southwest of SDQ

beano

Oct 29, 2003
Hello,
It has been quite a while since I last posted. I am considering a quick trip sometime in Sept, since tickets are so cheap from the DC area. $260 RT w/taxes included! Anyways, since my past 5 visits have been to the north coast, I was considering the southwestern part of the DR, also saving me the bus ride to Sosua. Is it worthwhile to rent a small motorcycle in SDO and travel southwest towards Baharona and Pedernales? Are the beaches worth visiting? Does it have the same type of feel as the north. I will try to refine my question soon. thanks, sean

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Small motorcycle out in the boonies? Might as well just stand in the middle of 27 de Febrero with a "Kill Me" sign on your chest.

In short, do not recommend it. In a car would be safer but it's still pretty much boony land... but it's beautiful and definately a must see.

beano

Oct 29, 2003
I appreciate the short answer, but I would like to know more about the area. I am just looking for something closer to SDQ than to Caribe bus to POP to rent a moto in Cabarete. Is there nothing for the solo adventurer in the Southwest area. I've looked through the LP book, but there isn't a whole lot written. Does that mean there isn't a whole lot there? And, I was thinking about renting a Suzuki DR400 Dual Sport bike, certainly capable of handling the terrain, as I ride here at home. thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The south west is not touristy but there is a lot to see there. It is different from the north in many ways. The landscape is semi-arid (I love it but it is not everyone's cup of tea), the area is remote and the people are amongst the poorest in the country. The beaches are not a reason in itself to go there, but by no means unpleasant. There are also some fresh water swimming places inland.

Some of the smaller towns like Cabral, Descubierta and Paraiso are made up mainly of colourful Caribbean wooden houses. It is certainly an interesting area from the natural history point of view, as well as the lake with its crocodiles and iguanas I know that the ornithological groups organise trips to the area.

Try searching the forums for posters' experiences. Robert and Escott visited several months ago and posted this trip report but there should be more.

Search on Lake Enriquillo, Polo Magnetico, Barahona, Pedernales and you will get much more information.

Can't help with the motorbike question, sorry.

Chiri

beano

Oct 29, 2003
Thanks. That's the type of responses that I had hoped for. I was just looking for something closer to SDQ without wasting a couple of days bussing to the north coast. I don't really care a lot about the nightlife. I would just as soon sit outside of a colmado and drink beer with the locals. What about southeast of SDQ. What about a ride east of BC and up through SFM to ferry over to Samana? Is this way too much for a week?