guns

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
what are the gun laws in the Dominican republic? Can I by a gun being from another country? would it be illegal for me to carry a concieled weapon? Do they have good gunshops there where one could purchase a quality weapon, like a Glock, and would they be cheaper there or should I bring one from where I live? Also, I hear guinne hunting is big there...... Do anyone of you know of a great place to hunt these birds? should I bring down a shotgun or rent one? any insight would be really appreciated.. BTW do I need a hunting liscense and if I do am I able to obtain one? And is it mucho dinero?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Buck69 said:
what are the gun laws in the Dominican republic? Can I by a gun being from another country? would it be illegal for me to carry a concieled weapon? Do they have good gunshops there where one could purchase a quality weapon, like a Glock, and would they be cheaper there or should I bring one from where I live? Also, I hear guinne hunting is big there...... Do anyone of you know of a great place to hunt these birds? should I bring down a shotgun or rent one? any insight would be really appreciated.. BTW do I need a hunting liscense and if I do am I able to obtain one? And is it mucho dinero?

First of all, you need to be a resident. Start with that and in a years' time you should have the answer to your Q's. Rhumor has it that Lionel will be making the obtention of firearms a lot more difficult. You can buy the weapon of your choice in the shops here, providing you qualify for a permit. They cost a lot of $$$$. I wouldn't entertain the idea of bringing a firearm from outside. As for "hunting" never heard of it I'm sure someone can answer that.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You can't bring a gun in this country. You have to buy a permit for every weapon when you buy it. A cheap gun is about 1k US (Saturday night special) and takes time to get. You need a permit for a shotgun.

You need to get your residency first of course.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Then again, someone could probably put you into contact with a "tigre" who could sell you something cheap and you could go around with it stuck into your pants and no one would ask anything... Up until 3 months ago, people could walk into the bank where i work with a gun in plain sight...

As for hunting, I've seen people on privately owned farms hunting "guinea" as they are called here. Once again, with the proper contacts you can have someone lend you a shotgun and shoot away...

As for places to check out, there's a outdoor shooting range in Lomas Lindas (Autopista Duarte) and every weekend we can hear shots going off. There's also the Poligono on Romulo Betancourt (I think it's still open) where you could get contacts.

It's not that much of a "big case" here to go around with a gun. That's why you'll hear so many cases of people getting shot down for this and that. It's really sad, but that's the truth.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Buck

As your nick suggests you're phucked any which way.

Hand guns in this country are for show. They are the quickest way to get into trouble with people that have absolutely nothing to lose and have already done the time. They are certainly of little use.

As far as hunting is concerned, there is some "guinea" hunting along the Haitian frontier, BUT, a major word of warning: Dominicans tend to mix hunting and drinking, and for this reason I have not been hunting here in over 40 years. No way will I disobey my grandpa' advice of never mixing alcohol and gunpowder...

So forget about hunting. Besides there are not many birds left...

There are "other" types of birds you can concentrate on...if you git mah drift?

Papa HB

NOte: If you really like to shoot and have a ton of money, there are gun clubs and skeet and trap are done there. There ais also some target shooting, but it is just too expensive. No Second Amendment and no NRA here...:(:(:(

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That was not the most intelligent post I have seen

1) Pre 9/11.
2) YOu had to have known somebody or rely on the fact you are a gringo in order for them not to search your luggage. If Customs had found a pair of handguns, you still might be waiting for a trial. SO, obviously you "know" someone.
3) "....judged by 12......." doesn't work here. No jury trials.........

4) I did like the idea of Mace. "Spray and Pray!" That is a lot better....

5) You need to clarify the statement "Most people carry when they travel" . Certainly not on airplanes! Not even charters! Please...
Internal travel that may or may not include nightime driving, okay, I can agree that a lot of iron is hauled around. Probably for self assurance rather than self protection. Most people could not haul out a piece in a moment of trouble.

Better to be wise, use your eyes! Stay away from trouble...

HB :D:D

Last edited:

GilbertArenas

Mar 15, 2004
el gringo 762 said:
that was pre 9/11. brought them as gifts and just let the airlines know what i had on my baggage.

most people i know in dom rep, carry when they travel.

if you are planning on exploring the island go with a group pack some mace a nice beat down club. you'll be fine.

when in doubt! spray and pray.. remember: "better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

That is a pretty ridiculous statement. No one "carries" when they travel there. Ever heard of a metal detector? Do you know how quickly American Airlines would have you arrested in the Sto Dgo/Miami/San Juan airports if they spotted a handgun in your luggage?

They don't allow guns AT ALL anymore. Has been this way for many many years. Also, one of the few laws the DR specifically enforces is illegal smuggling of guns into the country.

My uncle was dumb enough to bring in two nine millimeters about a decade ago, and spent 2 months in jail. If it wasn't for the 50,000 dollars in bribes that my family threw around it would have been a lot longer.

An amusing part of that story is in the larger Dominican jails you can rent nice "rooms" instead of cells (it's very expensive, but specifically made to suck more money out of the rich). He had cable tv, a kitchen....and even a maid! My aunt brought him magazines and books all the time. Certainly not what a lot of people expect.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It's a nightmare

After speaking with my father, he explained that the only way to bring a gun into the DR legally is by a direct permit from the Secretary of the Armed Forces, that was the only way that he was able to bring some guns in a few years ago. Quite the hassle but if you know the right people, things can get done.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Borrow a gun

I was in D.R. in June and I was at a remote place in the North Western Region "Valverde Mao". My friend is in politics and we were hanging out in Laguna Salada with some HOs. He had to leave because his wife was not feeling well so I stayed behind because I had some un finnished business I had to attend to. lol. He left me his 9mm which I had exposed and a shot gun. I felt weird because I was walking arround like if i was in the wild west. I had Cops come arround and never even asked me for I.D. I even had the shotgun on top of the table.
What is this country coming to...

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
It is the Wild West

p1atan0 said:
I was in D.R. in June and I was at a remote place in the North Western Region "Valverde Mao". My friend is in politics and we were hanging out in Laguna Salada with some HOs. He had to leave because his wife was not feeling well so I stayed behind because I had some un finnished business I had to attend to. lol. He left me his 9mm which I had exposed and a shot gun. I felt weird because I was walking arround like if i was in the wild west. I had Cops come arround and never even asked me for I.D. I even had the shotgun on top of the table.
What is this country coming to...

I just filled up the local Police guns..they only had two bullets out of six.. hope they knew which way the chamber......... Cheers. M.