alr

alr

Aug 18, 2004
Should we cancel? We are planning a trip to La Romana over Thanksgiving. Based upon the economic, polical and social unrest and lack of electrical power, is it safe to take a trip to Dr with children? If it is okay, how do we get from the airport in SD to La Romana? Can we book a taxi or driver in advance?

Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Alr?

Odd subject since that seems to be your nom de plume. Assuming you are going to an all-inclusive resort, all of which have their own power, you are worrying unneccesarily about the unrest and electricity issues, and you take a taxi to La Romana, or if you are taking a scheduled airline try to book a flight to LRM to begin with, several go there. For charter packages, they almost always include the bus from the airport (which is nearly never SDQ anyway) to the resort.

Do not think of burning tires in the streets and swollen-bellied beggars like Haiti or Africa.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Heck, if this is unrest I don't know how to call what's happening in Venezuela... Yes, people are complaining, they're tired of the current situation (even I am) but in general they're not out in the streets creating riots or anything. Especially in a tourist area like La Romana...

You can get a tourist taxi at the airport and determine the fare before leaving.

Enjoy!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Is that Air, as in Air head??

Do you even know what La Romana is like?

La Romana Casa de Campo, that is) is NOT the Dominican Republic. It is a small piece of paradise set aside for a very few people to enjoy. It is "beyond the pale."

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. In the town of La Romana, not the Costasur resort area of Casa de CAmpo and annexes, there are no (or very few) bars on the windows such as you would find in every other city in the DR and in most towns...

Everyone in that town works somewhere, most have deep religious beliefs and "hard work" and "progress" are their mottos.

Papa HB

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Yes, I recently visited La Romana on August 7th. It is a very clean town and I too noticed the lack of bars on windows. The town seems quiet and peaceful. I would not worry about problems in La Romana. :cheeky:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
kingofdice said:
Yes, I recently visited La Romana on August 7th. It is a very clean town and I too noticed the lack of bars on windows. The town seems quiet and peaceful. I would not worry about problems in La Romana. :cheeky:

Or unless your travel plans take you into the worst barrios (which are bad anytime of the economic cycle) ,traveling to Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, Punta Cana....etc.....etc...are no different than average.

No doubt he / it (ALR) is locked in a sterile AI and won't know what the hell is going on anyway.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just two weeks ago, because I am helping my husband write up the Human Development Sustainable Tourism Report for the United Nations, I had a tour of the slums of La Romana and Higuey. We asked to be taken, by our sociologist guide, to the worst. We drove around in a Toyota Rav 4 SUV. May I say we looked like researchers. May I say at no time did I feel my safety was in any way compromised. We walked a lot, asking questions. People were friendly and helpful.

I don't know if I could say this for Santo Domingo slums.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
You Can't

Dolores said:
I don't know if I could say this for Santo Domingo slums.

I know for sure you can't nor the ones in San Pedro, and after dark even worse. I felt safer by ten times in the San Isidro cane cutters batey than the one time I drifted too close to the worst SD barrios. Or Barrio Mexico and nearby in SP.

Parts of Managua you wouldn't even stop the car if you could avoid it.

alr

Aug 18, 2004
To all of you who so obnoxiously responded to my question,

I live in NYC where an act of terriorism killed people that I love -- isolated from the world, I think not. I don't have my head in the "hills" but my feet on the ground in the real world. Wake up. Given the way we have been forced to live, it stands to reason that I would ask about safety on a vacation on which I am bringing my family. I did not ask about bars on windows or the decency of the people, I inquired about safety and whether or not it was advisable to go ahead with my travel plans. That simple.

If I were an "Air Head" I would ignore everything that I read regarding DR in the last week. And "Papa" (and I am sure you don't have any children or you would understand my concerns or maybe you do have children and you are a terrible or ignorant parent), I have been to countries where there is political and social unrest but WOULD NOT take my children on those trips. As a seasoned traveler, yes I have left my world which is not certainly not insulated, I have been exposed to far more than I would ever want my children exposed to at this stage of their lives. As I said, I was inquiring because I am traveling with children and want to make certain that given what has been reported in the DR that the area is suitable and peaceful.

Open your eyes, the world isn't a nice place these days and it responsible to check out all the details before taking children anywhere.

Personally, if someone asks a question on this message board would it behove you to answer the question with some modicum of decency and respect? Was it so terrible to inquire as to the safety of the DR or any country in thie kind of world we live in? A small amount of manners would dictate a mature pleasant answer to an inocuous questions.

Say a prayer for the world and for yourself.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Man some people are touchy. I'm reading the posts over and over and don't see anyone being disrespectful. Papa HB has many of his own children, adopted children and half a dozen granchildren ( at least). He's lived in the DR for over 35 years. Now what was it he said that was so bad?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
On Second Thought........

alr said:
To all of you who so obnoxiously responded to my question,

I inquired about safety and whether or not it was advisable to go ahead with my travel plans. That simple.

Based on your discussion of the issues and reaction to HB's reply I suggest another country. You won't like it here.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Wales

Anna Coniglio said:
Man some people are touchy. I'm reading the posts over and over and don't see anyone being disrespectful. Papa HB has many of his own children, adopted children and half a dozen granchildren ( at least). He's lived in the DR for over 35 years. Now what was it he said that was so bad?

Poor HB, just a hilljack from W.Va., but he put Wales in his place and can do it here if need be. keep up the good work HB.
Charlie

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
La Romana

alr said:
Should we cancel? We are planning a trip to La Romana over Thanksgiving. Based upon the economic, polical and social unrest and lack of electrical power, is it safe to take a trip to Dr with children? If it is okay, how do we get from the airport in SD to La Romana? Can we book a taxi or driver in advance?

Thanks
La Romana, well let me see. I have been there 20 or more times in the last 4 years. I have stayed in the best of the best in Casa de Campo, and the worst of the worst in the inner city. Its people are remarkably wonderful, the town seems safer than where I live in the U.S. and I have only see burning tires once. I would recommend La Romana to everyone; it is a great little city. If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM me.
Charlie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
air,
Who was obnoxious? I just don't see it.
Of course what happened in New York was terrible & of course exactly the same thing could happen here. I think there is more chance of it happening in London, or Miami or San Francisco.......but if you really are concerned, maybe it is best to stay at home. And "safety" is a relative thing, so it is a difficult question to answer because we may not share the same definitions. But is "home" really any safer? I, for example, scheduled my last journey home to the DR from UK in such a way that I would not have to nightstop in New York. I know where I feel safer. Good luck whatever you decide.

Dec 9, 2002
alr, there is really no need to be so touchy. I really can't see why you have the impression that people were obnoxious in their answers to you. You posted a question, and a "conversation" followed. I don't see the problem, you can't expect to control what people say just because you instigated the post.

Yes, 911 was a terrible thing, and you are right to be concerned about the safety of your family. But to take umbridge about the comments ref bars on the windows and the decency of the people is silly. Those comments were made as an example of how "safe" the area is.

IMHO NYC is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, yet you live there. If this is going to worry you so much, perhaps you should rethink your plans, and maybe go to Orlando.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Just to clear up the bars on windows thing, in Santo Domingo and the DR in general you'll see about 75% of the houses with bars on their windows and doors. That's normal. Took us a while to get used to seeing them and living inside them but even in the quiet middle-upper class neighbourhood where I live, I wouldn't want to be without them. Even with my 90lbs Rottie. So when you see a city with little or no bars, it gives you a feeling of security. I think that was the point kingofdice wanted to make.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I always presumed the bars were because of the need for ventalation as well as security. Here in Canada we close all the windows and lock our doors but that just is not practical in the Dominican climate. No?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Definately a factor. It's tough to close everything up if you don't have air conditioning!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It is very safe here and electric is usually not a problem for tourists since most places have 24/7 because of generating back up poser.

Don't know how to get from the airport but I am sure you could wing it when you fly in unless you get in at 2am.