principe

Nov 19, 2002
What do you think of the 99 generals that Leonel retired?? Honestly, my uncle is one of them, but I'm sure he'll be fine without the job!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, the action is a slap to Hipolito so Hail to Leonel!

But, I really feel that there is no need for so many generals, so I am for this move.

Plus, this will help save some much needed money for the government.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why the hell does the DR need an army, let alone an over inflated amount of Generals? Well done Leonel!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I'm glad

I'm very happy about this however, I am really more concerned with the behavior of the attorney general I hope his actions are just as firm with criminals as Leonel's have been with these "vividores"

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Robert said:
Why the hell does the DR need an army, let alone an over inflated amount of Generals? Well done Leonel!

That's one thing I've NEVER been able to understand. Every time there's a parade and I see those hundreds of soldiers, I can't help but wonder what they're all for...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
KateP said:
That's one thing I've NEVER been able to understand. Every time there's a parade and I see those hundreds of soldiers, I can't help but wonder what they're all for...

Kate, how do you have a parade without soldiers?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
hehe! I saw this thread header and immediately that old drinking song came to mind - y'know, 99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer.... and so on... Let the generals fall!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Actually I think the DR has a tremendous need for an army. Enforcing the border with Haiti, putting down potential insurgency, assisting with natural disasters etc. Or was everyone just kidding? Also, as in the US, it could be a great training opportunity for the uneducated, unskilled young people.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ken said:
Kate, how do you have a parade without soldiers?
Key West has ~very cool~ parades without soldiers. Without tops, too...

:D

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
an uncle i never met got axed too and am sure he'll be alrite. A paper even called him squeaky, like it was a great move to reasign him to his 'home' base. Anyway, I think the move was in retaliation to Hippo's clean swepping some old generals when he took office back in 2k, and reactivated them right back to their old jobs.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Danny W said:
Actually I think the DR has a tremendous need for an army. Enforcing the border with Haiti,
We need a Border Patrol controlled by an incorruptible Inmigration Dpt.
putting down potential insurgency,
Wrong country, there isn't an insurgency and I doubt there will.
assisting with natural disasters etc.
Defensa Civil already has that job.
Also, as in the US, it could be a great training opportunity for the uneducated, unskilled young people.
Here we call that botellas.

I am all for getting rid of the army.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
I agree with PIb, BUT???

Pib said:
We need a Border Patrol controlled by an incorruptible Inmigration Dpt.

What appens IF there is an armed invasion a Boreder Control Dept couold not handle?

Wrong country, there isn't an insurgency and I doubt there will.

No one anticpates aremed insurrection, but what if?

Defensa Civil already has that job. Here we call that botellas.

I am all for getting rid of the army.

Civilians will always oppose and Armed force as useless and a "money pit" until they are needed.

A agree the Dominican Army could greatly be reformed but some type of a well armed National force is needed, especially in the volatile Latin America region

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is no possible need for an Army!

While I know a lot of the folks in the Army, I cannot, for the life of me, argue for its existance. How? They are corrupt from the bottom to the top.

The government could cut off the pensions for all of the generals and none of them would lose a wink's sleep. They have homes and properties beyond your wildest dreams.

Off with their heads!

HB :D:D:D

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
principe said:
I'm very happy about this however, I am really more concerned with the behavior of the attorney general I hope his actions are just as firm with criminals as Leonel's have been with these "vividores"
Don't worry about the attorney general, he is a serious educated man who knows his business well. I know him personally and he is a proud santiaguero.
Well done leonel in bringing this country back into path of recovery.
AZB

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Costa Rica

For a country without a military, look at Costa Rica, also in a "volatile" region, directly south of Nicaragua. Money otherwise spent on the black hole of the military in CR is otherwise spent on education, medical care, etc. Did the RD really need those helicoptors that were purchased in the last two weeks of the Hippie's administration? They're going to either rust or be grounded or crash for lack of parts or maintenance.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
without those choppers there wouldn't be a need for the "Air Force" and its ranks of generals.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Also, according to resent surveys, Costa Rica is among the Latin countries losing faith in Democracy.

Obviously, the money they "saved" by not having a military is not helping them progress.

The Army does come in handy when trouble spouts out of control here in the DR, so leave it alone.

However, a military reform would be good, but not eliminating them altogether. That would be a mistake.