construction cost?

newstart

Aug 13, 2004
What should I expect the construction cost to be for an average home in the country? Where would I begin looking for a contracter? Does anyone know of any previous post that might be able to help me?

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Construction costs are about the same all over the island at about $300.00 to $350.00 but that all depends on the quality of finish you desire.

I am just now starting on the first house of hopefully many that I will build to sell in Costambar. If you do plan to build you have to make sure to be there every step of the way or you?ll end up with all sorts of big problems without easy fix.

If you are interested I can give you some examples of bad experiences.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot depends on where you are going to build

In the country is not very specific.

If you are near a major city your costs might be as much as $100.00 less per meter of construction.

Other items that can really cost you are the floors, and furnishings such as kitchen cabinets and windows..

I have been quoted between RD$10,000 and RD$15,000 per meter...

Otherwise, you are probably in the ball park or
"on the pitch" depending on where you are from....

HB :D:D:D

newstart

Aug 13, 2004
Hillbilly said:
In the country is not very specific.

If you are near a major city your costs might be as much as $100.00 less per meter of construction.

Other items that can really cost you are the floors, and furnishings such as kitchen cabinets and windows..

I have been quoted between RD$10,000 and RD$15,000 per meter...

Otherwise, you are probably in the ball park or
"on the pitch" depending on where you are from....

HB :D:D:D

I am planning to build a 1500sf home 3bed and 2 bath, what would be the approx. cost? Excluding the land. I am planning to build a modest home.

newstart

Aug 13, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
Construction costs are about the same all over the island at about $300.00 to $350.00 but that all depends on the quality of finish you desire.

I am just now starting on the first house of hopefully many that I will build to sell in Costambar. If you do plan to build you have to make sure to be there every step of the way or you?ll end up with all sorts of big problems without easy fix.

If you are interested I can give you some examples of bad experiences.

Please give me some examples of what to be careful of?

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Construction cost

newstart said:
What should I expect the construction cost to be for an average home in the country? Where would I begin looking for a contracter? Does anyone know of any previous post that might be able to help me?

Iknow a company in the north called orchid bay, the person i know is a canadian from montreal.He has been living there for over 20yrs. Very good and trustworthy. Let me know if you want his number. :cool: By the way his name is Donald Bergeron, very very good reputation.

Johnnycake

Jul 29, 2004
$300 per sq meter ($28/sq foot) sounds very inexpensive. Are you talking just the construction of floor, walls, and roof, or is that for a finished home excluding furniture? Everything I've read says between $60-$80 per square foot. What do you think?

Thanks!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I would say HB's estimate of about 10k/m2 is pretty close to what it costs to build in or around a larger city for a decente finish. You could probably build something for about 300/m2, but it would be just a shell of a house with no tile floors or nothing.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Some problems...toilet pipes that go for 3 feet then capped off under the concrete floor?a second floor with no stairwell to access it?walls that are not square (problem in earthquakes) etc. etc. etc.

The cost of $300.00 to $350.00 is only if you are well involved with all details of construction day to day, there to buy all materials and that will get you a finished home, everything but the furnishings.

I am in the middle of that exact process with a home that I will be building on a 850sqm lot. The house will be about 200sqm of construction and 3 bedrooms.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Toronto: Are you just including the cost of labor in your cost? Otherwise I don't see how this can be possible. You're saying you can build a 200 m2 (about 2500 sf) home for about 600k pesos. Only possible if all you build is the shell. I think HB got it right...

rdost

Feb 13, 2004
suarezn said:
Toronto: Are you just including the cost of labor in your cost? Otherwise I don't see how this can be possible. You're saying you can build a 200 m2 (about 2500 sf) home for about 600k pesos. Only possible if all you build is the shell. I think HB got it right...

I think the math is $350/sqm x 200 sqm = $70,000 US x 40 pesos/dollar =
2.8Million pesos

Hillbilly is still right though

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Remember, they are talking dollars!

That would be between RD$12000 and RD$15000 a sq meter....again depending on just where it is located.

I always like to send people to Mairen? Bournigal in Puerto Plata. He is a good engineer and his partner is an architect...and they own the cememt factory up there..Deposito Ferretero, near the Brugal Distillery.

HB

Johnnycake

Jul 29, 2004
I still don't know who's right.....How much per square foot for a finished house. Floors, toilets, etc. This just seems too cheap. :rolleyes:

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Johnnycake said:
I still don't know who's right.....How much per square foot for a finished house. Floors, toilets, etc. This just seems too cheap. :rolleyes:

How much is a diamond ring, Johnycake?

My question doesn't make sense, of course. What is the cut of the stone? Which colour? Which clarity? Which weight?

There is no ready made answer to your question. But you are given fair estimates, and you don't like them, "sound too cheap". You can pay more if you feel more secure doing so.

Start working and thinking, and you will come with more precise questions about plumbing, electricity, etc. If you can't do that, you shouldn't even think of building your house. Unless you find a reputable engineer (HB's link) that will give you an detailed budget on a detailed project that you are happy with.

Just my opinion,

Barnab?

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
pictures of ready houses

Hello,

Can somebody of you send me a link to some photos of the houses you are talking about here. (house in the pricerange of $300 p sqm.
I would like to know how basic the bath rooms and kitchen, landcape, pool etc are.

Johnnycake

Jul 29, 2004
It wouldn't make me feel better to pay more. It's just that everything I've read says construction is $55-$85 per square foot. I was just trying to get a reason for such a vast difference in price guesstimates.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
low cost flooring: 3-500 pesos/sqm
high end marble: 5000/sqm

low cost barrio type shower: almost nil
6 people jacuzzi: I would say 300000 pesos minimum

etc...

Toronto2inDR, I would be interested and grateful if you have the possibility to email pictures?

Barnab?