Observations at the POP airport

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
With th3 change of regime tomorrow things were a little tense at the airport today since many jobs will soon be ending and everybody had their palm out for a final greasing.
The best part was in immigration where fake tourist cards have been cirulating for months. Today besides the tourist card booth, even a number of immigration officers were selling tourist cards. I guess it's down to every man (or woman) for himself.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
this is just so completely sad.

not the story....but you 'jerry k'.

fake tourist cards? ................what the frig for?
so the immigration people can pinch a few dollars? .....so what?
who told you this has something to do with the change of regime?
more importantly, why do you believe it?

Apr 26, 2002
Bochinche,

I must say that I've noticed it too at Las Americas. Every CESA guy wanted something "to buy a softdrink". This never happened to me before. Without first hand knowledge, it does seem like everyone's trying to rake in a last few bucks before the new sheriff comes into town.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe Bo's going to be pounding payment

Bochinche,
Since you're so critical at the statement of fact, what are you going to do when you lose your job at the airport?
Granted, who cares if the boys from immigration pick up a few bucks on the side.
But what about the poor sucker who buys one of the fake tourist cards and gets pinched on the way out for not having the real thing.
You'll be seeing a lot of new faces at the airport as things change from white to purple and to the purple go the spoils.
The DR is always going to be crooked with your attitude.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
employees at the airport have always asked for a little extra for a refresco or something...it is not new. it may be more frequent now than before, but it's not new. compared to a lot of countries - this is peanuts.

fake tourist cards is a different thing.....so the employees will get a few dollars dishing out fake cards....if there are such a thing.....but when those tourists leave and are found to have a fake tourist card, what do you think will happen to them?
they could get taken for a few dollars more....but they won't go to prison, they won't be held up to miss their plane (unless they are really dumb).

you will always see new faces with every regime change in the d.r.....and you will always see a few people trying to make a few quick bucks out of it, before any change.....it is sad, but true.

however, i'll let you know first, the day i lose my job at the airport.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
airport

I'm very happy that Leonel is going back into power...........granted he will also steal in his reing of power, but the years he spent in office before were the best ones to travel to the DR. A person could go thru immigration with no problem and when you picked up your luggage no one was bothering you for money............very rarely did they open any of the luggage and when you were going outside, the baggage helpers did not fight for your luggage;everyone waited their turn.
THE ONLY TIME I'VE EVER SEEN LAS AMERICA AIRPORT PERSONNEL BEHAVE IN AN ORDERLY WAY.

OFF WITH THE WHITE.....IN WITH THE PURPLE!!!!!! :laugh:

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Jerry K said:
Bochinche,
Since you're so critical at the statement of fact, what are you going to do when you lose your job at the airport?
Granted, who cares if the boys from immigration pick up a few bucks on the side.
But what about the poor sucker who buys one of the fake tourist cards and gets pinched on the way out for not having the real thing.
You'll be seeing a lot of new faces at the airport as things change from white to purple and to the purple go the spoils.
The DR is always going to be crooked with your attitude.

I AGREE WITH YOU........IT IS NOT VERY FAIR FOR THOSE OF US WHO BUY THESE TOURIST CARDS AT $15 AND 20$, AND WHEN WE ARE ON OUR WAY OUT WE FIND OUT THEY ARE NO GOOD. i HAVE FAMILY IN DR WHO COULD BUY MILK AND EGGS FOR THE WEEK WITH THAT, WHY SHOULD SOMEONE ELSE GET MY MONEY.
AND JUST THE THOUGHT THAT YOU'VE BEEN HAD IS FRUSTRUATING ENOUGH! :mad:
DOMINICANS ARE USED TO IT, BUT WHAT DOES THAT TELL TOURISTS ABOUT THE COUNTRY...IF YOU CAN'T TRUST PEOPLE WHO ARE IN HIGH POSITIONS AT THE AIRPORT AND WHO ARE THERE TO SERVE YOU AND WELCOME YOU....WHO CAN YOU TRUST.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I hate the bastards that ask for US$5 when I come through customs with my carry on. Last time I yelled 'what for??!!' and just walked by him. The second time I took a step back and pointed at the sign that says "Airport personnel is not ask for any payments of any kinds" (not exact wording). Of course they pretend to not being able to read it since its in English.

Until this flagrant form of highway robbery stops, the DR will always remain a 3rd world nation and distinguish itself from 'developing' nations.

Don't give me the song and dance about him 'trying to get money for food.' Its (attempted) corruption and robbery - plain and simple. Don't dress it up.

JANET/NJ said:
I AGREE WITH YOU........IT IS NOT VERY FAIR FOR THOSE OF US WHO BUY THESE TOURIST CARDS AT $15 AND 20$, AND WHEN WE ARE ON OUR WAY OUT WE FIND OUT THEY ARE NO GOOD. i HAVE FAMILY IN DR WHO COULD BUY MILK AND EGGS FOR THE WEEK WITH THAT, WHY SHOULD SOMEONE ELSE GET MY MONEY.
AND JUST THE THOUGHT THAT YOU'VE BEEN HAD IS FRUSTRUATING ENOUGH! :mad:
DOMINICANS ARE USED TO IT, BUT WHAT DOES THAT TELL TOURISTS ABOUT THE COUNTRY...IF YOU CAN'T TRUST PEOPLE WHO ARE IN HIGH POSITIONS AT THE AIRPORT AND WHO ARE THERE TO SERVE YOU AND WELCOME YOU....WHO CAN YOU TRUST.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
bochinche said:
employees at the airport have always asked for a little extra for a refresco or something...it is not new. it may be more frequent now than before, but it's not new. compared to a lot of countries - this is peanuts.

fake tourist cards is a different thing.....so the employees will get a few dollars dishing out fake cards....if there are such a thing.....but when those tourists leave and are found to have a fake tourist card, what do you think will happen to them?
they could get taken for a few dollars more....but they won't go to prison, they won't be held up to miss their plane (unless they are really dumb).

you will always see new faces with every regime change in the d.r.....and you will always see a few people trying to make a few quick bucks out of it, before any change.....it is sad, but true.

however, i'll let you know first, the day i lose my job at the airport.

I have noticed in your other posts that you deride "Gringos" for exploiting "your" country; how can you expect any thing different when you encourage people to accept any from of corruption?

Until you are a "nation of laws," tourist will expect to exploit the country as the country does them

A>

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
POP Outgoing

Just been through there on my way out for a visit to the Middle East and the hassles had grown!!
Young guy at the entry to the departures blatantly asking for Cerveza cash. No-one at the next desk, so escaped that one this time?
Immigration accepted the Cedula exit and were very friendly with no blatant requests for anything?
Had a few moments at the plane entry as 2 officious immigration officers demanded to check my passport??!! They pulled me out of the line and wanted to know why there was no stamp in my passport for exiting the DR. I pleaded ignorance for a bit, had a bit of fun winding them up, pretended to know nothing or to be able to understand any Spanish and then produced my cedula and residencia and they sent me on my way as by this time we were holding up boarding and lots of people were queuing behind me!! No doubt, had I been nearer the end of the line they would have tried for the handout?? But let's not malign them as they did let me exit?
Peter

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Agree

JANET/NJ said:
I AGREE WITH YOU........IT IS NOT VERY FAIR FOR THOSE OF US WHO BUY THESE TOURIST CARDS AT $15 AND 20$

Especially since they only cost $10 to begin with. Tip: if you are going to buy a fake card, pay no more than a real one costs.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Change Needed

Argo said:
I have noticed in your other posts that you deride "Gringos" for exploiting "your" country; how can you expect any thing different when you encourage people to accept any from of corruption?

Until you are a "nation of laws," tourist will expect to exploit the country as the country does them

A>

CHANGE IS DEFENATELY NEEDED..............WILL IT HAPPEN? I DOUBT IT, HOW CAN IT CHANGE WHEN IT IS THE POWERS THAT BE THE FIRST TO BE CURRUPTED. THE MINUTE YOU LAND YOU ARE HUSTLED FOR MONEY.
i HAVE FOUND A WAY TO GET THEM OFF MY BACK...I USUALLY BRING PESOS WITH ME AND THATS WHAT THEY GET 100PESOS TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

YOU WALK INTO A RESTAURANT AND THE MINUTE THEY SEE YOU ARE A FOREINER THE $$ COME UP IN THEIR EYES.........AM NOT SAYING THIS IS TRUE FOR EVERYONE BUT IT IS FOR MOST OF THE COUNTRY.
WHENEVER I GO SHOPPING FOR ANYTHING I TAKE A FAMILY MEMBER WITH ME AND LET THEM DO THE HUSTLING FOR ME.

I'M HALF DOMINICAN AND HALF PUERTO RICAN...............I DOMINATE BOTH ACCENTS' VERY WELL. I MAY SPEAK DOMINICAN BUT THEY CAN SEE RIGHT THRU ME THAT I LIVE OUTSIDE OF THE COUNTRY THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS BRING FAMILY WITH ME TO THE MARKETS.

ONE OF MY MAJOR ANNOYANCES IS DRIVING DOWN A COUNTRY ROAD AND BEING FLAGED DOWN BY THOSE IDIOTS WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PROTECTING YOU FROM BURGLARS....AND INSTEAD YOU HAVE TO WATCH OUT FROM THEM CAUSE THEY WILL STILL FROM YOU QUICKER THEN A REAL BURGLAR..................I HAVE YET TO STOP FOR ONE OF THEM. :devious:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Robert said:
Please try and locate your CAPS LOCK key. Thanks!

I'll try that one with my sister-in-law whose keyboard is permanently stuck in upper case.

Chiri

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Argo said:
I have noticed in your other posts that you deride "Gringos" for exploiting "your" country.......A>

that is twaddle. i can put my hand on my heart and categorically state that i have never done that.
there is a certain group on dr1 now that are waiting for anything that can be remotely described as anti-american and then blow it up for what it isn't.
thank goodness that group is in the minority and most american posters are much more sensible about their jingoisms.
....anyway, even if it was true - at least i give you 'twaddlers' something to write about.

i still claim that there is no such thing as a fake tourist card. have anyone of you seen one?....if yes, then i don't believe you.
it would be much easier for the man at the airport to just tell you it is fake...........and most visitors being as gullible as they have the right to be, believe it.