You read it here first

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't click here unless you want to hear the next episode in the Chiri exile saga. :cool:

Because I had such a helpful response to my recent thread 'Chiri contemplating exile' and the one in the Airline forum, I decided to share this with you here first.

This morning I received an e-mail from my husband who thinks it would be OK for us to re-join him in santo Domingo now that the power problems have eased. I just got off the phone with my travel agent here and I have changed my booking (originally made for Sept 21) to Friday 3 September. This means - barring any unexpected developments - that I will be back home in just over a week's time. It gives me enough time to get the Marmite in and make other essential preparations.

Chirimoyito will not make it for the first day of school on Wednesday, which is disappointing. He will start the following Monday - just about the next best thing.

In the end I decided to opt for the one-way ticket with Air Europa because there was no cheaper option. I am bracing myself for that early morning start - we have to leave for the airport at 4:30 am.

I'll be seeing some of you soon in Santo Domingo and elsewhere.

Thanks again for all the support and advice. It has helped me get through a tricky few weeks.

Chiri :D :D :D

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chirimoya said:
This morning I received an e-mail from my husband who thinks it would be OK for us to re-join him in santo Domingo now that the power problems have eased.

Vamos a ver. Last week our condo averaged 15 hours of generator operation a day; this past weekend only 7 hours total for the two days; Monday 10 hours; yesterday 19.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Pib said:
Where did I put the red carpet? And does anyone know the number of La Banda de M?sica del Ayuntamiento?

The way Chiri must be feeling right now she is probably bringing the Gib's finest band with her to play Pomp & Circumstance on arrival!! Way to go girl & a BIG welcome home!!!

Puerto Plata awaits your esteemed visit!! - Grahame

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lambada said:
? = Alt 156, but you won't need that any more now you're coming home!

I came back to this thread to print out the ? which is absent from my Dominican keyboard to add to the very useful list from the beer thread.

Update - we arrived safely, the trip was long and tedious but all went well. I flew Air Europa on a one-way ticket and the service was miles better than Iberia which seems to have being 'antipatico/a' as an essential requirement for staff there.

The main thing is, I am happy to be back, Chirimoyito went to his new school for the first time this morning, the power cuts are still there but nothing we can't handle. Now for that hurricane. :paranoid:

High up on my list is a trip up north to meet new friends and re-visit old ones. I'm really looking forward to that, and to going back to Samana for the first time in about a year.

On an unrelated note, I've decided to give up signing my posts. I realised soon after I started posting that it was pointless and silly, but somehow the habit stuck. :ermm:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
On an unrelated note, I've decided to give up signing my posts. I realised soon after I started posting that it was pointless and silly, but somehow the habit stuck. :ermm:
Did they smack you over the head with a clue-by-four on that other forum, huh? :classic: Somebody is always complaining about people who sign their posts.

And welcome, the members of the Dominican Chapter of the Lunch Research Foundation missed you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Did they smack you over the head with a clue-by-four on that other forum, huh? Somebody is always complaining about people who sign their posts.

Lucky for me, I started off on the right foot there and never signed my posts so I was spared the medieval torture. DR1ers may go ballistic at the mere mention of 'the Dominican' and other gaffes, but they are a fluffy and gentle bunch in most ways. :rolleyes:

And welcome, the members of the Dominican Chapter of the Lunch Research Foundation missed you.

Thanks. We can resume proceedings tomorrow if all goes well.

err... that's it. :classic:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome home!

Glad you made it back ok, but "fluffy & gentle"??? You've been away too long! They seem to have instituted some sort of warning system here now, so obviously not everyone thinks everyone is fluffy & gentle...........or perhaps it is an attempt to get us back into gymslips & black stockings. I can remember St. Trinians' well! :D