Mailing a letter or package to DR

soybella716

Aug 16, 2004
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new here I live in the United States and my boyfriend lives in DR. I need to send him a few things and I am having a hard time trying to figuar out how the letters should look addressed. What do I need to do to get mail to him? Can anyone please help me? Thank you.....Ciao

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Like This

soybella716 said:
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new here I live in the United States and my boyfriend lives in DR. I need to send him a few things and I am having a hard time trying to figuar out how the letters should look addressed. What do I need to do to get mail to him? Can anyone please help me? Thank you.....Ciao

To: Customs or Mailman Who Will Steal Everything in This Package
Santo Domingo , RD

You mail stuff from the US and it will never arrive, anything of value will be stolen and mail like a letter probably thrown away. Use Fedex, DHL or the Miami-based mailbox services discussed here from time to time, in which case he would have to set that up to receive the packages. For letters use e-mail.

Hvae you known him long? He should know this. Don't send money.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Registered letters

ricktoronto said:
....and mail like a letter probably thrown away.

One comment:
Mail like a letter is not always thrown away. Sometimes they are delivered to the consignee. I have sent Registered Letters together with an Advice of Delivery service. Those letters have been delivered to my friend. It's much cheaper than using UPS, Fedex or any other parcel service.

For sending things it is better to use a parcel service company.

soybella716

Aug 16, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Santo Domingo , RD

You mail stuff from the US and it will never arrive, anything of value will be stolen and mail like a letter probably thrown away. Use Fedex, DHL or the Miami-based mailbox services discussed here from time to time, in which case he would have to set that up to receive the packages. For letters use e-mail.

I've known him for a year or so, he toldme today to use fed ex..I understand that. I guess what I'm trying to figuar out is what exactly do I need to have on it. The addresses seem strange to me. So I want to make sure I'm writing everything correct.

soybella716

Aug 16, 2004
Chareena said:
One comment:
Mail like a letter is not always thrown away. Sometimes they are delivered to the consignee. I have sent Registered Letters together with an Advice of Delivery service. Those letters have been delivered to my friend. It's much cheaper than using UPS, Fedex or any other parcel service.

For sending things it is better to use a parcel service company.

Well when I called the post office they did tell me I could get confirmation of the letter that it was recieved. Is that what your talking about?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Use Fedex

soybella716 said:
Well when I called the post office they did tell me I could get confirmation of the letter that it was recieved. Is that what your talking about?

Send it to a recognizable address where he can pick it up - like a business or something and use as much address as you can figure out, name, business name, intersection, barrio etc. They use local guys who are pretty sharp. But if he knows a hotel or bank employee that migh tbe better as it narrows down th ehunt for the Fedex guy.

I am not convinced that registered with or without a receipt (confirmation of delivery) will make an ounce of difference.

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
ricktoronto said:
Santo Domingo , RD

a related question that has been burning in my mind: how does one send letter from the DR to the US? are there post offices .. i mean other than express mail services? will it get here and how does one do it, is there a national mail service that drops off stuff at houses like we have here? (i would imagine.. but other countries only have PO boxes).

thank you..

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
soybella716 said:
So I can use either Feb Ex or UPS? How much does that run?

it depends on what you are mailing.. check out their websites online. it can vary widely of course! i sent my boyfriend a small but heavy package for his b-day via USPS express mail and it cost $68, but it did get there and was insured (to his office)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
soybella716 said:
So I can use either Feb Ex or UPS? How much does that run?
Contact their local office for pricing. If you intend on corresponding regularily have him set up an EPS address (Private courrier with address in the USA). Gets here within a few days and costs generally 2 or 3$.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
With P.O. Box International he can receive and send letter and packages. One envelope usually costs around US$0.80, changed to pesos plus tax. The yearly subscription cost is around RD$300 if I'm not mistaken. Here's the link so you can get more info http://www.pobox-intl.com/eng/

As for writing down an adress if you're sending it through normal mail, here's the usual format although it can vary:

(Name)
Calle (street name) #__, esq. (on the corner of "x" street (optional))
Edificio (building (optional), Apto. (Apartment (optional))
(Sector)
(City)
Dominican Republic

As someone else mentioned, try to get as much info in as possible.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have used P O Box international in Santo Domingo for sending and receiving mail for over 5 years now and find they provide a satisfactory service.

Chiri

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
soybella716

soybella716 said:

Yes, that is what I'm talking about.

The post office is responsible for the letter, and if you don't get the confirmation you can ask the post office to track what happened with the letter.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
If you're going to be sending "stuff" to the DR periodically, it's best to get a PMB account which is an int. p.o.box. For a 1 time deal, go with UPS, DHL or fedEx. Don't even try to send an errand thru DR post office as if what you send actually makes it past close inspection, via florescent light fixture or light table for envelopes to breachment for boxes if they suspect there might be some intriguing electronic device that they ought to check out for themselves, then the person in charge of making deliveries to your area will pile up with whatever else has to be delivered in that area so he only has to do 1 trip to deliver everything and not have to go deliver stuff everyday like it's supposed to work.

soybella716

Aug 16, 2004
KateP said:
As for writing down an adress if you're sending it through normal mail, here's the usual format although it can vary:

(Name)
Calle (street name) #__, esq. (on the corner of "x" street (optional))
Edificio (building (optional), Apto. (Apartment (optional))
(Sector)
(City)
Dominican Republic

As someone else mentioned, try to get as much info in as possible.

Thank you for you help! This is exactly what I was looking for.

soybella716

Aug 16, 2004
quejeyoke said:
If you're going to be sending "stuff" to the DR periodically, it's best to get a PMB account which is an int. p.o.box. For a 1 time deal, go with UPS, DHL or fedEx. Don't even try to send an errand thru DR post office as if what you send actually makes it past close inspection, via florescent light fixture or light table for envelopes to breachment for boxes if they suspect there might be some intriguing electronic device that they ought to check out for themselves, then the person in charge of making deliveries to your area will pile up with whatever else has to be delivered in that area so he only has to do 1 trip to deliver everything and not have to go deliver stuff everyday like it's supposed to work.

Can you explain a little more what a PMB is and how do I go about getting one?

soybella716

Aug 16, 2004
Eddy said:
Contact their local office for pricing. If you intend on corresponding regularily have him set up an EPS address (Private courrier with address in the USA). Gets here within a few days and costs generally 2 or 3$.

Ok I will be sending him things often or often enough. His birthday is in a couple of months so I want to make sure he is able to get his gift. Exactly what is EPS address and how do I get it or how does he get it?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
He just has to open an account or become a member of EPS, P.O. Box International or any other post office box/private mail box companies. They have offices in the States and take care of shipping the stuff down so he can pick it up in their offices. You send the package to the company's office in the states. That's it. You pay the postage in the States and he'll pay the shipping from the States to the DR. Normally the rates are by weight and you can check out their websites for that.

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
quejeyoke said:
If you're going to be sending "stuff" to the DR periodically, it's best to get a PMB account which is an int. p.o.box. .

is sending regular mail FROM the DR reliable? like postcards, letters from friends, etc.? i love email but it is not the same as a written letter of course. just curious.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I haven't sent anything out of the DR by regular mail in a long time. I usually drop it off at P.O. Box and they ship it up to Miami the next day. There it's sent via normal USPS.