I am back in Santo Domingo from my trip to south-west

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Hello Lambada and everybody else who missed me... :p

I just wrote a huge message to post here and then the computer went BOM! and I had forgotten to save the text... AARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!

I have no time to re-write all of it now, so just briefly:

I did not get a discount from my hotel for the electrical power cut. I didn?t expect it either, I just wanted to make a point.

By the way, for a good cheap lunch, try a vegetarian restaurant in Santo Domingo. Good value for money, you only pay for what is on your plate. The restaurants are usually very simple but clean and well maintained

I have just returned from a great long weekend in the south-west of DR. We stayed in Barcelo Barouco. We visited Hoya Del Pelempito, Lago Enriquillo, Bahia de Aguilas and some more places. I strongly recommend a visit to the south-west! But be prepared that it is more suitable for the person looking for a bit of adventuren and who enjoys hiking and exploring remote areas. If you are more into well developed beach areas, water sports and entertainment, you are better off elsewhere.

I can?t believe I lost all that text I wrote! Sooo frustrating! Oh, well, eso es la vida loca...

I am off now for a lunch on home made paella with friends! More later...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hi, again, Voyager, we were getting worried.......... ;) Hope to hear more of your travels without all the other stuff getting the thread closed! Shame about the discount, never mind, you gave us all a smile!

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Lambada said:
Hi, again, Voyager, we were getting worried.......... ;) Hope to hear more of your travels without all the other stuff getting the thread closed! Shame about the discount, never mind, you gave us all a smile!

Thanks!

Yeah, when I came back and found out how my previous thread had ?developed?, I was quite overwhelmed. Interesting, isn?t it, how one thing leads to another.

And AZB, if you are reading this, thank you for your revised comments to me! Appreciated! If ever you come to Saudi, I?ll buy you a shwarma!

When I started negotiating wirth the poor guy in the hotel reception desk about the discount for power cut, our discussion kind of transcended into the twiling zone. Hampered by language problems and differing views on the matter, I decided to pass and just let it be.

My point though is that, albeit not knowing the complete situation here in DR, I feel a bit confused why people seem to just accept the daily power cuts and not take action? Or maybe I am wrong? What I mean to say is that maybe the hotel can not control the power supply (but don?t they have their own generator to compensate for power loss?) from the provider of electricity. So then we have this situation: I, as customer demand compensation from the hotel for not gettign full value of the cost of the room. So the hotel lose money because of the power cut. Then the hotel go to the distributor of the electricity and in turn demand compensation from them, explaioning that the hotel lose money because the customer complain about frequent power cuts. If the supplier of electricity does not want to compensate the hotel, then the hotel should take them to court! Sue them!

If every hotel in DR took every supplier of electricity to court, the situation would probably escalate to a major/minor crisis and somebody (the government?) would have to take action!

I have been travelling to DR on a regular basis the last 4 years and all that time people just sigh and refer to the power cuts as something un-fixable!?
Then they tell me that DR is a developing country! Okey, so develop!!! A developing country is, by definition, a country that develops, right?

I apologize beforehand if I am talking nonsense here and only displaying my ignorance....

Last edited:

anonymous1960

Jul 7, 2004
Oh my God, another one...

Voyager,

do you do it on purpose? I can't resist!

We finished the other thread in the best way it could have possibly finished, by concluding that we have a Dominican underclass ("fango"), who are the dark(er) people, and the Dominican Elite.

The Dominican Elite is not responsible at all for the total destitution of the underclass, since the underclass is dirty and bad-mannered.

You can tell a Dominican underclass member by his/her resemblance to an African. Africans, as depicted in the National Geographic Channel (not the National Geographic in print, you would oblige the Dominican Elite to read), are dirty and bad-mannered.

Dominican underclass member are very distasteful and are found accompanying themselves with tourists (obvious underclass members of their own respective countries) who cannot tell decent, light(er)-colored people from the fango.

Now, let's see, you'talking lawsuits? Courts? Welcome, my name is Caonabo and we have the Dominican Judicial System here!

A few months ago, police got a guy with 30 Kilograms of coca in his car. That's 30 Kilos my friend, you get a life sentence in the US for that!

Well, the judge found out that the police opened the trunk of his car, instead of himself opening the trunk! Gross invasion of privacy! The guy walks!

Lawsuit, you said?

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Desculpa...

Oops, Anonymous1960, I guess sometimes I should keep quiet... However, I did have a gut feeling I was way out, so I repeat my apology and acknowledge that I was talking nonsense.

Oh, but I do not ?do it on purpose?. Occasionally, I am just very naive... Sigh!

I rest my case!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Voyager,
The people who really have had it tough are the colmado owners who don't have huge profit margins anyway. When the power goes, if no planta, damaged food, no cold drinks.........no business.

carolinet

Oct 21, 2003
Voyager,

The people are sick of having strikes (have you not read about people in the streets burning tyres and firing off shots in an effort to grab the attention of Mej?a's government???) and protests in an attempt to change the elctricity situation. Nothing was happening.

Then when Leonel was voted in, people decided to bide their time a little and ease off on the protests until they saw whether or not the new administration would improve matters.

Believe me, if they don't see big improvements within a few months, the protests will start again....