Is it easy to........

Milani

Aug 9, 2004
Is it easy to find a standard 1 bed apartment in Santo Domingo has internet connection and is in an OK area for less than $400 US a month?

I am a British guy about to move over, and starting to think about my budget!

Look forward to your thoughts/comments

Milani

Aug 9, 2004
KateP said:
US$400/month will definately get you something nice.

Thanks Kate, How would you go about actually finding an apartment when one arrives? Estate Angency? ask about?

Or do individual properties have signs out saying they are for rent?

Thanks in advance

Steve

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The classifieds in Listin Diario and Hoy have many ads with prices and locations so there is a good place to start. I always enjoy reading them when I am waiting to fly out as they are available in the Admirals Club and I don't normally read them during the week in Boca Chica ( other than at Burger King).

rubia_gringa

May 19, 2004
A piece of advice that many Peace Corps volunteers gave me (it was useful too) is that if you're not having good luck with the apartments listed in the paper, you should go to a neighborhood that you would like to live in (for $400 U.S., you could live in a nicer neighborhood of Santo Domingo) and ask at the neighborhood colmado if anyone is renting anything in that neighborhood, or if they know who you could talk to. It also helped me to have a Dominican friend with me when I was looking for apartments, because it kept them from giving me an outlandish gringa "discount". I'm sure I still got a "discount", but the prices that people were telling me (or the weird charges that they were adding on to the rent price listed in advertisements) were not nearly as high (or the charges didn't exist) when I was with a Dominican. Good luck, and I know that you'll find something great. Just don't rush through it, be VERY patient, and it will work out.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
All excellent suggestions. Many people put signs out when they've got something to rent so I would suggest, if you have the time, driving around a neighbourhood you like and jotting down the numbers you see. You could also get a Remax/Century 21, etc. agent to help you out.

Good luck!