Brazil Football Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just got back from the Brazil football practice at the Olympic Stadium.

Not every day you get to see Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho etc have a kick about.

The place was packed! I guess more people attended than many Pan Am Games events.

If you?re a football fan, RD$100 is cheap to go at watch some of the worlds
current best and players break a sweat, plus take in the eye candy :)

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
...i just wish their kick about didn't take place on the tuesday afternoon after a long week-end.

...i couldn't get away from work - someone has to keep printing those fake tourist cards.

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Larry said:
I believe you are referring to soccer Robert. Not football, soccer.

Larry

Football. ;-)

Football:

name for soccer everywhere except in the U.S.; also, what American's call their popular team sport which evolved from soccer and rugby.

American football:

a term used by non-Americans to distinguish the popular U.S. sport of football from soccer which they also call football.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
franco said:
Football. ;-)

Football:

name for soccer everywhere except in the U.S.; also, what American's call their popular team sport which evolved from soccer and rugby.

American football:

a term used by non-Americans to distinguish the popular U.S. sport of football from soccer which they also call football.

Yeah but to an American, calling soccer "football" seems so wrong. In the United States, soccer is a girls sport, like hopscotch and tiddlywinks. Football is........well........football.

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Larry said:
Yeah but to an American, calling soccer "football" seems so wrong. In the United States, soccer is a girls sport, like hopscotch and tiddlywinks. Football is........well........football.

But it was a Brazilian show in the Dominican Republic, ask both how do they call it... :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Larry said:

Enough!

At the end of the day, "football" is the biggest and most popular sport on the planet.
Maybe not for some Americans, but for the rest of the world, yes.

Having some of the worlds best footballers in Santo Domingo is big news.
Just like it would be big news in London, Paris, Madrid, Sydney, Tokyo, Manila etc etc etc....

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
trap11 said:
larry you can also ask them what do they think about your american football :)

OK, where will I find them? Getting the Brazilian leg wax or whatever it was I read in the other thread?

Larry

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
But perhaps Larry thought the players legs needed waxing before the game to look their best? The other parts wouldn't need it due to being covered up by, I believe the term is codpieces. :ermm:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
American football?

You mean that nipplegate show where (unwaxed) steroid inflated armored monkeys bump each other while obese watchers try to scream, applaude, eat popcorn, drink coke and look at the star spangled pom pom girls at the same time?

5 billion people calling football football since the FA established 1863 cannot be wrong

Barnab?

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Barnabe said:
American football?

You mean that nipplegate show where (unwaxed) steroid inflated armored monkeys bump each other while obese watchers try to scream, applaude, eat popcorn, drink coke and look at the star spangled pom pom girls at the same time?

5 billion people calling football football since the FA established 1863 cannot be wrong

Barnab?

What amazes me is fan appreciation. The NFL (American Football) plays one exhibition game per year in England, tickets are impossible, sell out. World Class "Soccer" evenst in the US, Can't give tickets away (Unless it is the US Women's team?)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Football, or feetball, it must have been awesome

I was green with envy not to be able to make it. Oh Robert, you were so lucky...

A friend of mine from La Romana packed up his kids and went.

Today Brazil will play a game in Haiti and return to sleep here, as I understand it.

In 1976 I helped bring the New York Cosmos with Caniglia(?) and Pel? to the Olympic Stadium-watched Pel? score two goals!! And talked a lot with him in the locker room afterwards. We had met in '75 in Washington.. A really great person and worth every title, honor or prize he ever gets...

Robert, I do hope you took some poictures...even the press has some of theeye candy on display...

Papa HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
k1w1 said:
Unfortunately the skill involved in soccer is lost on the american public due to a lack of scoring 'drama'
Until the scoring is somehow revamped to cater to those 'obese / coke swelling / popcorn munchers (lol)' it'll remain as is.
Kinda sad but true (me thinx)
hasta
A little harsh, aren't we?

Sports are entertainment, and everybody has a different view as to what constitutes entertainment.

From what I see, American football fans are rather docile compared to the soccer riots and deaths we see on TV. I have a hard time believing that those soccer "incidents" are not that isolated, and are NOT fueled by adult beverages.

I just think that Americans like a different sort of sports "drama" than others do. Lord knows that organized soccer has been marketed in the states with great effort. I can remember back in the 60's when the original NASL opined that the next generation of youngsters in the States would drop American Football/baseball/basketball in favor of soccer. Youth soccer grew by leaps and bounds through this day. In fact "Soccer Moms" became a semi-political group. The problem is the 6-10 y.o.'s got to be 12+, and dropped out of soccer in favor of American football/basketball/baseball. The interest in soccer by the open minds of our youth just didn't translate into interest as an adult. Go figure.

While I personally appreciate the athletic ability of international soccer players, I find the game somewhat boring compared to other American sports. I don't think I'm alone. That is not at all to denegrate soccer, it's just a simple statement.

FWIW-I am a little biased. I played 3 years of pro football in the mid-70's during my impetuous youth.

And here is just one opinion: IF soccer had ever caught on with young Americans and the greatest American athletes adopted it as their primary sport, the US National team would be an amazing group to watch. The top athletes in pro football/basketball/baseball would be simply awesome.

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
Soccer / Football for girls

I'd have to agree with Larry - soccer / football is a good game for little girls. But a real sport is rugby - 80 mins of sprinting, a mouth guard, fists and cleats for equipment, legal to step on your opponents (and incouraged), no stoppage in play for injuries ... American Football rates up there with soccer in my books ....

just my perspective

D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:mad: Why does this have to turn into what is a "real man's sport" for pete sakes?
It was about a Brazilian football Practice in Santo Domingo. Football is what they call it in Europe so get over it. :bunny:

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
Bunny's right - we should settle this like mature men - we'll go to a bar, watch football, soccer and rugby - drink heavily, eat appies and argue - he who drinks, eats and argues the best wins!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
The reason, as I see it, why European and South American countries are so soccer crazy and the USA has failed to follow suit is quite simple. It has to do with international competition and bragging rights which is something that most Americans could are less about. It (soccer) is a sport that is played all over the world and it is an easy form of healthy competition between countries. This is the reason why it is so widely popular throughout the world despite the fact that it is not a very good sport.

Americans could care less about all this. We dont even watch the Olympics because we realize that it makes no difference who can run faster, throw a disc farther, etc... We feel no need to win bragging rights over other countries. We are happy playing and watching real mens sports like baseball and football and swigging our cokes and eating our hot dogs or whatever. We don't care if some guy from Brazil can kick a round ball better than some guy from France and we don't feel that in doing so, one country has proven it is better than the other. We don't care what goes on in the rest of the world. Our news stations dont cover anything international that is not of interest to the US and we don't speak any language other than English. We are fat, ignorant, happy Americans. Please pass the potato chips.

Larry

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Yeah, but Brazilian chicks are hot

Larry said:
The reason, as I see it, why European and South American countries are so soccer crazy and the USA has failed to follow suit is quite simple. It has to do with international competition and bragging rights which is something that most Americans could are less about. It (soccer) is a sport that is played all over the world and it is an easy form of healthy competition between countries. This is the reason why it is so widely popular throughout the world despite the fact that it is not a very good sport.

Americans could care less about all this. We dont even watch the Olympics because we realize that it makes no difference who can run faster, throw a disc farther, etc... We feel no need to win bragging rights over other countries. We are happy playing and watching real mens sports like baseball and football and swigging our cokes and eating our hot dogs or whatever. We don't care if some guy from Brazil can kick a round ball better than some guy from France and we don't feel that in doing so, one country has proven it is better than the other. We don't care what goes on in the rest of the world. Our news stations dont cover anything international that is not of interest to the US and we don't speak any language other than English. We are fat, ignorant, happy Americans. Please pass the potato chips.

Larry

That was hilarious. :laugh: Oh yeah, as a soccer (an English invention not American BTW) player and fan I was also offend.

Status
Not open for further replies.