Cigars redux redux--Great news

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well sort of great news.

I was in La Romana last weekend and found two very nice places to get top quality cigars.
1) FUMO, located in the Marina, or Altos de Chav?n.
They are also located at Bavaro Beach Resort and
Centro Comercial El Lim?n on the Highway between La Romana and Higuey.

The one I visited had real, authentic Cubans and top of the line Dominican Cigars.

The Cubans were fairly priced. HOWEVER, THEY HAD TOBACCO BEETLES SO YOU HAVE TO INSPECT THEM VERY VERY CLOSELY.

If you were to buy a box or just a few, your only practical solution to kill the beetles and their larva is to put the cigars (even in the box) into large ziploc bags-at least two of them-and put the package into a freezer for three days and then into the refridgerator for another two or three days, no longer. Then they can go into your humidor with reasonable safety.

Good smoking.

The second place I found and looked over was a Caribe Plaza on the outskirts of La Romana. It is a stand alone mall like building, fairly new, and with a large parking lot. Huge Fuente signs outside, and very hard to miss. They only have Dominican made cigars but they have the very best. Unfortunately, for the knowledgeable cigar person the prices are off the chart. They wanted $30 for a Fuente Opus X #5, and that is absurd. BUT, there was no limit on individual sticks, so if you have deep pockets you could buy all the Fuente products your plastic could stand. You can get better prices in New York or at JRCigar.com. All of the major names are there.

Tour buses from Punta Cana and Bavaro stop there on their way to Santo Domingo.

So there you have it. "The word with the bark on it."

HB

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Interesting Info

HB, good to know.

Which Cuban brands did you see there?

Any of the more popular/respected vitolas present?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Absolutely!

Monte #2s and at least three other sizes, Most of the Cohiba line, Trinidades, Bolivars, R&J, and a couple more.

Beetle problem not yet solved but I am trying to get the owners to think outside the box!!

HB ::D:D

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
Good Dominican Products

After having had a chance to light up Cohibas and then the extremely fine quality heaters from Tim Hall at Cafe Cito, I would not even bother with the Cuban tobacco products. Tim's Dominican stogies are top shelf. Don't bother to chase after Fidel's smokes.

SB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That's not the point, Snowbird

The point is that there are now some places, albeit on the South Coast, where real cigar aficionados can obtain Cuban product at fair prices...IF they solve the beetle problem.

As for Tim Hall's products, they are very good, no doubt. He and I have shared many a cigar, and it is a good place to start, if you are looking for some sticks...

HB :)