail sent from overseas never arrives.

I have accounts with Mail Boxes Etc. in the USA and Canada for the forwarding, but am concerned about checks (cheques) and other import items being lost.

I priced a courier service, but found them prohibitively expensive for constant use. I'm wondering if DR residents have any suggestions?

Thanks for your time, AllanM.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Many of us use EPS. You get an address in Florida that you send mail to, then it is taken by courier to the DR. Many others use Business Mail. It offers a similar service. Both EPS and Business Mail have local ofices in many places in the DR. I live in Sosua and there is an EPS office here. The closest Business Mail office is Puerto Plata.

allanM

Aug 13, 2004
EPS & Business Mail

Ken said:
Many of us use EPS. You get an address in Florida that you send mail to, then it is taken by courier to the DR. Many others use Business Mail. It offers a similar service. Both EPS and Business Mail have local ofices in many places in the DR. I live in Sosua and there is an EPS office here. The closest Business Mail office is Puerto Plata.

Thanks for the reply Ken.
I've tracked down a web site for EPS:

http://www.eps-int.com/english/envios.asp

but can find nothing about "Business Mail". Do you have a web site address, or more details about them?

What does the average FedEx type envelope cost to be shipped with EPS?

Thanks again for your time. AllanM

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Business Mail

They have a site, but damned if I can find it.

Assuming you're in the capital, they have an office on Pastoriza (i believe) ....the street intersects the Olympic Park, on the West side (Av. J. Ortega y Gasset), perhaps 2 blocks north of 27 de Feb. I want to say Pastoriza, but I'm not positive.

They are on the right side (north) of the street, 2nd building from the park.

Sounds like the same deal as eps. Regular mail to and from florida, small fee for fla to dr. They will call you when you have mail waiting, or email if you prefer.

Heavy stuff gets expensive. A hard cover book may be more expensive to ship than buy.

naksu

Aug 28, 2002
Found the membership fee for Business Mail - US$10.00 / year. Does anyone know the fee for EPS?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I can recommend P.O. Box International. Basically same system but a bit cheaper. I've been with them for years and have never had any problems. Very personalized service and the owners personally attend clients. See www.pobox-intl.com

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
Prices?

Can anyone comment on the cost of Business Mail in POP vs Sosua Business Services (EPS). I think Sosua Business Services quoted me $30something a year plus 80 peso a letter. The 80 pesos a letter seemed somewhat overpriced. I remember someone told me Business Mail was more like 15 pesos a letter. Anyone know for sure? I'm moving to Sosua but will likely go to Puerto Plata once a week for groceries etc.

Also, can I set up service with Business Mail before I move down so I have an address to forward to when I leave?

Thanks.

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
Also, not to hijack this thread, could anyone tell me how much it costs to send mail out (from the D.R. to the U.S.) through any of these services. I thought that I could complete all of my graduate school applications online, but I need to send some paperwork into the departments to which I am applying. I'll be sending in a 50-page paper (I am going to try to print it double-sided somehow), a personal statement, and maybe 3-4 other sheets of paper. I'm not sure how much this will weighh exactly, but I am assuming that it won't be cheap. Has anyone found any of these services to be particularly reliable for mailing similar items out at a decent price? Thank you.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thebes said:
Can anyone comment on the cost of Business Mail in POP vs Sosua Business Services (EPS). I think Sosua Business Services quoted me $30something a year plus 80 peso a letter. The 80 pesos a letter seemed somewhat overpriced. I remember someone told me Business Mail was more like 15 pesos a letter. Anyone know for sure? I'm moving to Sosua but will likely go to Puerto Plata once a week for groceries etc.

Also, can I set up service with Business Mail before I move down so I have an address to forward to when I leave?

Thanks.

Thebes,
From conversations I have overheard in the past, Sosua Business Services give an excellent service. Experience of EPS here in Puerto Plata has shown me that they are quite a bit more expensive than Business Mail however & obviously Sosua Business Services will have to pass this cost on to the client!!

Try contacting Business Mail direct at their Miami Office so that they can fax or e-mail you their rates.
They are -
Atallah Business Group
6911 North Street 87 Av.
Miami, Florida, US 33178

Tel (305) 593 5383
Fax (305) 593 5356

Rubia_Gringa,
Sorry I don't have the rates for you but try contating their Puerto Plata Offices.
Plaza Turisol Local #33
Primer Modulo
Carret. Luperon Km 2.
Puerto Plata

Tel (809) 970 0942
Fax (809) 970 1208
The Asistente Servicio de cliente is Mirian Calderon & her e-mail is calderon_mirian@hotmail.com.

Good luck to both & if you think I can help more, just PM or yell me!! - Grahame.