Punta Cana - Local Knowledge appreciated

atp

Aug 26, 2004
Hi,

We're two girls (26 and 30) from London travelling on an All Inclusive to Natura Park Eco Resort in Punta Cana early September - so only a couple of weeks left.

This was a last minute booking and neither of us have ever really done the All Inclusive thing (yet alone been to the Caribbean) - but looking forward to a chilled fun time. However we do want to hit some of the LOCAL spots - bars, clubs or restaurants. We are only there for a week so not really keen to do any long city excursions as we are keen on doing as much watersports as possible.

Can anyone recommend any good bars/clubs and/or restaurants near the hotel or with reasonable taxi fare to reach - I Lurve seafood and have heard of place called Captain Cook's and another called Jellyfish - are these the restaurants that local seafood lovrs would go to? DO you know any better ones? Are they expensive?

Also - if anyone has information or tips on anything for our break - e.g. the hotel, excursions etc - I would be most grateful.

:)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I can definately recommend Jellyfish and Captain Cook. Preferred Jellyfish because the service is better and it's quite romantic, located about 50 meters from the sea (cost us US$40). Captain Cook is a bit cheaper and you get to sit directly on the beach so that's really special. You can go by car, it's about 15 minutes away but if I'm not mistaken there's also a water taxi. Never been on it but I know some posters have used it.

Natura Park is a bit isolated from local bars/clubs since it's down a 7km road with several hotels on the end. But 15 minutes away is Bavaro with a good selection and in the other direction is Pueblo Punta Cana that has a few restaurants, bowling alley and pool tables. Couldn't say how much taxis cost since my bf has a truck but make sure you negotiate the rate at the hotel before leaving.

Enjoy!!!

atp

Aug 26, 2004
Thanks..

Thanks so much Kate - can't wait for the seafood - pity the hotel/resort is so far away from the local scene. Only there for a week so I guess will have to just keep to the tourist route... aaahhh well at least I'll have my lobster!!! :classic:

susie x

Jan 17, 2004
punta cana

You could do an excursion to Saona Island - you can book this through your hotel rep, you go by catamaran to a 'deserted' island stop halfway for some snorkelling and music and dancing on the way there and back and catch some sun rays too. Avoid going first couple of days there though cos of sunburn.

There are some clubs you can visit in Bavaro, Mangu disco and Arieto (maybe Areito,) you can get a taxi to the door I visited both earlier this year.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Oh boy, you girls are gonna a great time, enjoy your stay, best wishes.