Tipping police

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Just something I've observed here.

When non Dominicans need help they tip the police to get a little extra service. Yet, when the police ask for a tip these same people are offended. Do you think the tourists/expats with money are making these "public servants" turn to asking for money because the people with the money are so ready to offer it when they need something?

Just a thought i was having. Like when tourists give gifts to the poor kids then get upset when the kids surround them and ask for stuff. Are we instilling this dependent behavior into the people?

Just a thought I was having whilst reading some of the posts....

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
Jan said:
Just something I've observed here.

When non Dominicans need help they tip the police to get a little extra service. Yet, when the police ask for a tip these same people are offended. Do you think the tourists/expats with money are making these "public servants" turn to asking for money because the people with the money are so ready to offer it when they need something?

Just a thought i was having. Like when tourists give gifts to the poor kids then get upset when the kids surround them and ask for stuff. Are we instilling this dependent behavior into the people?

Just a thought I was having whilst reading some of the posts....

hi jan,
in some cases, i think we can argue what came first, the chicken or the eg.. but in this case.. i definitely think that the asking came before the giving...

people give to the kids/poor out of pity, and they give to the cops out of fear.. do YOU want to end up in a dominican jail? think they have electricidad there? i would not chance it..

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
those cops that ask for $ is because they don't get paid enough and suggesting a pay increase is as scary a topic to the people at the top as suggesting to start a voodoo club at the destacamento quarters. I don't think the xpats/tourists are spoiling them. These cops are just more trigger happy (shameless) when they know or find out where people with money roll by. Specially tourists, that are on vacation against the clock to be deviating the route and dragging the whole group down to el destacamento to waste time and settle it there. It is absolutely offensive when you get pulled over and have to buy your aggravation to be on your way. But that service is worth its weight in gold as those fees arent even ankle high compared with bank breaking traffic tickets fees in the states. It is fine when you help (bribe) a cop because it's a budgeted expense that you're crafting for your own vindication and you have total control over what you shell out. So it doesn't hurt at all when you get a cop to do you a favor than when you have to out wit or pay your way out when pulled over.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
With all respect I totally disagree

Whenever you pay someone for services that person has an intrensic interest in the outcome of the service and in the amount you pay them.

Unless things are different in the DR the police are supposed to serve and protect the public by upholding the laws of the land in an impartial and objective manner. IMO they cannot do this when paid by parties involved in their work.

Before you'll get you pants in a knot; I know that this isn't how it actually works in the DR at the moment. It is just my opinion on how the police in principle should be operating.

I also admit to the fact that I would rather pay off a supossed traffic violation with some beermoney than be taken to the ajuntamiento to waste my time and eventually have the same outcome or worse because there are more people holding out their hands. I even admit to using the names of higher placed officers as a protective shield when things get out of hand...

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
according to the Amet director, chump change or the "do you know who I am!?" intimidation line is not going to fly any more as the "new and improved" Amet police will hit the streets to distribute traffic tickets and take names to restore order with impunity in SD. The chief said not even the Amet police personnel will have a free pass. Let's see what happens.