Country Living

newstart

Aug 13, 2004
I am planning on moving to the DR in a few short months. I have read many of the post about the cost of living in the City, which does not help me as I want to live in the mountanous regions (country). Where would one look to find country properities, ie not beach front? Is this property inexpensive? and what are some of the major concerns when living in the DR outback? :classic:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
newstart said:
I am planning on moving to the DR in a few short months. I have read many of the post about the cost of living in the City, which does not help me as I want to live in the mountanous regions (country). Where would one look to find country properities, ie not beach front? Is this property inexpensive? and what are some of the major concerns when living in the DR outback? :classic:

Go to www.super-casas.com

or www.century21.com.do
www.remaxnorthcoast.com
www.coldwellbakerdominicana.com

Usually, you would check the location of the property. If they are in Jarabacoa or Constanza area, they are in your league.

Country properties can be inexpensive, moderate, or expensive, depending on personal tastes and proximity to a major town. However, most properties are in the inexpensive to moderate price range, unless in or near a town or tourist zone.

Possible Major Concerns:

Running water availability
Electricity availability (this one is for anywhere in the DR)
Telecommunications availability
Flooding possibilities
Mudslides possibilities
Condition of possible emergency roads (in case you would need to quickly evaquate for whatever reason)

and the proximity to modern amenities for your day to day living.

eudi

*** Sin Bin ***
May 7, 2004
think big

the best thing to do is to buy the land then build and design your on house .is not expensive trust me, just check the place you like, get a friend from those surroundings or a farmer that know the area .and trust me i know what im taking about you cant get to have a nice mountains mansion around farms with real nice people, which to me are the real dominican.they are the best people to trust.and in the process you will find a lot others

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
newstart, especially when you buy land outside of areas where there is a lot of foreign buying, you must be very careful to be certain that the land you buy has a good title. There are titles for all properties, but in areas where buying and selling has mostly been between Dominicans, it is likely that property owners have kept their titles current. The title they show you may still be in the name of the grandfather who originally owned the land. You don't want to touch land like that because nobody knows how many heirs there are who will show up at your door claiming partial ownership of the land you bought. See this for info on buying real estate in the DR http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesreal.html The author is Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions in the Legal section of this board.

newstart

Aug 13, 2004
More questions

eudi said:
the best thing to do is to buy the land then build and design your on house .is not expensive trust me, just check the place you like, get a friend from those surroundings or a farmer that know the area .and trust me i know what im taking about you cant get to have a nice mountains mansion around farms with real nice people, which to me are the real dominican.they are the best people to trust.and in the process you will find a lot others

Can you give me an estimate of what the cost could possibly be? I have heard that you could buy land and build a nice house for about 25,000US? Does your estimate include septic, well, and electricity (I know that electricity is a big question mark.) Thank you for your help!