Interesting Economist...

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Maybe just the sweet....

Lambada said:
It opened ok after I sent them an email.
Why all the "n/a"s for Dominican Republic? Did someone not understand question? Or was no survey undertaken?
mystery of life

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
the most interesting thing about this is that it is the right-wing rag, the economist that has carried this report.

whether you like chavez and/or fujimori or not. at least these two know that democracy, western-style (in particular american style) does not work for all other countries, especially latin american countries.

latin american countries that continue along the path to "democracy" only find that it leads to more control to the people with the money and only breeds more corruption.
the "democracy" is always in the interests of the big businesses and foreign governments that want to do international trade with the "democracy".
unfortunately, whether you are fujimori, or chavez, or castro and you want to try an alternative path, which could benefit the people, you are immediately persecuted by the same big businesses and foreign governments that would rather bring the country to its knees rather than let it follow its own route to a real democracy.

the dominican republic's case is a little worrying, in that since the death of balaguer and the demise (and death) of juan bosch, all our political leaders are western-style democracy 'yes' men, who don't have the bottle to implement something different. hipolito thught he could, but he wanted to get rich doing it - so he failed dismally.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm half hoping Leonel does have the bottle. His pre-presidential period seems to have been spent forging more links with Europe than with N.America & for me this is a good sign. My real worry is that he would "bottle out" when faced with the threat of outside "interference" a la Haiti.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
bochinche said:
the most interesting thing about this is that it is the right-wing rag, the economist that has carried this report.

whether you like chavez and/or fujimori or not. at least these two know that democracy, western-style (in particular american style) does not work for all other countries, especially latin american countries.

latin american countries that continue along the path to "democracy" only find that it leads to more control to the people with the money and only breeds more corruption.
the "democracy" is always in the interests of the big businesses and foreign governments that want to do international trade with the "democracy".
unfortunately, whether you are fujimori, or chavez, or castro and you want to try an alternative path, which could benefit the people, you are immediately persecuted by the same big businesses and foreign governments that would rather bring the country to its knees rather than let it follow its own route to a real democracy.

the dominican republic's case is a little worrying, in that since the death of balaguer and the demise (and death) of juan bosch, all our political leaders are western-style democracy 'yes' men, who don't have the bottle to implement something different. hipolito thught he could, but he wanted to get rich doing it - so he failed dismally.

I'm sure Robert will delete this, But I hope you get a chance to read it first. You are obviously a MORON!!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Moron?

I'm sure Robert will delete this, But I hope you get a chance to read it first. You are obviously a MORON!!!

Such a cryptic message.

What?

"bochinche" -- good point!

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
I don't mean....

bochinche said:
to be too inquisitive about your personal life, but are you off your rocker? Your disjointed remarks indicate to a layman that you should be seeking professional help

Just curious, P