Riots in Las Terrenas

scotpgot

May 26, 2004
www.jazzwriter.com
There have been some riots here the last two nights. Does anybody else know about this? There have been marches, trash thrown in the streets, broken glass in the streets, and fire in the streets (and I don't know what happened last night).

The story goes that a Politur killed an innocent man, who happened to be only 20 years old and a dedicated Christian, because they thought he was a drug dealer.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely this story will make national headlines. :disappoin

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Disturbances in Las Terrenas

We live near LT and were advised not to drive down to town.
The Sanchez-LT road could not be passed by vehicles yesterday and even today the road is said to be littered with glass. Light posts are said to have been brought down.

There are (as usual) many versions of the initial incident ranging from jealousy to drugs.
The man who killed the youth is either a member of Politur or the drug police. He had shot and wounded another person not long ago.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Riots?

Thank you for the link to the newspaper article.

It does mention the burning of tyres and a police vehicle.
These activities do meet my definition of riots or disturbances, but then I am not a native speaker.

"Huelga" as it's called here, for me is another thing.
But then Spanish isn't my mother tongue either.

m'frog

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
facts

It's all clear now, the riots started saturday night, and lasted until sunday night...
The family of the young victim didn't really participate in the events, but mostly "buddies", and tigres...
Quite a surprise to see a day in Las Terrenas with an atmosphere of Port au Prince, but just like everywhere, police officers are always hanging out late at night in the clubs and discos, drinking, and shooting easily for a matter of girls or any other excuses...
Don't know if the kid is a "real" church goer... What would he do then in the wee hours of the night at a "gringo disco" on the beach ?... But all his neighbours are telling me he wasn't involved in drugs....
-who knows were stands the truth ?
Anyway, on monday morning, the whole village was cleaning up, and opening businesses for visitors, enjoying 24 hours a day of electricity (-if it works in Las T., why not copy the same system and implement it in the rest of the nation ???)