Report from Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Very briefly, because this key-board is so lousy...

It is 17 August and I am sitting in an Internet Cafe down the street from Plaza Lama. I have just purchased a shirt for 251,95 pesos, shopping in darkness. Unbelieable with a shopping center that does not provide light for their customers!?

In my hotel, there was a power outage of 3 hours yesterday. I informed the staff a the counter that I will expect a discount of minimum 10%. I have rented a room with electricity and if they can not provide that, I expect a reduced price. The guy looked at me in total amazement. We will see what happens.

Two days ago, my friend and I got hit by another car. The guy tried to escape but we managed to stop him, with the assistance of another driver. We finally ended up at the main police quarters in Santo Domingo. Then I realized that it helps sometimes that my friend is officer in Dominican Armed Forces. The police even saluted me! Hahahahahaha!

Something about money and cost, which might be interesting if anyone is reading this... With an approximate translation to Dominican pesos.

Flight from Abha to Jeddah to Paris to Santo Domingo: 95,000 pesos for a return ticket.

My hotel in Paris: 6,500 pesos per night. (Nothing special but with a convenient location next to Air France coach to CDG airport)

My hotel in Santo Domingo : 62 US Dollars per night

Lunch in Santo Domingo (Boga Boga): 1,000 pesos per person

Dinner in Santo Domingo (Fellinis): 1,900 pesos per person

Comment on what people earn: I realized that my friend?s superior officer has a monthly salary that equals what I make in 2 days!!! Incredible!!! So again I ask myself, how can people afford those big cars when they have such lousy salaries? And how can I find a job in DR with a salary that does not come across as an insult...

Okey, I am off for a drink now! Where can I get decent Margharitha?

More latr...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Glad you arrived safely. Of COURSE the guy looked at you in utter amazement.............only 3 hours without power & you want a reduction for something the hotel can't control? John, that is sooooo funny! You've been away from here too long! :laugh:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
That officer drives a toyota corolla.
This is the problem with the tourists, you folks come here, meet the hotel front desk, maids, a few hookers and a taxi driver and think you know it all.
The dominicans who drive fancy mercedes 500 or BMW (bought with cash money and at much higher price than you would get in usa) are not all thieves or crooks. There are some really rich dominicans all around you but they will not talk to people like you tourists. They make more money in a day that you make in a week (dollars).
I know dominicans who throw private parties and johnny walker blue label is served at all tables, fancy catering from fancy restaurants and well known merengue bands are hired to play at their homes (mansions). I am talking about people in santiago, rich dominicans in la romana (casa de campo) and santo domingo even go higher.
When I was coming back from Miami to santiago, the first class was all filled by santiago dominicans, maybe 2 foreigners.
So please, keep your tourist observations to yourself, we are not impressed.
AZB

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes that is right...

I'm not impressed either. Voyager...why the prices? Why talk about your big buddy? What...are you a child?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
...it doesn't matter who is impressed, or not.

there are many people who try to read between the lines with this......but, what i would/will like to know is if you will stick to your guns with regards to the lack of electricty 'discount'. there is absolutely nothing wrong in asking....demanding it.

i would also like to know if, or not, you get it.

....again it doesn't matter who on dr1 is impressed or not.....but please let us know.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB said:
This is the problem with the tourists, you folks come here, meet the hotel front desk, maids, a few hookers and a taxi driver and think you know it all.
The dominicans who drive fancy mercedes 500 or BMW (bought with cash money and at much higher price than you would get in usa) are not all thieves or crooks. There are some really rich dominicans all around you but they will not talk to people like you tourists. They make more money in a day that you make in a week (dollars).
I know dominicans who throw private parties and johnny walker blue label is served at all tables, fancy catering from fancy restaurants and well known merengue bands are hired to play at their homes (mansions). I am talking about people in santiago, rich dominicans in la romana (casa de campo) and santo domingo even go higher.
When I was coming back from Miami to santiago, the first class was all filled by santiago dominicans, maybe 2 foreigners.
AZB

Do you feel better now?

I guess your having a slow day at the office...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Voyager said:
In my hotel, there was a power outage of 3 hours yesterday. I informed the staff a the counter that I will expect a discount of minimum 10%. I have rented a room with electricity and if they can not provide that, I expect a reduced price. The guy looked at me in total amazement. We will see what happens.

I too would like to know how you get on with the hotel bill.

By the way, what hotel are we talking about?

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Not to impress or provoke!

Some comments and reflections...

First of all, I am not posting here to impress people. AZB want me to keep my tourist observations to myself. Hm... Maybe I have misinterpreted the purpose of this message board. I thought it was a forum for people to share observations. Maybe I was wrong...

The reason, Snuffy, why I mention prices is that I have a feeling that many people who read this board are interested in learning the cost of things. If prices are high or low is a matter or interpretation and what you compare with. I had to make a stopover in Paris, so the hotel there was part of the cost of getting to DR. That is why I mentioned it.

Speaking of cost, I had my margaritha at the Hotel Embajador. I paid 150 plus tax for it. For anybodys info, not to impress. Oh, and that price included peanuts!

My hotel is Plaza Florida.

Thanks for the greeting k1w1! I come from Sweden, but presently living in Saudi Arabia.

Last night I saw an art exhibition at Palazio del Reyes in Zona Colonial (please excuse my spelling if it is wrong!). It was by invitation only, but we managed to get in anyway, I am not sure why? Kind of interesting paintings, I can recommend it. After that, we went to Casa de Teatro, had a few Cuba Libre and listened to a Dominican singer. Nice place but a bit noisy for my taste. Why do people go to a place with live music and then do their best to talk louder than the singer? Maybe I am getting old...

Tomorrow, off to Baraona.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Lambada said:
Glad you arrived safely. Of COURSE the guy looked at you in utter amazement.............only 3 hours without power & you want a reduction for something the hotel can't control? John, that is sooooo funny! You've been away from here too long! :laugh:

Yeah, maybe I have been away for to long. Last time I was here was in November, 2003. I guess my problem is that I still have not learned to view DR for what it is and take the bad with the good. This is my 7th visit to DR and I guess I am slowly coming to the sad realization that I have to lower my expectations on things.

By comparison, when I am in Indonesia, I almost never get irritated when things do not work, because I do not expect them to work. I have very low expectations, so the risk of disappointment is low. (Snuffy and AZB, even though you most probably stopped reading this thread, I am not mentioning my visits to Indonesia to impress you. I have been there a few times and I see no reason to be quiet about it.)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I have a different take on this

Forst off the pricing is good information, and appreciated.

Plaza Florida is on Bolivar and a very nice, inexpensive place to stay.

Good to see that you are looking around the country.

And, while we all have hig expectations of the DR, for the past four years they have become lower and lower. Perhaps in a few more years, things will get better.

Papa HB

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Forst off the pricing is good information, and appreciated.

Plaza Florida is on Bolivar and a very nice, inexpensive place to stay.

Good to see that you are looking around the country.

And, while we all have hig expectations of the DR, for the past four years they have become lower and lower. Perhaps in a few more years, things will get better.

Papa HB

Thanks for your comments, Papa HB!

Yes, Plaza Florida is really nice, good value for money, and it has a good location, at least for me, since I can walk to several shopping centers, internet cafes etc. For 62 US Dollars, you get a living room with connected kitchen so you can make your own breakfast (something I prefer). You get a bedroom ensuite, a good bathroom with tub, a walk in closet and also a balcony with a couple of chairs and a little table.

For your info, I have been to Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, Samana, Constanza, Jarabacoa, San Christobal, Boca Chica, Altos de Chavon (for a fantastic concert with Eddy Herrera, Jerry Rivera and whats-his-name-with-the-funny-hair?) and some other places "in between".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Voyager, I'm just curious are you coming to the DR for the sake of coming here or are you thinking of moving here?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think Voyager has a girlfriend here.
Ok voyager, I take my mean comments back, seems like you have been to some really interesting corners of this world. Someday i maybe able to get out and see it all for myself.
Welcome to DR and keep enjoying your visits here.
AZB

anonymous1960

Jul 7, 2004
AZB said:
AZB

Oh oh...this is a good one...I can't resist...

SO, AZB, LET'S SEE...all those spanking new BMWs and Mercedes...this annoying gringo posting stuff on the board...un malpensado!

Let me see if I can make this gringo understand. Voyager, that's how the cookie crumbles: We Dominicans make sugar form sugar cane. Honest workers, we sweat at the plantation, day and night. We sell it on the free market. We dominicans are great traders. We make BIG money. Sure, not ALL of us (80% ) are that smart, and some end up in total poverty and destitution.

A few evil men will say that this year the country's GDP was -1%, but don't listen to them, they hate us because we have merengue and they don't.

Sugar makes us so much money...sometimes we feel so overwhelemed by all that cash that we have to go to some car dealership and get a new Lexus. No problem amigo, a briefcase of cash and bum!, we're driving el yipeton!

And after we've bought the Lexus, we don't want to enjoy by ourselves, no no. So we party and put a bottle of whisky on each table! That's called putting your guests at ease! A month's minimum wage on each table! Another briefcase of cash! We're such good buddies!

But hey!, wait a sec! Where are we going to sit our friends? In a wood shack? Casa de tabla? No no no! Let me see if I can get an apartment on the Malecon, at the tower...Found! Oh shout, it's 3 briefcases of cash...that's heavy...What a sacrifice!

I am getting bored anyway, I want to visit my cousin in Nuevayol. I must go first class, otherwise they'll give me Coca Cola and not whisky. Heck, that'
s not even a full briefcase of cash!

Let me tell you, my friend, that's a tough life, but somebody has gotta live it....and stop those damned questions...

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Originally Posted by AZB

AZB

And then us poor tourist drive behind them in a gua gua and
see those high class dominicans throw their garbage out of the window.

Flaunting all traffic laws because in their ignorance they believe laws are not for them and their money.

Yes we are real impressed with your rich dominicans.

AZB you should know money does not breed class.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
AZB said:
I think Voyager has a girlfriend here.
Ok voyager, I take my mean comments back, seems like you have been to some really interesting corners of this world. Someday i maybe able to get out and see it all for myself.
Welcome to DR and keep enjoying your visits here.
AZB
Frame it, Voyager! If AZB was big enough to apologise, then it is worth keeping. And AZB is actually a really nice guy, Voyager. Mind you, so are you & GOOD, you are beginning to get there.....lower those expectations & if you do decide to live here, adopt the principle of damage control. See what is going to go wrong & take steps to avoid it before it happens. Are you coming north this time?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Paul Thate said:
And then us poor tourist drive behind them in a gua gua and
see those high class dominicans throw their garbage out of the window.

Flaunting all traffic laws because in their ignorance they believe laws are not for them and their money.

Yes we are real impressed with your rich dominicans.

AZB you should know money does not breed class.

1. Most high class Dominicans don't throw garbage out of their windows, the poor masses do that! Notice how out of the beaten up cars comes more garbage and bottles out those windows than are probably found in the garbage dumps of this country!

2. The only laws of the roads in the DR is the bigger the car the more rights of way you have. Rich folks can afford jeepetas, so there you go! But, noticed how the poor motorcyclist drive in such erratic fashions and how the poor carro publico takes the farthest right lane TO MAKE A LEFT TURN!! That is one thing that really ticks me off when I see it, you know how many near misses I have gone through because of those folks!

3. Although I kind of do agree with you here, I must say that many rich Dominicans have some class and some poor Dominicans have more class than most westerners. The latter is something that has been said by thousands of tourist who compare their countrymen with poor Dominicans when they visit here, its not something I say, although I kind of believe it.

So, again, tourist come a few days and think they know it all! I guess it takes time and effort to learn that the world is not how it first appears.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nal0whs said:
1. Most high class Dominicans don't throw garbage out of their windows, the poor masses do that! Notice how out of the beaten up cars comes more garbage and bottles out those windows than are probably found in the garbage dumps of this country!

I beg to differ. I know neither of us will be able to prove it either way but I lose count of the times I have seen this being done, with incomparable disdain and arrogance. It is clearly something to do with being accustomed to other people cleaning up after you.

I must say that many rich Dominicans have some class and some poor Dominicans have more class than most westerners. The latter is something that has been said by thousands of tourist who compare their countrymen with poor Dominicans when they visit here, its not something I say, although I kind of believe it.

Again, we won't find statistics to back this up, but I would hazard that Dominicans and other Latin Americans are much more closely acquainted with personal hygiene products than westerners as a whole.

Chiri

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I beg to differ. I know neither of us will be able to prove it either way but I lose count of the times I have seen this being done, with incomparable disdain and arrogance. It is clearly something to do with being accustomed to other people cleaning up after you.
Well, I did say most. But, its just a cultural thing I guess. I mean, are poor folks accustomed to being cleaned up after? I don't think so and they don't think twice before throwing that empty bottle of presidente down the river where they are having a "chapuson" as the masses love to call it!

Again, we won't find statistics to back this up, but I would hazard that Dominicans and other Latin Americans are much more closely acquainted with personal hygiene products than westerners as a whole.
I think most tourist who say such thing (DR citizens having more class than many westerners) refer to how Dominicans treat each other in curtious ways. You know, the things we take for granted like greeting a person before you talk to them, even if you don't know the person or if you are only asking for directions etc. That is something not seem much in western places, I mean when I was in the US, people at stores looked at me weird when I said a simple Good Morning to the cashier!

Status
Not open for further replies.