City girl hitting the beaches

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
Hello all. Im travelling with another girlfriend of mine to DR (same old line your used to hearing Im sure). Starting in Sosua for 2 nights, Hotel Magnifo in Cabarete for 2 nights and then working my way East for a few night. Im not quite sure the best way for me to get from Santiago to Sosua. Should I rent a car , bus or take a cab and secondly, Im considering Bahia de las Ballenas. Any suggestions on where to stay in Sosua? Comments on Bahia de las Ballenas? Im considering just renting a car from Cabarete to drive to Terrenas. Also, is there any way to get someonw to drive me to Bicardi Island without having to board ship with 100 other tourists. Any suggestions on lodging or change in travel plans would be appreciated. We are two city girls looking forward to exhaling.
Sherry

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Some of your questions.

sdivito said:
Hello all. Im travelling with another girlfriend of mine to DR (same old line your used to hearing Im sure). Starting in Sosua for 2 nights, Hotel Magnifo in Cabarete for 2 nights and then working my way East for a few night. Im not quite sure the best way for me to get from Santiago to Sosua. Should I rent a car , bus or take a cab and secondly, Im considering Bahia de las Ballenas. Any suggestions on where to stay in Sosua? Comments on Bahia de las Ballenas? Im considering just renting a car from Cabarete to drive to Terrenas. Also, is there any way to get someonw to drive me to Bicardi Island without having to board ship with 100 other tourists. Any suggestions on lodging or change in travel plans would be appreciated. We are two city girls looking forward to exhaling.
Sherry
From Sosua to Cabarete is only a 10 minute public car ride and if your next stop East is to be the Samana peninsula, it would be worth coming back to Sosua for the Caribe Tour bus that will get you there comfortably in 3 1/2 to 4 hours for a measly cost of 7 or 8 US dollars. Caribe Tours also have an hourly bus service to Santiago from Sosua for 3 or 4 bucks.
You may be able to find a local fisherman who could take you out to Bacardi island, but do be sure that his vessel is worthy and that he doesn't have too much Brugal under his belt.
As you are starting your trek in Sosua, you are welcome to drop in and get all the travel advice you like.
PS: Should you decide to drive yourself to Las Terenas, you need to have a special attitude for driving here, but if you're comfortable with it, the drive there sure is pretty.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Rocky said:
PS: Should you decide to drive yourself to Las Terenas, you need to have a special attitude for driving here, but if you're comfortable with it, the drive there sure is pretty.

Could you talk further about the 'special attitude for driving here' comment.

I was thinking about hiring a car next time i visited, obviously i have seen the roads and driving on other visits. Can you give any advice for people intending to hire cars out there?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Driving the DR

tired_boy said:
Could you talk further about the 'special attitude for driving here' comment.

I was thinking about hiring a car next time i visited, obviously i have seen the roads and driving on other visits. Can you give any advice for people intending to hire cars out there?
Some would say that it just isn't safe. As I have been living and driving here for 13 years, it is possible to stay out of trouble.
One must understand that although they are capable drivers, they pay little attention to rules, like traffic lights and staying in their lane, or just stopping on the highway to talk to a buddy.
If you drive with care and expect anything and everything, then there should be no problem.
It may be good to avoid night driving at first, as they don't like to turn their highbeams down, and unless you know the road really well, it could be a bit tough.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hlywud said:
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road. And there are a million nuts driving in the DR.
Dang Wud, you sure do have a way with words, lol.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
Bacardi Island

sdivito said:
Also, is there any way to get someonw to drive me to Bicardi Island without having to board ship with 100 other tourists.

We have been a couple of times with a small boat for only a few persons to Bacardi Island. It is no fisherman. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the company. They do not operate in the harbour where all the 100 tourists-boats are. Drive past the harbour and up the hill until you see them on the right side of the road where there is a jetty and small yellow(?) casita. Ask for Tutanosa (don't know how to spell his name) and negotiate the price with him.

Maybe somebody else can give you more exact information on this.

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
Thank you

Rocky said:
From Sosua to Cabarete is only a 10 minute public car ride and if your next stop East is to be the Samana peninsula, it would be worth coming back to Sosua for the Caribe Tour bus that will get you there comfortably in 3 1/2 to 4 hours for a measly cost of 7 or 8 US dollars. Caribe Tours also have an hourly bus service to Santiago from Sosua for 3 or 4 bucks.
You may be able to find a local fisherman who could take you out to Bacardi island, but do be sure that his vessel is worthy and that he doesn't have too much Brugal under his belt.
As you are starting your trek in Sosua, you are welcome to drop in and get all the travel advice you like.

Thank you for your comments. I think I will take a bus to Sosua and would love to stop in for some more advice. Where might that be??
SHerry

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
sdivito said:
Thank you for your comments. I think I will take a bus to Sosua and would love to stop in for some more advice. Where might that be??
SHerry

Rocky (Marco) owns Rocky's Bar in Sosua he has rooms to rent too, also serves the best BBQ ribs on earth!

http://www.rockysbar.com

Joe

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
Chareena said:
We have been a couple of times with a small boat for only a few persons to Bacardi Island. It is no fisherman. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the company. They do not operate in the harbour where all the 100 tourists-boats are. Drive past the harbour and up the hill until you see them on the right side of the road where there is a jetty and small yellow(?) casita. Ask for Tutanosa (don't know how to spell his name) and negotiate the price with him.

Maybe somebody else can give you more exact information on this.

Thanks for the info. Do you recall what the price was?

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
Can you recommend any lodging on the beach

Rocky said:

Marco:
Seeing that you are in the crux of it all, can you recommend any lodging on the beach in Sosua? Im not the AI type but would like something nice. I rented a room at the Hotel Magnifico in Cabarete, do you have any opinion of their lodging. Can you suggest lodging in Las Terrenas? Do you have any other suggestions for my travels. Im open to all and just ignorant to the way of the land.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
On the beach

sdivito said:
Marco:
Seeing that you are in the crux of it all, can you recommend any lodging on the beach in Sosua? Im not the AI type but would like something nice. I rented a room at the Hotel Magnifico in Cabarete, do you have any opinion of their lodging. Can you suggest lodging in Las Terrenas? Do you have any other suggestions for my travels. Im open to all and just ignorant to the way of the land.
If you require that your hotel be right on the beach, Sosua by the Sea is just about the only one that's not all inclusive.
You may find it a bit pricey and prefer something within minutes walking distance that offers better value.
FYI: The POP airport is in Sosua and is called the POP airport for the province and not the town of POP.
Most hotels will offer you free airport pick up.
El Magnifico gets some great reviews and some bad ones. It's location certainly is good.
Once you are here, we will be able to find you a bunch of possibilities for Las Terenas hotels, according to your needs and budget.

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
Rocky said:
If you require that your hotel be right on the beach, Sosua by the Sea is just about the only one that's not all inclusive.
You may find it a bit pricey and prefer something within minutes walking distance that offers better value.
FYI: The POP airport is in Sosua and is called the POP airport for the province and not the town of POP.
Most hotels will offer you free airport pick up.
El Magnifico gets some great reviews and some bad ones. It's location certainly is good.
Once you are here, we will be able to find you a bunch of possibilities for Las Terenas hotels, according to your needs and budget.

Thanks again. I will definately be stopping in for some ribs. On another note, I dont necessarily need the beach right away. What about digs at your place?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sdivito said:
Thanks again. I will definately be stopping in for some ribs. On another note, I dont necessarily need the beach right away. What about digs at your place?
I would rather not do any hotel business over this message board.
You certainly are welcome to PM or e-mail me and we can run through the options.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You mentioned Santiago to Sosua

There are two options:
1) take a taxi from the airport for arond $40 to Sosua--Ask for Rafaelito, he is a trustworth and safe driver

2) Take a taxi into Santiago to the Caribe Tour station in Los Jardines (Just down the street from the Metro Bus Station)
Pay $4.00 to Sosua..Taxi will be about $10 or $12..

HB

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
From Santiago to Sosua

If you are not coming right on this week I can tell you how much to pay for a taxi from Santiago Airport to Caribe Tours bus station. I live in Santiago and I'm dominican, so I can get a right price. Some of the taxi drivers will try to get more money than they should. I will tell you later.

See you.

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
gatoazul said:
If you are not coming right on this week I can tell you how much to pay for a taxi from Santiago Airport to Caribe Tours bus station. I live in Santiago and I'm dominican, so I can get a right price. Some of the taxi drivers will try to get more money than they should. I will tell you later.

See you.

Would be good to know in advance what the price from the Airport to Caribe Tours bus station is so as not to be completely ripped off. Can you also comment on tipping for me as a % . Im just naive to the ways of DR and dont wish to throw money away or insult anyone.

Thanks in advance,
Sherry

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
gatoazul said:

See you.

Any chance you will be driving up to the North Coast?