Renting a plane? Shipping Question

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I dont normally hang out in this forum, but I need help! The business I work for is getting involved in possibly catering a huge wedding in the DR.

It looks like we will need to bring more things than we had expected... is it possible to charter a cargo plane to bring stuff down? My boss suggested calling UPS, but do they even charter their planes like that? Going through the airlines seems to be getting complicated, and they might not even be able to handle the amount of stuff we have to bring.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Hmmm... I can't really estimate... it will be alot. It will be food, cases of champagne and wine, and now probably some china, for 1200 people. You do the math :)

How nice to have my two favorite men rushing to help me out... no fighting boys ;)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I take it you've checked to see if you can get any of this locally? It would be interesting to see china arrive and leave intact...

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Bugsey34 said:
I dont normally hang out in this forum, but I need help! The business I work for is getting involved in possibly catering a huge wedding in the DR.

It looks like we will need to bring more things than we had expected... is it possible to charter a cargo plane to bring stuff down? My boss suggested calling UPS, but do they even charter their planes like that? Going through the airlines seems to be getting complicated, and they might not even be able to handle the amount of stuff we have to bring.

Bugsey34

You are very rich?

A Boeing Biz jet (Seats about 50-58 people) will cost you about $10,000.00 per hour, so R/T from NYC would run roughly $70,000 to drop off and another $70,000.00 to pick up

Something smaller such as a Gulfstream V would greatly reduce cost to $60,000.00 each way

renting a private aircraft is sensible if convenience is the issue, it is NOT an economic option

Good luck

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
This is probably going to turn into a million-dollar event, so money is not really an object at this point.

And yes, Kate we have looked into renting options down there and the pickings are slim... thats what made me look into the plane in the first place.

Argo: is that a cargo plane you are talking about?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Wow, I'm impressed. I'll check with a friend of mine who has a mailing service to see if he has any ideas. Where and when is the wedding taking place?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Bugsey34 said:
Hmmm... I can't really estimate... it will be alot. It will be food, cases of champagne and wine, and now probably some china, for 1200 people. You do the math :)

How nice to have my two favorite men rushing to help me out... no fighting boys ;)
Hey listen, Alan and I would like to work this affair for you. Anything we can do just let us know.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
KateP said:
Wow, I'm impressed. I'll check with a friend of mine who has a mailing service to see if he has any ideas. Where and when is the wedding taking place?

This will be in November, we would want to fly into La Romana.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I think we solved it with the UPS option guys, but thanks for all of your help! The DR1 community is the best...

mharshman

Sep 23, 2003
This is Funny.

Bugsey34 said:
I think we solved it with the UPS option guys, but thanks for all of your help! The DR1 community is the best...
$10,000 fpr shipping and $50,000 to bring food into the country to pay off customs, which is illegal unless canned.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
We have done a wedding there before a couple years back so I don't think we'll have a problem... just we are taking more stuff this time because it's even more people.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
[ In a nutshell ]

Bugsey34,

You need to estimate as best you can the total volume and weight you are going to ship air to the island. When you arrive at that you should approach the carriers, such at UPS and/or Fedex and then ask them for a quote for their services. Also, you may want to look for a transportion/logistics consultant to coordinate this for you. The money and headaches they save you will more than pay for their fees.

Also, a cheaper option would be to ship at this time all the non-perishable goods via ocean container and reserve the perishables and last minute items for air. Ocean shipment needs to be done ASAP because you will need sufficient lead time to allow transport and consolidation of the cargo to one port, document preparation, ocean transport, customs clearance, and forwarding to destination.

Regards and good luck.
PJT