Need info on bringing a dog into the D.R.

edh1vail

Aug 23, 2004
Hopefully someone has some information. I'll be arriving in Cabarete early October with my dog. I plan on staying for at least one year. I've already secured a place to live that takes animals. I'm wondering what specific paperwork I'll need to obtain from my Vet, prior to arriving and if there's any sort of mandatory quaranteen out there. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Eliott

mharshman

Sep 23, 2003
Dogs

edh1vail said:
Hopefully someone has some information. I'll be arriving in Cabarete early October with my dog. I plan on staying for at least one year. I've already secured a place to live that takes animals. I'm wondering what specific paperwork I'll need to obtain from my Vet, prior to arriving and if there's any sort of mandatory quaranteen out there. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Eliott
You will need a full set of shots including Rabies, and this has to be done exactly 2 weeks before departure, and certificates with your vets stamps. However if you are leaving from the States call American airlines, and they will tell you exactly what you need to board the plane. Most airlines who take dogs will have the answers, because they will know what each country requires. In the states only American will fly dogs in cargo.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
if you're not bringing Rin Tin Tin down to the DR, you can buy carry on case at a pet shop and some potion to mellow the dog out while on the plane. You need to bring to the DR consulate in the US the dog's health certificate and get it stamped. I believe the stamp costs about $80usd. Get in touch with DR consulate so they can explain "the stamp" you have to get. Also, look here... http://www.domrep.org/consulates.htm

edh1vail

Aug 23, 2004
quejeyoke said:
if you're not bringing Rin Tin Tin down to the DR, you can buy carry on case at a pet shop and some potion to mellow the dog out while on the plane. You need to bring to the DR consulate in the US the dog's health certificate and get it stamped. I believe the stamp costs about $80usd. Get in touch with DR consulate so they can explain "the stamp" you have to get. Also, look here... http://www.domrep.org/consulates.htm
Thanks for the info. I just contacted the consulate in San Francisco and got all the necessary information. Again, thanks for your help.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A few suggestions for when you pack up to come down here... bring any medication your dog usually takes, plus toys for a year. Pet shops haven't been importing much in the past year and it's sometimes tough to find good stuff. Also, be careful when you buy dog food down here. Make sure you buy it at a supermarket or a place that sells a lot because since prices are so high, many people have stopped buying dog food and cook for them instead. That means the bags stay on the shelves longer and you might end up with spoilt food. Also, try to prevent contact with local dogs. Your dog could easily end up with fleas and ticks or any one of many sicknesses. You might want to ask about your return to the US. Last I heard, dogs leaving the DR had to be in quarantine during a couple of months. Don't know if it applies to dogs from the US but after a year, they might be taking that precaution.

BTW, what breed is your dog?