Help me find out all about Beer

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm researching an article about Dominican beer culture and wondered if anyone here could help me with a couple of points:

1 - What is the perfect temperature for a beer to qualify as 'bien fria'?

2 - I can think of several popular terms for describing the temperature of beer like en el punto, fria, grande, pequena, ceniza and vestida de novia - are there any others?

Thanks in advance!

Chiri

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Grande and pequenas refer to the size of the bottle when asking at a colmado - the 16 oz ( or 12 or however small they make it now) vs the 24 or 32 oz bottle. There is even a pequena pequena, sort of a little 1/2 bottle version of the pequena, that helped keep the small bottles affordable in pesos.

NB: if they keep it too cold it won't freeze while under pressure and will immediately freeze when opened since the pressure in the bottle lowers the freezing point (the same way the radiator in the car does) . That's too cold.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Rick. Grande and peque?a slipped into that list by accident. I was asking specifically about temperature but also welcome other beer-related Dominicanisms. I think the new smaller one is a peque?ita or something on those lines.

Chiri

PS is cutting and pasting from word the only way to get e?es into posts?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Does anyone else call them cervezuanas?

Chiri:

? - Alt 160
? - Alt 130
? - Alt 161
? - Alt 162
? - Alt 163
? - Alt 129

? - Alt 164
? - Alt 165

? - Alt 173
? - Alt 168

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Does anyone else call them cervezuanas?

Never heard that one!

Chiri:

? - Alt 160
? - Alt 130
? - Alt 161
? - Alt 162
? - Alt 163
? - Alt 129

? - Alt 164
? - Alt 165

? - Alt 173
? - Alt 168

That's great, Jane. I'll print it out and stick it on the side of my screen when I get home, which, with any luck will be in the next few days!

Chiri

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
For me, it?s more about how they look, than the actual temperature reading.

Perfect: A very thin layer of white frost and a bottle that you need to let sit for a few moments or stroke the neck so it doesn?t freeze after uncapping.

Name: The Wedding Dress (vestida de novia).

Or...

The "D.D. special". Very rare bread of cold beer and only found on a farm in the NW of the country. A few members of the board have had the pleasure of sampling this rare breed :)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Thanks Rick. Grande and peque?a slipped into that list by accident. I was asking specifically about temperature but also welcome other beer-related Dominicanisms. I think the new smaller one is a peque?ita or something on those lines.

Chiri

PS is cutting and pasting from word the only way to get e?es into posts?

Install the Microsoft Virtual Keyboard (free download) and add Spanish language support to your language choice under keyboard options and you can have a little keyboard on screen ( about 2 by 1 inches) whenever you want and add various accented characters. Frankly here pequena is understood you meant peque?a.

Or use babel fish and type the words you want and cut them from there, or open a notepad document and add the accented words once and copy and paste as needed for whole word or word parts.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks to you all, I ended up with some bonus information beyond the art of serving the perfect Dominican beer. I've now finished the article and with any luck won't have made too many blunders.

?Salud!

Chiri

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My perspective as a brewer:

There is no "perfect" temperature for beer. Beer is a very complex chemical and changes with time, temperature, light exposure, "backwash", Ph, etc. Additionally, temperature of beer has an effect on the different taste sectors of the tongue at different temperatures.

The best thing to do is experiment. LOTS of experimentation... :classic:.