lenney

plenegan

Aug 20, 2004
This post is to anyone who can advise us.Me and the missis have visited the DR on numerous occasions ( and here it is folks we are thinking of moving out there )First off I would like to say we are not a couple of kids with our heads in the clouds.We are just looking for some sound honest advise that would help us in any way.I suppose the main one to ask would be how much money we would need.We have a house to sell and we have some money saved so we wouldnt be coming out destitute nor would we be arriving millonaires. PESO millonaires yes Dollars no.With this short letter I would just like to get up and running on the DR1 Forum and would be gratfull for any feedback.
Regards Lenney.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
plenegan said:
This post is to anyone who can advise us.Me and the missis have visited the DR on numerous occasions ( and here it is folks we are thinking of moving out there )First off I would like to say we are not a couple of kids with our heads in the clouds.We are just looking for some sound honest advise that would help us in any way.I suppose the main one to ask would be how much money we would need.We have a house to sell and we have some money saved so we wouldnt be coming out destitute nor would we be arriving millonaires. PESO millonaires yes Dollars no.With this short letter I would just like to get up and running on the DR1 Forum and would be gratfull for any feedback.
Regards Lenney.
If you were my Sister, this is the advice I would give you.
Place your money somewhere safe, gathering a bit of interest, come down, rent for at least 6 months, travel the country, determine the ideal spot for you and whether this is the ideal slice of paradie you are looking for, then, and only then should you start to make arrangements for a permanent move.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How much money? What does it cost to live in the USA?
Get my point, impossible question answer.

All depends on your lifestyle, what type of house you want, car, location, staff, savings, etc etc etc.

I would spend a day or so reading EVERYTHING in these forums related to living in the DR, then come back with specific questions. That way you will get specific answers.

The people on this site are the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic.
Use it right and it will save you thousands of $$$ and many hours.

plenegan

Aug 20, 2004
How much money

Robert said:
How much money? What does it cost to live in the USA?
Get my point, impossible question answer.

All depends on your lifestyle, what type of house you want, car, location, staff, savings, etc etc etc.

I would spend a day or so reading EVERYTHING in these forums related to living in the DR, then come back with specific questions. That way you will get specific answers.

The people on this site are the largest pool of knowledge on the Dominican Republic.
Use it right and it will save you thousands of $$$ and many hours.

Thanks for the prompt reply Robert.As regarding how much money it would be in the region of 200 000 dollars US.Also we are not looking at housmaids or anything like that.We just want a crack at something that is hopefully going to lead to a better life because if I am honest I need to make the move out of the UK as soon as poss before they find a way of taxing something we have not sold yet.i.e the house.
Hope this helps. .

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
plenegan said:
Thanks for the prompt reply Robert.As regarding how much money it would be in the region of 200 000 dollars US.Also we are not looking at housmaids or anything like that.We just want a crack at something that is hopefully going to lead to a better life because if I am honest I need to make the move out of the UK as soon as poss before they find a way of taxing something we have not sold yet.i.e the house.
Hope this helps. .

You worried about Capital Gains?? Why not have the proceeds sent to your solicitor & get him to transfer it off-shore (isle of Man/Jersey etc) rather than having it sent to your bank account?

By the way, having been away from UK for 12 years now, what is rate of Capital Gains there? Might need to do some consolidating ourselves very soon!! - Grahame.