advice on medical insurance please

laura-jane

May 30, 2004
Hi peeps :confused:

Am moving from the u.k to Higuey at the end of september and am trying to find out about medical insurance, as thought it would be v good idea. Does any one have any recommendations of who i should contact and price for a decent annual cover. I presume most people do the same, i will not be working straight away so will not be covered by an employer.
Apart from that i am really looking forward to it and get wait to get out there.
any advice would be great!
ta

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
As your coming from the UK (as i did) there are a number of holiday insurance packages now which gives you 365 days offshore continious holiday health insurance at extremely good rates.

They dont need to know you may be out of the UK longer as you are covered for the first full year as technically you are still a UK resident and therefore qualify. There is small chance of course that after a year you may decide that life in the DR is not for you and go back to the UK. Assuming you stay past a year then there is a lot of information in the forums here on local insurance packages which are excellent value for money and can cover cover you here from minor ailments, dental, glasses etc to major surgery.

I cant remember the name of the company i used now it was a few years back but your local travel UK agent should be able to help or search on line for one of the many internet insurance deals that provide 365 day trip cover.

During my first year i did actually make a claim as i picked up a kidney infection. (don't worry i been well since) i faxed through copy of receipts, doctors note, passport and plane ticket receipt to prove the day I left the UK. 9 days later they refunded me direct to my UK bank account.

To be honest i havent even searched on here to see if there is more info on extended UK insurance so take a look first.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
PPP & Bupa both do the sort of cover Bolt refers to. You need to check the fine print for how long you are allowed to stay in any one place (no problem if you only make one claim, but if you made another 6 months later & didn't have a second airline proof of travel, it might be) AND I believe you have to organise this cover from a UK address (since the purpose of the cover is to insure you for multiple trips during a 365 day period & the assumption made is that you go "home" viz to uk after each trip).

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
above are good suggestions to test the water in the DR if you will.

you may also want to consider a local plan. although the better clinics can work with insurance companies in other countries, sometimes the process moves faster with a local plan and/or cash and for under $100 monthly you can get a decent plan for a family of 4.

the local copmpany i use is called 'SIMI' and i understand that this is one of the better plans in the DR. 1,800 pesos monthly(going up in 2005)

here is their number in Santo Domingo i just read from my card.
595-5600 597-1175

there are a few good posts on insurance companies here, so do a search for more info...........