ATV or horseback suitable for kids ??

RhonaP

Jul 16, 2004
Hi, the funny bikes (ATV's) and horseback riding (I've read look for Joyce at Coral Marien) look interesting.

Would either of them be suitable for my kids, ages 8 and 12 ?

Thanks,
Rhona

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
RhonaP said:
Hi, the funny bikes (ATV's) and horseback riding (I've read look for Joyce at Coral Marien) look interesting.

Thanks,
Rhona

Joyce (from NY) is no longer at the Marien, she is working out of another resort altough I am not sure which one.
John

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I am not too sure about the funny bikes for children on their own between the ages of 8 and 12, but you can get 2 people to one bike so maybe that is the best way (maybe that is even the way you were thinking - i am not sure).

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Horseback Safe

RhonaP said:

Thanks,
Rhona

Hey there Rhona!

On our last trip to the DR...my wife and my oldest daughter did go horseback riding, (she is 12) and they loved it!

I must say though, that use your better judgement, and ask for the "automatic" horse for the children, if they are not comfortable with horses.
(I use the automatic myself...LOL)

Hope that you have a great vacation!

Cheers
Jimmy

tuss

Apr 11, 2004
I would avoid the ATVs for your little ones especially but even for yourself. I work in an ER here in Canada and we almost daily get the results of people riding ATVs. They are death machines. They are now making it illegal in canada for people under age 14 and many think that should be raised to 16. The last thing you want is to end up in a hospital in the DR with broken bones or a lot worse. Stick to horseback riding - much safer, and if they provide helmits/other safety equipment - then use it. Oh God - i'm starting to sound like my mother!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Your kids would probably have a blast with the horseback riding. Down here, in tourist areas you usually get smallish, "bombproof", comfortably paced horses which like someone posted, can be considered as "automatic". They follow the leader and do their job. I have my own horse and am part of a riding group and we're always looking for ex-tourist horses for the kids.

ATVs? Wouldn't recommend them either unless they're riding with an experienced adult. Even then it's a touch and go subject.

Enjoy!!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I once did "funny bikes" in Cabarete. It was probably the most fun but most dangerous thing I ever did. The roads we took were curvey, dusty, and sometimes deeply rutted and muddy. There were occasionally big trucks sharing this road. Some out of control French guys in the group going at "breakneck speed " ran me off the road and then they flipped over (miraculously were not seriously injured). The best part was driving over the dunes along the beach for about 2 miles (just walking on sand dunes in NJ is a fine).

Horseback riding would be more age appropriate.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Rhona,

Horseback riding is more appropriate and my mother would advise them to wear a helmit.

Regards,
PJT

toby

Dec 8, 2003
And please don't forget to wear the appropriate clothing for riding. Long pants for all is advisable so you can avoid chaffing and sun burn, and bring lots of water and if possible or needed a small snack for the kids as it is a long and exillerating ride. (Don't forget the bug spray as at the resort they routinely spray for mosquitos...but on the horse trails they are everwhere.)
Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Cheers Terry
P.S. After riding the whole day you will find that your clothing will be filthy (and smelly)from horse sweat mud dust so don't expect to be able to use them again on your trip. Finding a laundry service may be difficult so pack a separate set of riding cloths that you can just bag and take home for the wash and you will find it worthwhile!

RhonaP

Jul 16, 2004
Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. This board is great - now I'm ready to experience DR next week !

Rhona