Back From SD, No fun At All!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I just got back from my 11 days in SD and after a few months of going crazy trying to open a little business, all of Amber's hard work paid off. We were able to open our little english institute in El Conde and she was to start teaching today.

As soon as I arrived, I knew that it was going to be a very problematic "vacation". Now, more than ever, I know the definition of "do not believe a person when they tell you that something will be done in a speficic day". All started with the person that was supposed to have the chairs (pupitres) ready 2 weeks prior. He finished a few days after the institute was supposed to be opened so we had to open a week later.
The books were supposed to be ready at a certain time and they were not done. Not only that they were not done but the book maker took it upon himself to have the books made in 2 different covers without consulting us.
The room that we rented was not cleaned even thought we told the renters to have it ready 3 weeks prior.

From morning until the night, it was work, work and more work. Schit, I only drank about 1 presidente per day. I had no fun at all. I became engaged to the hardware stores. I went to buy at Hache so many times that they already knew me by my first, middle and last name.

I am not even going to say anything about the darn traffic!!!!!!!.

At least we took a little time to take the kids to the movies and we went once to Plaza Espana and see the Flamenco dancers. Other than that, all our time was dedicated to our little venture. Because of her hard work, all is off and running. We are keeping our fingers crossed and we pray to God that all goes well.

Ps: AZB, thanks for the nice conversation and I am sorry that I could not call you again.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
That report describes my whole life...........:) :)

Anyway, hope everything goes alright and that your next trip isn't so full of those kind of suprises.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Such good news, despite the difficulties.

Wishing this new venture the best of luck, and if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. As long as it does not involve teaching English which I try to avoid at all costs. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing Amber when I get back to SD.

Chiri

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
miguel said:
I just got back from my 11 days in SD and after a few months of going crazy trying to open a little business, all of Amber's hard work paid off. We were able to open our little english institute in El Conde and she was to start teaching today.

Hey Miguel,

Having opened a small business myself I know what you had to go through. But you probably had 10 times more work because you were in the DR. At least you are up and running, now Amber can tackle issues as they happen and one day at a time. Next trip will be a litttle easier and more fun. Glad to hear the business is open. Good luck.

Bob H.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
That is a noble business - I hope it takes off.

I gather for now it has 1 teacher - how many students are there? how old are they? Is it for adults looking to learn English or is it full time for children?

Good luck!!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Best Wishes

Best wishes my friend. Nice to see that you did a little work for a change.
Charlie

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Congrat's & Good Luck (as well as LOTS of patience!)

Having taught a few English classes myself I know it can be a real challenge.
Hope Amber has more patience than I (also her command of Spanish will be a big help!!)
Hope to see you when we get back and we'll definitely drop in on El Conde (where exactly is it on El Conde BTW?).

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Miguel,

Your trip sounds wonderful to me. Very successful and I consider it a completed business venture. As the saying goes : you reap what you sow. Therefore, you will soon see the fruits of your labor. I think it's great that you are contributing to the future success of the Dominican community in some way via education although you are in the USA. Be proud of that!

-Lesley D

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Gracias Chiri and tired boy!!

Chirimoya said:
Such good news, despite the difficulties.

Wishing this new venture the best of luck, and if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. As long as it does not involve teaching English which I try to avoid at all costs. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing Amber when I get back to SD.

Chiri
Chiri, thanks for the wishes. She was wondering about you and I will send you a pm with the address and phone # so you can go and visit her. How about teaching French?, hehe.

tired_boy, if that describes your whole life, I feel for you. May God hear you and I hope that my next trip is, at least, less hestic. I really do not have a problem with all that was done, I have more of a problem with all those "oh, yes, I will do it way before the institute opens" types. Well, all is done and now let's see what happens.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Thanks!!

appleman said:
Hey Miguel,

Having opened a small business myself I know what you had to go through. But you probably had 10 times more work because you were in the DR. At least you are up and running, now Amber can tackle issues as they happen and one day at a time. Next trip will be a litttle easier and more fun. Glad to hear the business is open. Good luck.

Bob H.
appleman, to be honest with you, althought it was, maybe, 10 times more work for me, I was there for only 11 days. Amber was and is the one that deserves all the credit. I really do not know how she does it. She has so much energy and patience with dealing with so many inepts and "no words" people. I guess that she is used to it. Thanks.

Chris_NJ, so far, we only have 1 teacher but she will be interviewing soon. As of now, there are only a few students but everything takes time to pick up. It's only for adults. Thanks for the wishes.

Anna, thanks.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ojala!!

Lesley D said:
Miguel,

Your trip sounds wonderful to me. Very successful and I consider it a completed business venture. As the saying goes : you reap what you sow. Therefore, you will soon see the fruits of your labor. I think it's great that you are contributing to the future success of the Dominican community in some way via education although you are in the USA. Be proud of that!

-Lesley D
Thanks Lesley and may God hear you.
Thanks old fart, Charlie. Also to you, MommC.