In-Flight Insurance and Terrorism

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHH

Aug 18, 2004
I will be traveling to the DR soon.

Does anyone know the particulars for Insurance when one is in flight on a commercial plane and a terrorist incident occurs involving the plane. For example, if the plane were shot down? I have tried to research this on the internet and I keep coming up empty. I find insurance policies which state that one is covered due to an "accident" and I find insurance policies that state that your trip cost is covered if you wish to cancel a flight due to a terrorist incident in a city you are traveling to. But, I find nothing which specifically states that one is covered while flying if the plane crashes due to a terrorist incident, which I assume the insurance company would not classify as an "accident". Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Unburden yourself

PHH,

You have discovered insurance companies write coverage against "accidents".

An "accident" is unforseen or unplanned. A terrorist incident is something done by design.

Although I'm not an expert on this, some policies are written to have a clause to the effect that says "policy not enforcible as a result of act of war, riot, or civil disorder" and I would think a terrorist act would fall under the representations. This is not to say you cannot get coverage for a terrorist act. However, you will have to have a policy written to cover such an event and it will not come with a cheap premium. The higher the risk the higher the cost.

I would think it is a waste of time, energy, and emotions, getting yourself concerned about insurance and terrorism. The risk involved is very minimal and the only winner is the insurance company. Unburden yourself of these worries and focus on enjoying the trip to the island, have fun.

Regards,
PJT

PHH

Aug 18, 2004
Okay...

I am sure you are right. I am curious about this subject. Please allow me to investigate this further.

If one had regular life insurance and was on one of the planes that was hijacked and flown into the buildings on 9/11...were they not covered by their life insurance policy or by any policies of the airline? In general,that is.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
move on

This is a morbid thread.
Do you plan on scamming a life insurance policy or committing a terrorist act??
What is the point of your inquiry?
Let's remember those who perished on 9/11 and move on with our lives please.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Give It Up

PHH said:
I am sure you are right. I am curious about this subject. Please allow me to investigate this further.

If one had regular life insurance and was on one of the planes that was hijacked and flown into the buildings on 9/11...were they not covered by their life insurance policy or by any policies of the airline? In general,that is.

Other than the "fact" you are saying you are coming to the DR soon, this is a pointless waste of time to discuss here. If you want answers ask your insurance company.

It is generally accepted that life insurance for aparticular flight is the biggest waste of money there is since the odds of getting hit by a rogue dirigible, lightning or crazed circus midgets on a unicycle are all better than the odds of death in an commercial aircraft.

Plus for those who dealt with 9/11 directly or indirectly, this is probably unwelcome as a topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.