book club for latinas?

Cereza

Aug 16, 2004
I have been searching in vain for a book club that features books by hispanic authors. Shockingly, the search has been unsuccesful. Believe it or not, amidst the hundreds of different types of clubs (including many for African Americans, Asians, and various religions) not one exists for latinas. If anyone knows of an existing book club, please let me know.

Could it be that latinas are simply not reading enough to want to join a book club? I don't know but i highly doubt it and hope to disprove that notion. If anyone would be interested in joining a book club for latinas that features books by hispanic authors please email me. Members would read one book every month and participate in forum discussions. Book selections will be mostly fiction, with perhaps a few non-fiction (biographical, historical, political, social awareness). Some authors we will be reading are Julia Alvarez, Isabel Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Sandra Cisneros, Mario Vargas Llosa, Esmeralda Santiago, and many more.

If you are interested and are willing to participate in engaging discussion about great hispanic authors, please email me and feel free to invite your friends.
so_cherry

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Great initiative

Cereza,

Your idea is wonderful. I am an avid reader of Hispanic literature ie. novels, political material, self-help, health and social content and yes "latinas" are reading for sure but as I have been told by my professors many times not as much as other nations per se. Your selection of authors is a great mix of an older generation with new contemporary authors I could definitely add to your list. My first question to you is what kind of book club are you looking for or hoping to initiate? A virtual (on-line) bookclub or just with people in your area? Please keep in mind members of this board live all over the world so you'll have to take that into consideration. Also when you say you have searched I am assuming on-line only correct? I will be grateful if you answer my questions. You have a possible member right here. Thanks.

Cereza said:
I have been searching in vain for a book club that features books by hispanic authors. Shockingly, the search has been unsuccesful. Believe it or not, amidst the hundreds of different types of clubs (including many for African Americans, Asians, and various religions) not one exists for latinas. If anyone knows of an existing book club, please let me know.

Could it be that latinas are simply not reading enough to want to join a book club? I don't know but i highly doubt it and hope to disprove that notion. If anyone would be interested in joining a book club for latinas that features books by hispanic authors please email me. Members would read one book every month and participate in forum discussions. Book selections will be mostly fiction, with perhaps a few non-fiction (biographical, historical, political, social awareness). Some authors we will be reading are Julia Alvarez, Isabel Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Sandra Cisneros, Mario Vargas Llosa, Esmeralda Santiago, and many more.

If you are interested and are willing to participate in engaging discussion about great hispanic authors, please email me and feel free to invite your friends.
so_cherry

Last edited:

Cereza

Aug 16, 2004
good questions

Lesley D,

Yes, I've only searched online for book clubs, mainly because I know I'd have to travel a bit if I wanted to find one that actually meets at a location. Although ideally this kind of book club would be great for socializing, I just don't know enough women who are avid readers. And like you pointed out, a local group would exclude many members. A virtual book club is exactly what I have in mind--that way no one has to worry about scheduling conflicts and anyone can join. Hopefully enough people will express interest to get the ball rolling. And I definitely welcome any suggestions for good reads that you might have.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Cereza,

Then you have me as a member for sure. I do have some suggestions about creating a private group email that only members have access to for comments, discussions etc. but can be viewed by all. Please let me know what your next step is even if it's in the future. Feel free to send me a private email to further discuss when you are ready to begin.

Sincerely,

Lesley D

Cereza said:
Lesley D,

Yes, I've only searched online for book clubs, mainly because I know I'd have to travel a bit if I wanted to find one that actually meets at a location. Although ideally this kind of book club would be great for socializing, I just don't know enough women who are avid readers. And like you pointed out, a local group would exclude many members. A virtual book club is exactly what I have in mind--that way no one has to worry about scheduling conflicts and anyone can join. Hopefully enough people will express interest to get the ball rolling. And I definitely welcome any suggestions for good reads that you might have.