I quit! Making nachos, that is.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Have found the finest in the universe, right here in Sosua. yippee!!

No kidding... the chef is Mexican and he knows what he's doing. This is very cool, as I have been missing good Mexican cuisine.

The resaurant is El Botin, and it's on the left on Calle Dr. Rosen #23 (on the way to The Waterfront restaurant).

The Mexican menu includes ceviche, a cream of cilantro soup, a nice combination plate, and so on. Nachos were $150 pesos for a generous serving: chorizo sausage, beans, loads of cheese, guacamole, on delicious homemade chips. Two green salsas served on the side, both delicious, one full of fire. Oh, and the Presidente was ICE cold.

As well, there is an international menu... the chef told me they have a wondeful Indian soup on that menu, so I imagine I'll tear myself away from the nachos one day.

The ambience is delightful, comfy cushioned seats, cloth napkins, nice decor.
They open at 3 pm, until 11 or midnight.

Enjoy!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
dawnwil said:
Have found the finest in the universe, right here in Sosua. yippee!!

No kidding... the chef is Mexican and he knows what he's doing. This is very cool, as I have been missing good Mexican cuisine.

The resaurant is El Botin, and it's on the left on Calle Dr. Rosen #23 (on the way to The Waterfront restaurant).

The Mexican menu includes ceviche, a cream of cilantro soup, a nice combination plate, and so on. Nachos were $150 pesos for a generous serving: chorizo sausage, beans, loads of cheese, guacamole, on delicious homemade chips. Two green salsas served on the side, both delicious, one full of fire. Oh, and the Presidente was ICE cold.

As well, there is an international menu... the chef told me they have a wondeful Indian soup on that menu, so I imagine I'll tear myself away from the nachos one day.

The ambience is delightful, comfy cushioned seats, cloth napkins, nice decor.
They open at 3 pm, until 11 or midnight.

Enjoy!

I take it that you enjoyed your meal. LOL

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Rats, eating crow now

Good guess, Eddy... I had nachos, and only nachos, two days in a row. But last night was a bust. I'm soooo disappointed.

Tor: are you in town now? Have you noticed any inconsistencies in the kitchen?

I was ... yes, the word is 'exuberant' in describing those nachos to Escott, so we had dinner there last night. Tried the ceviche, which was a total bust. Served on lettuce, and no tartness at all.

AND... I couldn't believe it, but the nachos were awful: not the great crispy/puffy homemade chips, but ones that might have been bought at the playera. Served lukewarm, and not piping hot.

I find nothing puts me off more than inconsistency in a kitchen. Will try again, and ask if the chef I had spoken to was perhaps not there last night.

Now I'm going to get serious about making nachos, and try to emulate those excellent ones. sigh. It means finding some good chorizo, making homemade chips, etc.

doublydisappointeddawnwil

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
That's a shame..

I ate there last night (on Dawn's recommendation) and the nachos were great. - Even took home a doggy bag. It's always the way - you recommend somewhere and everyone reports back what a rotten meal they had. - Dominican pot-luck I'm afraid. - We'll certainly be going back though. But only after we've done the entire menu at the Thai place in Pro Cab. - Now that really is a tip-top place to eat - FANTASTIC!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Was there last night

Had the Mexican mixed plate. Was satisfactory. THose nachos looked real good. Gonna try them next time. My only complaint, only 1 choice of wine and the beer was not cold. But I guess that has nothing to do with the food. LOL

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Clue

... It was the chef, in the kitchen, with the pepper spray.

I popped in early eve yesterday and told the head waiter I was very disappointed. He said they had been busy that day and a new chef was not able to keep up. Only one other table at 7:30 ...?

Abraham, the primo chef, came out later and told me he was there but the other guy did the nachos and forgot to deep fry the tortillas. He also served a mean portion, not enough cheese, and forgot to broil the works.

So... I will ask for Abraham and stick to nachos when in the mood.

Hey... Simon & Nickie and Eddy-- sorry I missed you, LOL. Looks like the kitchen spruced up those nachos, anyway.

Most often people don't speak up, don't like to complain.. I believe it best to let them know, at least.

In this instance, I will visit the kitchen myself and direct the show, if it means good nachos. hee.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
ok, wise guy

You think you're smart, don't you? ha. Look for an email later. I won the bet, hands down.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
dawnwil said:
... So... I will ask for Abraham and stick to nachos when in the mood.

Hey... Simon & Nickie and Eddy-- sorry I missed you, LOL. Looks like the kitchen spruced up those nachos, anyway.

You have dinner to early. My time is 20:00/21:00. You drank ALL the cold beer. Overall, I can't complain other than the wam beer but that's your fault.