Edenorte

Armina

Aug 12, 2003
I have a house in Puerto Plata, have had one for many years. I have been receiving my Edenorte electric bill via email and paying it via an American credit card whether I am in Puerto Plata or in the U.S. Have been doing this for about 7 years. It has all worked beautifully until today. I received my bill alright but when I called to pay by credit card The gent at Edenorte could not put it through, would not accept International Credit Cards he said. (Tried twice, with two different people) I called the Visa company, they said that they do not show anyone trying to put anything through, and they did not have a problem with accepting the charge, which means that it is a Dominican issue.
Anyone pay as I do? Any suggestions on who to call or whatever else I might try to do. Am in the US now, and will not get to Puerto Plata until late October.
Armina

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
JD,
I receive my EdeNorte bill by e-mail every month (which I store awaiting their screw up at some future stage) AND I receive a reminder topay if I haven't got in & done so 3 days before date expires!! NO Problem about getting it sent via e-mail to you IF someone is prepared to organise themselves at EdeNorte!!

Silly question to some, maybe, But Is the electricity bill in YOUR name or did you take over the account of someone else?? This COULD coarse a problem for EdeNorte I suppose & it therefor MIGHT be necessary for you to set up a NEW account in YOUR name so as to allow for e-mail receipt of monthly bill!!

Armina
When I am feeling extremely lazy or anti standing in line at EdeNorte in Puerto Plata for 1/2 hour or so (or when I have forgotten & need to pay quickly) I use my Visa card. I did that just last Monday & there was No problem at all. Did you quote to the men concerned the new "Bank" number as quoted on the reverse of your credit card?? I had this problem for the June bill when I paid it in July. The first 'swipe' got it rejected & when I queeried the reason up to supervisor level (I HATE being told my credit is bad & will fight it all the way up!!), I found that the person taking the details had neglected to ask me for the additional number as quoted on the reverse of the card (just above your signature!! This is a NEW requirement for my recently replaced credit card & may NOT be applicable to you if you have the older version card!

To BOTH,
I have just come off the 'phone to EdeNorte here in Puerto Plata where I was trying to get an e-Mail address for you to write to - No Such LUCK!!! However, after explaining the facts as you presented them, outlining what I thought the problems might be & using only your usernames, I got agreement from a Manuel Baez for you to ring him on 261 1844 & he would do his best to sort out the problems. Have your latest bill to hand when you call him as he will ask you for your NIC number (right hand side next to your name 1/4 way down!!). You can quote my proper name to him (BUSH) as I passed on this to him saying you might use it as a referal if you 'phoned! Good Luck!!

By the way, once you have set up the payments/receipt of e-mail notification as appropriate, you might find paying by banking on line is also a possible way of paying your monthly invoice from them - just a thought, if you have that facility with your banks!!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Armina said:
I have a house in Puerto Plata, have had one for many years. I have been receiving my Edenorte electric bill via email and paying it via an American credit card whether I am in Puerto Plata or in the U.S. Have been doing this for about 7 years. It has all worked beautifully until today. I received my bill alright but when I called to pay by credit card The gent at Edenorte could not put it through, would not accept International Credit Cards he said. (Tried twice, with two different people) I called the Visa company, they said that they do not show anyone trying to put anything through, and they did not have a problem with accepting the charge, which means that it is a Dominican issue.
Anyone pay as I do? Any suggestions on who to call or whatever else I might try to do. Am in the US now, and will not get to Puerto Plata until late October.
Armina

My GF paid our electric bill 2 days ago using our Mastercard (U.S. creditcard from U.S. bank) over the phone and had no problems.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
POP Electric

Great assist on the play scored to Graham Bush!
Great work! I too get my get business my bill via Email from Edenorte.
With the casa on Puerto Plata Electric we have to journey to the
power plant across from Playa Dorada to pay. Of course the tradeoff
is we're had two 10 minute outages the past month! Sorry to rub in it,
but I sense improvement of the situation all the way around.

Armina

Aug 12, 2003
Thank you! I will call Manuel Baez in the morning. That must be a POP number, I usually call Santo Domingo 683-9393. What a good idea to pay via Bank online, hadn't ever thought about that, will call my Bank and see if I can clear that with them. Probably need an address then for Edenorte, the Calle Beller 74 should be OK I think?
That would mean I could pay my phone bills via Bank online also. Codetel or Verizon whichever they call themselves now have never accepted my credit card over the phone, they do in their office. Crazy eh!
And! by the new Bank no. do you mean tel. no.? Because that I did not do, I did not give him the Bank tel no's at the back. I used those no's to call the Bank when verifying whether they refused credit. The Edenorte guy did ask me for the 3 digit no. following the credit card no. that I did give him. I have a fairly new card.
Wish me luck!
Armina

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Armina.
that 3 digit no. WAS the one they really needed - I think that indicates which bank you use & it is the one which (generally) allows the process to be completed. The WHOLE number on the reverse of the card is your usual Visa No. as shown on the front PLUS a 3 digit No. after it. If you didn't pass that over, that is why your card was not accepted.

Re paying by banking on line, it is not Verizon/Codetel/EdeNorte you need to have address details about so much as their Bank Account Numbers, addressess. Hopefully Manuel will give you those details on the 'phone tomorrow. YES, it IS Puerto Plata office - address is on your bill & Tel. No is on the reverse (along with the in country free 'phone Number for enquiries!!). - Grahame.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Similar situation!

Armina said:
Armina
I believe that it's more of a dominican "lazy" thing. I believe that they just hit a button and if their machine does not takes it, they immediately tell you that something is wrong with your card. I had a similar situation with my dominican-issued visa card a few years ago. I was paying a cable bill and this "smarty pants" was even arguing with me and telling me that I had no money on my debit card. After telling him that I had paid the same bill for years without any problems, he called about 10 different people and they all told me the same thing; "it's not our problem, it's your card". The manager went as far as to tell me that I was trying to steal from them because I was trying to pay with a card that had no money on it. I was so mad that I went to the ATM machine next door and printed a balance and took it to him. After telling him: "see, I do have some cheles to pay this bill and to pay for the same bill for the next 100 years", he tried harder and all of a sudden the card was accepted. Some are just lazy and do not want to try anything different. Talk to the manager ( if he knows anything) and tell him that you have paid the same way for 7 years. Good luck!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As for the bill being under another name, you should have any problem receiving a copy by email. I used to receive my boss' and mine (which is not under my name either). With the copy you can pay in one of many commercial banks and that way you don't have to waste time fighting over the phone...