Moving to DR

DoctorK

Aug 19, 2004
My wife and I are looking for a property to use for vacation and eventual retirement. We hate snow.

We moved to the US from Ireland in 1980, so we would be very comfortable living near others of European origin as well as Americans.

We have been to Sint Maarten and several other Caribbean islands. Several of our friends have visited and bought time shares in DR. It seems the North coast is the most popular with tourists and we would be very grateful for referrals to realtors that people have been happy with as well as information on the best way to arrange the purchasing of property (privately held, vs. a Dominican corporation, etc.). :classic:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I would advise visiting & renting a property to start with, whilst you determine that this is the right country for you. The DR is not everyone's cup of tea! But welcome, anyway.
BTW which part of Ireland? My family was from Limerick, Sligo & Waterford.

DoctorK

Aug 19, 2004
Toronto2inDR said:
Where on the north cost are you thinking of buying? I have 2 lots for sale 850sq.m each next to each other with mountain/ocean view in Costambar and also happy to custom build.

fabiano_william@hotmail.com

We really prefer to buy an existing home, but thank you for the reply.

DoctorK

Aug 19, 2004
Lambada said:
I would advise visiting & renting a property to start with, whilst you determine that this is the right country for you. The DR is not everyone's cup of tea! But welcome, anyway.
BTW which part of Ireland? My family was from Limerick, Sligo & Waterford.

Wy wife if from County Meath, and I am from Dublin. How long have you lived in the DR?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
DoctorK said:
Wy wife if from County Meath, and I am from Dublin. How long have you lived in the DR?
Twelve years. The Irish feel "at home" here, there are some similar national characteristics - outgoing personalities, laid back nature & the friendliness of the Dominicans reminds me of Irish country pubs. Plus the emphasis on verbal communication, oral history etc. But it still needs checking out to make sure it is the country for you! Feel free to PM me if you want more details as to how I adjusted to life here (wouldn't want to bore everybody else!) ;)

Sharon

Jul 27, 2004
I have a condo for sale in sosua right in the heart of things.. near the beaches and walking distance to the main streets... It is a two bed two bath, pool, security and very nice.... Going very reasonable.....
you could email me at wallstreet98@hotmail.com for more info....
cheers.
hope all goes well...
sharon

DoctorK said:
My wife and I are looking for a property to use for vacation and eventual retirement. We hate snow.

We moved to the US from Ireland in 1980, so we would be very comfortable living near others of European origin as well as Americans.

We have been to Sint Maarten and several other Caribbean islands. Several of our friends have visited and bought time shares in DR. It seems the North coast is the most popular with tourists and we would be very grateful for referrals to realtors that people have been happy with as well as information on the best way to arrange the purchasing of property (privately held, vs. a Dominican corporation, etc.). :classic: