Weapon Permits

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
I'm an American with Dominican descent; I travel to DR at least once a month. I've noticed on my trips that many folks (locals and tourists) carry sidearms; I want to purchase a Sig Sauer 9mm and also want the carrier's permit. The wave of violance on the island is tremendous, and bottom line, as a veteran of the US military and former law enforcement officer I do not want to become a statistic while vacationing with my family.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can only have a gun or shotgun if you are a citizen or a Permanent Resident of the Dominican Republic.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Kaizen68 said:
I'm an American with Dominican descent; I travel to DR at least once a month. I've noticed on my trips that many folks (locals and tourists) carry sidearms; I want to purchase a Sig Sauer 9mm and also want the carrier's permit. The wave of violance on the island is tremendous, and bottom line, as a veteran of the US military and former law enforcement officer I do not want to become a statistic while vacationing with my family.
Wave of violence? Man I must have missed it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Escott said:

Me too!

The Dominicans around me are shaking their heads and have no idea what your talking about.
Can you be more specific?

I have never seen a tourist carrying a gun and I bet nobody that lives here has seen a tourist carrying a gun.

You sound like your posting on behalf of the St.Barts tourist board.

Article: In Pursuit of Fabulousness

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Escott said:

Scott, he's probably talking about Santo Domingo. Everybody there carries a gun there especially evening/night.

pescador

Apr 19, 2004
I know what you're talking about.
I know 2 people of the few i know there that have already been robbed, one was put in the hospital after having his face kicked in, the other almost got stuck with a knife because he didn't have any money to give them. He talked them into just taking his back pack with his art work in it.
Anyone who says there's no violence in the DR, especially in S.D....sheetman, wake up. There's a reason all the appartments look like bird cages and some have a guy with a shotgun standing out front.

I don't know what the law is now. USed to be, a tourist could get a permit to carry by going into the police office at the airport, You had to do some paper work and I think a written test. (This is what was passed on to me, not first hand stuff). They would issue you a permit and you buy your sidearm there in country. Expect to pay a premium $$$, not like the current 230 dollar 1911 45's we got here
Best bet is to contact the Domican consulate for the latest. Get it all in writing or a copy of the law. Maybe even have to pay an "unofficial tax" of some sort at the airport. Corruption of officials is way up also. (no, not telling you to offer a bribe, but most likely they may ask you for one.)
Also if you plan to bring it back into the US, I would besure to contact the BATF to get thier paper work filled out. Don't plan on bringing any "High capacity" magazines back with it (over 10 round capacity) as that would be illigal, or a real hassel to prove it was manufactured before the high cap law was passed (Pre-ban).

Good luck!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
pescador said:
Anyone who says there's no violence in the DR, especially in S.D....sheetman, wake up.

Nobody said SD doesn't have crime, every city on the planet has crime.
I'm sure the city you live in has a higher per-capita crime rate than SD.
I'm challaging the words "crime wave", which is completly false and very misleading.

pescador said:
There's a reason all the appartments look like bird cages and some have a guy with a shotgun standing out front.

The reason is?

Good luck trying to get a "dodgy" gun permit at the airport, they do not issue gun permits at the airport :)

You need to be a permanent resident and you need to apply per firearm.
You will need to go to the main police station for a drug test and psychiatric exam. Not sure of the cost.

My bet is Leonel will tighten the law even more now.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Are Two Ways To Get Into Trouble With The Police In SD

Number ONE is to have anything whatsoever to do with drugs.Number TWO is to have an unregistered firearm,or to shoot anyone with a gun,registered or not! My nextdoor neighbor is a colonel in the "Policia National",he said that shooting someone is a bad idea.You WILL go to jail while the investigation is carried out.
Most foreigners,better make that ALL,want to 'carry' as a "macho" vanity thing,not for personal protection.By mentioning the brand "Sig Sauer" you have more or less proved that!It's like saying I drive a "HUMMER"!
It doesn't matter if you live on the ocean or not,if you clean and oil your gun,you won't have problems.A 38.Smith & Wesson revolver is probably the best self defense firearm a "novice" should carry.It can't "jam",it is hard to miss-fire.and you can fire it single,or double action.Most "self-defense" situations don't require more than one or two shots,so a 5 or 6 shot revolver is all you need.I have a 12 guage shotgun with a pistol grip.A shotgun scares the **** out of most people who would do you harm,and it should!You shoot someone in the "belly" with a shotgun,you ruin their whole day! It takes no skill to use,and if you are shaking a lot,you Will be!,it really doesn't matter that much!
I really feel a lot safer in Santo Domingo than I do in most large US cities.I used to carry when I was in my 20s and 30s,but it seemed to get me into situations,and locations where I shouldn't be in the first place.It's kind of like having a motorcycle,I really would love to,but I am still to immature to do it!
If I carried in the DR,I would be in jail within 24 hours! I would shoot several people a day,just for the way they drive!
If you really want to look "Cool",use a body guard.He can catch a few rounds,while you duck out the side door!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Criss Colon said:
If you really want to look "Cool",use a body guard.He can catch a few rounds,while you duck out the side door!
I'm still laughing.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Robert said:
Me too!

The Dominicans around me are shaking their heads and have no idea what your talking about.
Can you be more specific?

I have never seen a tourist carrying a gun and I bet nobody that lives here has seen a tourist carrying a gun.

You sound like your posting on behalf of the St.Barts tourist board.

Article: In Pursuit of Fabulousness
Perhaps you should come to Santo Domingo, away from your reclusive shack, spend a week or two, visit a local hospital (may I suggest Moscoso Puello?), interact with local people from the poor neighborhoods ask them to relate to you their encounters with thugs, thieves, muggers and the likes.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
pescador said:
I know what you're talking about.
I know 2 people of the few i know there that have already been robbed, one was put in the hospital after having his face kicked in, the other almost got stuck with a knife because he didn't have any money to give them. He talked them into just taking his back pack with his art work in it.
Anyone who says there's no violence in the DR, especially in S.D....sheetman, wake up. There's a reason all the appartments look like bird cages and some have a guy with a shotgun standing out front.

I don't know what the law is now. USed to be, a tourist could get a permit to carry by going into the police office at the airport, You had to do some paper work and I think a written test. (This is what was passed on to me, not first hand stuff). They would issue you a permit and you buy your sidearm there in country. Expect to pay a premium $$$, not like the current 230 dollar 1911 45's we got here
Best bet is to contact the Domican consulate for the latest. Get it all in writing or a copy of the law. Maybe even have to pay an "unofficial tax" of some sort at the airport. Corruption of officials is way up also. (no, not telling you to offer a bribe, but most likely they may ask you for one.)
Also if you plan to bring it back into the US, I would besure to contact the BATF to get thier paper work filled out. Don't plan on bringing any "High capacity" magazines back with it (over 10 round capacity) as that would be illigal, or a real hassel to prove it was manufactured before the high cap law was passed (Pre-ban).

Good luck!!
Thanks a bunch...!

From my understanding, being the son of Dominican immigrants, I posses dual nationality, or has the law changed?(again?) I would have to get my cedula issued and pay the necessary fees to purchase the weapon and the permit(s). Lord knows, no bribes will be made, however I will pay the needed "expedite" fees if applicable...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Kaizen68 said:
Perhaps you should come to Santo Domingo, away from your reclusive shack, spend a week or two, visit a local hospital (may I suggest Moscoso Puello?), interact with local people from the poor neighborhoods ask them to relate to you their encounters with thugs, thieves, muggers and the likes.

Unlike some, I actually live and work in Santo Domingo.
I don't live in a casuacha in Capotillo, I like to think of it as more of an apartment in Julieta.

Kaizen68, when your next in Santo Domingo I'll introduce you to some real tigueres.

Next....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A friendly policeman offered me once a used gun for sale. It was a 9 mm pistol. He argued that it was better to have an unregistered gun because once registered the police had me in their data base, and if there was ever any shooting trouble around the neighborhood, I would be one of their main suspects. I asked him if the gun was stolen. He ackowledge it was, and then he added I could destroy the serial number with a file. I said thanks but no thanks, and sent him on his way.

Mirador

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Eddy said:
Scott, he's probably talking about Santo Domingo. Everybody there carries a gun there especially evening/night.

Blah Blah Blah! many people have guns which must likely will never use.

and by the way guys have you seen the new TV advertisement about guns control?

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
gun control

:p
ERICKXSON said:
Blah Blah Blah! many people have guns which must likely will never use.

and by the way guys have you seen the new TV advertisement about guns control?
"GUN CONTROL" is when you can shoot 17rounds from one single clip and have a shot group no bigger than a cinco peso coin...that my friend is gun control :p

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
windeguy said:
Chris made some good points. A well oiled gun is a good thing, stainless or otherwise. A small revolver is better than a semi-automatic pistol. Shooting someone will get you into jail while the situation is sorted out. A shotgun is by far the best self defense.

Why do you feel a "A small revolver is better than a semi-automatic pistol. "

Just curious as almost every Law Enforcement agency and Military worlwide have switced to pistol's, something they are not aware of?

A>

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That is EASY to answer!

Police,and military are often in situations where you have sustained fire,against multiple adversaries!They are well trained in the use of firearms tactics in pressure situations,unlike the "Cowboys" who want to walk around Santo Domingo with their "Penis" stuck in their waistband!They practice regularly,and know how to maintain their weapons.If their weapon does jam,they won't panic,they will clear it!They usually are not alone,but have others to watch their back!
Is that enough?
Like I said,I am a "Cowboy" at heart,and must surpress the urge to walk around with a pistol in my belt!I try to tell myself I am too mature,but maybe it's because my belt is already on the last notch,and I can't even jam the clip from my cell phone in there!
My Dominican Family is from "Barrio Simon Bolivar",even the Tigres from Capotillo and Cristo Rey won't go there after dark.Forget about a taxi!Rather than a firearm,"Street Smarts" is a better idea here,just like everywhere else.
When I go to Sosua,where I don't know the "lay-Of-The-Land",I stick to the m :rolleyes: ain areas at night,or better still,ride around with Eddy and Escott,they scare everybody!When the "Tigres" see Eddy's jepetta roaring down those narrow streets at 2 am,they dive for cover!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DRshooter

Apr 23, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Police,and military are often in situations where you have sustained fire,against multiple adversaries!They are well trained in the use of firearms tactics in pressure situations,unlike the "Cowboys" who want to walk around Santo Domingo with their "Penis" stuck in their waistband!They practice regularly,and know how to maintain their weapons.If their weapon does jam,they won't panic,they will clear it!They usually are not alone,but have others to watch their back!
Is that enough?
Like I said,I am a "Cowboy" at heart,and must surpress the urge to walk around with a pistol in my belt!I try to tell myself I am too mature,but maybe it's because my belt is already on the last notch,and I can't even jam the clip from my cell phone in there!
My Dominican Family is from "Barrio Simon Bolivar",even the Tigres from Capotillo and Cristo Rey won't go there after dark.Forget about a taxi!Rather than a firearm,"Street Smarts" is a better idea here,just like everywhere else.
When I go to Sosua,where I don't know the "lay-Of-The-Land",I stick to the m :rolleyes: ain areas at night,or better still,ride around with Eddy and Escott,they scare everybody!When the "Tigres" see Eddy's jepetta roaring down those narrow streets at 2 am,they dive for cover!!!!

I think that if you are proficient with a pistol, it is a lot better than a revolver. Remember that you never know what situation you will see yourself in. If you carry, why not be prepared for the "worst case senario" If you are under pressure, 5-6 shots might not be enough. If you choose to engage in gunplay, running out of ammo is not good.
If you can't practice, then don't carry.
And don't be a macho prick... carry concealed all the time.. don't show off your iron... it's a recepie for disaster.
My 2 cents..

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
Are the streets really that dangerous?

I might be naive or lucky... But can anybody here please give me a clear example of dangerous situations one get into just by beeing out in the street (day or night) minding one's own business?

I understand that there are many people who look dangerous. But looks and real action are different things. I've been to many places with a bad reputation, but never encountered any real trouble aimed at me. Aimed at others yes, but not at me.

So... Please enlighten the naive soul...

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
How long has it been

Criss Colon said:
Is that enough?

Since you handled "modern" firearms?

A Glock, Beretta 9mm etc is as unlikely to jam as a revolver is to have a chamber misalignment

You are talking about semi autos from the 40's and fifty's