price quotes in DR$

mike775103

Aug 25, 2004
I am a new user and am about to go on my first DR trip. I've been reading lots of good stuff on how much to expect to pay for things like taxis and busses. I am confused about the amounts when they say something like "DR$ 200 from the airport to the center of town". I'm pretty sure they don't mean $200 US for a taxi ride. Do they mean pesos or is there some kind of larger denomination of pesos called a Dominican republic Dollar?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RD$ stands for Dominican pesos. US$ stands for American dollars

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
mike775103 said:
I am a new user and am about to go on my first DR trip. I've been reading lots of good stuff on how much to expect to pay for things like taxis and busses. I am confused about the amounts when they say something like "DR$ 200 from the airport to the center of town". I'm pretty sure they don't mean $200 US for a taxi ride. Do they mean pesos or is there some kind of larger denomination of pesos called a Dominican republic Dollar?

Welcome to DR1 mike,

Check out this thread for 'up to date' exchange rates in the DR - http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26541&page=48&pp=15

Will it be your first time to the DR? Where are you going to be staying? Where are you coming from?

tired_boy :)

mike775103

Aug 25, 2004
I am looking into several places in Sosua. I also have the option of a time share trade for an AI in Playa Dorada, but a friend who goes to DR every year for many years says to avoid them as not having the opportunity to experience the real DR and its people.
I am coming from Minnesota for a first time scuba trip to DR.
Thanks for the link to the exchange rates. I have looked at several supposedly official web sites for tourist exchange rates and they differ wildly. The US Treasury site hasn't been updated since June 30 so it is worthless.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Mike,

mike775103 said:
I am looking into several places in Sosua. I also have the option of a time share trade for an AI in Playa Dorada, but a friend who goes to DR every year for many years says to avoid them as not having the opportunity to experience the real DR and its people.
I am coming from Minnesota for a first time scuba trip to DR.
Thanks for the link to the exchange rates. I have looked at several supposedly official web sites for tourist exchange rates and they differ wildly. The US Treasury site hasn't been updated since June 30 so it is worthless.[/QUOT]

I sent you a PM