Solar Power Dealers

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A committee in our condo is investigating solar power as a means of providing hot water for the apartments. They have talked with a representative of MEGASOL, but I assume there must be others in this business they should contact.

I would appreciate the name and contact info of reputable, reliable suppliers of solar systems.

Also, anybody on the board have experience with solar heating of water for a group of apartments?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Isn't the lime in the water a problem here?

People have told me that due to the delecate nature of the collector, the local water clogs them up and makes it very ineffcient.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the tip, Robert. Yes, it can be a problem.

Armed with the new awareness of this problem, I did some checking and discovered several places that got rid of solar water heating because of the build up of sediment. But then I found a place that is extremely happy with its system, and has been using it for 3 years with no problem. We've talked with the representative and it sounds very interesting. One of the differences is that the water is not heated by circulating through the solar panels. Instead, there is a special liquid that circulates though the panels and then surrounds the tank where the water is. Much like a heat exchanger on the boat we lived on for many years heated our water when the engine was running.

This company has a number of installations in the country, including in Sosua. The guarantee is 12 years. If anybody interested, the website is http://www.solchoco.com/

Last edited:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Ken said:
Thanks for the tip, Robert. Yes, it can be a problem.

Armed with the new awareness of this problem, I did some checking and discovered several places that got rid of solar water heating because of the build up of sediment. But then I found a place that is extremely happy with its system, and has been using it for 12 years with no problem. We've talked with the representative and it sounds very interesting. One of the differences is that the water is not heated by circulating through the solar panels. Instead, there is a special liquid that circulates though the panels and then surrounds the tank where the water is. Much like a heat exchanger on the boat we lived on for many years heated our water when the engine was running.

This company has a number of installations in the country, including in Sosua. The guarantee is 12 years. If anybody interested, the website is http://www.solchoco.com/

Ken do you know what the approximate cost is?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
gringo in dr said:
Ken do you know what the approximate cost is?
Two solar panels with a 180 gallon tank is US$6600. One panel with a 90 gallon tank is half that. The price includes everything. The Sosua/Puerto Plata office is in Sosua, tel 571-3191. They will go to your house to talk about where you might locate it, etc.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hard water?

Wouldn't a Kinetico type non-sodium softener solve the problem of hard water calcifying the capillary tubes in a solar/H2O array? I heat my FL pool as well as 2 80g hot water heaters that way, and we have very hard water here.