Experience with Kaplan courses in Santo Domingo?

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
I am preparing to (retake) my GRE in Santo Domingo, and I found on the Kaplan website (a test preparation company) that there is a Kaplan Center in Santo Domingo at the Universidad Iberoamericana. I also happened to read on the website, though, that the International Kaplan Centers are not exactly related to Kaplan, but that they basically pay money for the name, and have access to Kaplan resources, but are not expected to teach in the same manner/nor hold the same guarantee as the Kaplan Centers in the United States and Canada. I have spoken with Josefina, who is in charge of the Kaplan Center in Santo Domingo, and she seems nice and speaks very-educated, fluent English. I will probably end up taking the GRE-prep course from the Kaplan Center in Santo Domingo regardless, because my scores need to increase a bit to be considered "competitive". I was wondering, though, if anyone has any experiences with the Kaplan Center and its courses, because in case you can't tell, I am feeling a bit neurotic and nervous about anything related to Graduate School Application. Additionally, if it does have a negative reputation, I don't want to drop $800 U.S.D. there -- does this sound like a normal price, by the way (I know that that is a TON of money in comparison to many Dominicans' salaries)? Thank you :)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey Rubia
Can't help you on the Kaplan courses, but I can tell you my experience and help you set up a similar regime to improve your test scores. It also can save you US$800. My scores were 95+% tile and Ivys came knocking.
Feel free to send me a PM if you like. If this is an issue of needing to be held accountable or a need for "externally"-imposed discipline then I understand. Best of luck to you.
Deelt

rubia_gringa said:
I don't want to drop $800 U.S.D. there -- does this sound like a normal price, by the way (I know that that is a TON of money in comparison to many Dominicans' salaries)? Thank you :)