Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Help me find out all about Beer

I'm researching an article about Dominican beer culture and wondered if anyone here could help me with a couple of points:

1 - What is the perfect temperature for a beer to qualify as 'bien fria'?

2 - I can think of several popular terms for describing the temperature of beer like en el punto, fria, grande, pequena, ceniza and vestida de novia - are there any others?

Thanks in advance!

Chiri

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Grande and pequenas refer to the size of the bottle when asking at a colmado - the 16 oz ( or 12 or however small they make it now) vs the 24 or 32 oz bottle. There is even a pequena pequena, sort of a little 1/2 bottle version of the pequena, that helped keep the small bottles affordable in pesos.

NB: if they keep it too cold it won't freeze while under pressure and will immediately freeze when opened since the pressure in the bottle lowers the freezing point (the same way the radiator in the car does) . That's too cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rick. Grande and pequeña slipped into that list by accident. I was asking specifically about temperature but also welcome other beer-related Dominicanisms. I think the new smaller one is a pequeñita or something on those lines.

Chiri

PS is cutting and pasting from word the only way to get eñes into posts?

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else call them cervezuanas?

Chiri:

á - Alt 160
    é - Alt 130
    í - Alt 161
    ó - Alt 162
    ú - Alt 163
    ü - Alt 129

ñ - Alt 164
    Ñ - Alt 165

¡ - Alt 173
    ¿ - Alt 168

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else call them cervezuanas?
    Never heard that one!

Chiri:

á - Alt 160
    é - Alt 130
    í - Alt 161
    ó - Alt 162
    ú - Alt 163
    ü - Alt 129

ñ - Alt 164
    Ñ - Alt 165

¡ - Alt 173
    ¿ - Alt 168
    That's great, Jane. I'll print it out and stick it on the side of my screen when I get home, which, with any luck will be in the next few days!

Chiri

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, it’s more about how they look, than the actual temperature reading.

Perfect: A very thin layer of white frost and a bottle that you need to let sit for a few moments or stroke the neck so it doesn’t freeze after uncapping.

Name: The Wedding Dress (vestida de novia).

Or...

The "D.D. special". Very rare bread of cold beer and only found on a farm in the NW of the country. A few members of the board have had the pleasure of sampling this rare breed

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Robert, its translation is "dressed as a bride."

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya
    Thanks Rick. Grande and pequeña slipped into that list by accident. I was asking specifically about temperature but also welcome other beer-related Dominicanisms. I think the new smaller one is a pequeñita or something on those lines.

Chiri

PS is cutting and pasting from word the only way to get eñes into posts?
    Install the Microsoft Virtual Keyboard (free download) and add Spanish language support to your language choice under keyboard options and you can have a little keyboard on screen ( about 2 by 1 inches) whenever you want and add various accented characters. Frankly here pequena is understood you meant pequeña.

Or use babel fish and type the words you want and cut them from there, or open a notepad document and add the accented words once and copy and paste as needed for whole word or word parts.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ask the expert

I think you'll find that Ted in Rocky's is the local expert on how best to enjoy a beer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to you all, I ended up with some bonus information beyond the art of serving the perfect Dominican beer. I've now finished the article and with any luck won't have made too many blunders.

¡Salud!

Chiri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast