going to dr

vaquita

Aug 20, 2004
For anyone living in the dominican, I have a questions for you. I just graduated from the university and am taking time off before continuing my education. I want an adventure/challange for myself and wanted to go live in a foreign country for a year or so. I did live in Santiago, Chile for a year and am fluent in spanish. For some reason the Dominican Republic is where I would like to go (actually I'll admit Cuba is my number one choice but being from the United States, that might just make everything harder). But now to my question. What do you think is the chance that if I just went down there I could find a job (I would like working in a hotel or something but don't really care) and a place to live and get to know some of the people down there. I don't have a work visa or anything. I know this depends on a lot of things, but just to get an idea...that would help.
appreciate it.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If your #1 choice is Cuba you can fly there in a little over an hour from Santo Domingo airport on Cubana and if you ask the Cuban migracion agent they won't stamp your passport in or out. And you can enter and exit the DR from the USA without showing your passport to the USA or the DR agents, in any case. Use a birth certificate and drivers license.

Hotel wages and similar jobs pay less than US$200 a month.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
ricktoronto said:
If your #1 choice is Cuba you can fly there in a little over an hour from Santo Domingo airport on Cubana and if you ask the Cuban migracion agent they won't stamp your passport in or out. And you can enter and exit the DR from the USA without showing your passport to the USA or the DR agents, in any case. Use a birth certificate and drivers license.

Hotel wages and similar jobs pay less than US$200 a month.

What Rick said is true, but what I believe you would have a lot trouble with is getting a visa to stay in cuba for a year.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Am amazed that the Grammar Police have not landed here yet!

Please refrain from using the term "the dominican" when referring to the Dominican Republic. "Dominican" is an adjective and must modify a noun, like food, people, or Republic.

Use the DR to save finger strokes.

Now to your problem.

Seek out Jan and see if she can give you some pointers. She is a really cool person that did the pull-up-stakes-and-to-heck-with-the-rest-of-the-world thing a couple of years ago and has dand her adventure.

Type in *Jan* in the Search Function, and see where it leads you...

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
CyaBye3015 said:
What Rick said is true, but what I believe you would have a lot trouble with is getting a visa to stay in cuba for a year.

True, I know an American who lived there for seven years and he had to fly to Nassau or Mexico like clockwork every 90 days and return. The authorities knew exactly what he was doing, and he even offered to give them the airfare to Bahamas and they said no, you have to go and come back. When the Pope visited the ex-pats, him included got turfed out until the Pope left.

vaquita

Aug 20, 2004
Jan?

Hillbilly said:
Please refrain from using the term "the dominican" when referring to the Dominican Republic. "Dominican" is an adjective and must modify a noun, like food, people, or Republic.

Use the DR to save finger strokes.

Now to your problem.

Seek out Jan and see if she can give you some pointers. She is a really cool person that did the pull-up-stakes-and-to-heck-with-the-rest-of-the-world thing a couple of years ago and has dand her adventure.

Type in *Jan* in the Search Function, and see where it leads you...

HB

Thanks for the pointer. But do you know anything else about Jan. Searching for her gives me a lot of different people. Do you know her user name?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
vaquita said:
Thanks for the pointer. But do you know anything else about Jan. Searching for her gives me a lot of different people. Do you know her user name?

Go to the advanced search function and type "Jan" under User Name, from there you can PM her.

Joe

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
what exactly are you skills? my company (Citigroup) has offices in santo domingo. I really cant apply since i murder the language...but if you are fluent perhaps i can do some research for you. Perhaps you could work for a bit in the US and then transfer (thus keeping and american salary "-)

vaquita

Aug 20, 2004
jrzyguy said:
what exactly are you skills? my company (Citigroup) has offices in santo domingo. I really cant apply since i murder the language...but if you are fluent perhaps i can do some research for you. Perhaps you could work for a bit in the US and then transfer (thus keeping and american salary "-)

jrzyguy....I graduated with a BS in biomedical engineering but I haven't done much with that. Since I plan to go to med school I've been doing more work in clinics/hospitals. I don't know how far that'll get me but I'm pretty flexible. :) Any ideas? Thanks for helping.