Digital Cameras

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I want to step up to the new 8 megapixel cameras. I was looking at the Nikon 8700 and was wondering if the PhotoGuru's had any comments to make regarding my choice and possibly where in the world to buy one for less money.

There is a ton of Grey market stuff out there and fighting the chaff on the internet is difficult to say the least.

Scott

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
not a guru per se

Don't go there. You don't need even a 3 megapixel camera if you're not going to be doing photoshoots for making banners or printing on magazines. For your own enlightenment, the higher the megapixel, the Bigger and more detailed you can print your images, thus, read line 2 again. 2 or 3 mpixel cam is enough normal picture taking.

Jun 28, 2004
how come then .....

the pics in the non-commercial blog that franco has posted are so excellent?
i can guarantee my 2 mp panasonic could not provide those.

he's using an 8 mp canon (on sale @ walmart right now for 900 bucks us)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Nikon uses its own special rechargable battery which can cost as much as 40 - 60 dollars. If the damn battery discharges, you would have to charge it up or dish out another 40-60 bucks to get extra. I would use a digital camera that uses Ni-metel hydride batteries that can be charged seperately and installed when the existing batteries discarge. The AA ni-metal hydride batteris have really come down in prices (ex: mirocenter or other computer stores). these batteries are Hi current output and can be charged in less than an hour (fast charge batteries). You can take several with you when you are traveling.
note: Before you board the plane, make sure you pack your extra batteries in your suitcase which will be checked in. They only allow batteries that are inside the camera to go through, the extra will be confiscated.
Good luck.
By the way, you don't seen 8 meg pix camera. The one you have is sufficient for your daily use (taking pictures of UBH, hahahaha).
AZB

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Canon

300 pixels per inch is ideal for a sharp photo. The sq. root of 8 mega pixels (8,000,000) is about 2800, divide that by 300 and you get a little over nine inches or the capability of making a sharp 9 X 9 or in photo paper sizes, a sharp 8 X 10.

Scott, go with the Canon EOS SLR's. Their lenses are interchangeable with the regular film cameras too. The Rebel with a lens is about $1000.

But like someone said, if you are only printing 4x6's and stuff for the internet, you don't need one that big.

(I don't work for Canon, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) :classic:

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Escott said:
I want to step up to the new 8 megapixel cameras. I was looking at the Nikon 8700 and was wondering if the PhotoGuru's had any comments to make regarding my choice and possibly where in the world to buy one for less money.

There is a ton of Grey market stuff out there and fighting the chaff on the internet is difficult to say the least.

Scott

Scott it depends on what you want to do with your camera. I've done alot of research on the topic myself. This is the one of the best sources of information I've found.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

For me I ended up with a Nikon N80 35mm film camera, epson scanner and a cheap canon 3 megapixel digital camera.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Camera

Escott said:
possibly where in the world to buy one for less money.

Scott

You could try Plaza Lama, help the DR economy and make this thread DR related all in one go.
You know you can do it!! LOL

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
Escott said:

If you just want to take snapshots for the "family album", then get a compact digital camera without interchangeable lenses. Some device that fits easily in your pocket.

If you are up to great photographs that might be used for large prints in a frame on the wall of your living room or something similar, then you can't avoid to buy a real camera system. Good choices in the semi-professional league are NIKON D100 / D70 or CANON Rebel. But don't save money on the lens, if you go that route. It does not make sense to pay $1000 - $1500 for the camera body and then settle for a cheap zoom lens for $200. Expect to pay about $2000 - $3000 for camera and lens.

It's not only the megapixels. It's the whole system of camera, lens and photographer that makes great photographer. If you don't want to dedicate serious time to it, then stick with a good point-and-shoot digicam and you'll be far more happier and more flexible.

Just $0.02 from a professional :)

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Escott said:

Scott

Canon Digital Rebel is widely held as the best consumer Digital on the market

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
Mega pixels

Scott
Just saw this post,I am off to california here in few minutes but as you know me, I will give you scoop when I get back. have been shooting professionally for 38 years and digitally for five now. We will be back in Sosua this january if you can wait till then i will have my equipment with me. I am currentally using one that is 16 mega pixel, Two thinggs to remeber , more pixels, need more and faster computing power,slower opening files, Need more disc space, MORE , I mean MORRRRRRE "RAM". One can sit and wait along time for big files to open.My system has two gigabite of RAM and some days it is not enough.
And it is not only the amount pixels that matter, it is also how good software and color management that comes with it.
Gotta go for now, Will get back to you On tuesday
Rami

locofoto

Aug 18, 2004
AZB said:
Before you board the plane, make sure you pack your extra batteries in your suitcase which will be checked in. They only allow batteries that are inside the camera to go through, the extra will be confiscated.

Sure? I always travel with my big camera equipment bag and there is a lot of stuff in it. And definitely several extra battery packs. If they ever wanted to confiscate parts of my equipment (pro photographer) I would certainly protest loud and visibly...

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Argo said:
Canon Digital Rebel is widely held as the best consumer Digital on the market

The canon eos digital slr is the cheapest digital slr on the market. In my opinion the Nikon D70 is a better camera for a bit more cash.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
quejeyoke said:
Don't go there. You don't need even a 3 megapixel camera if you're not going to be doing photoshoots for making banners or printing on magazines. For your own enlightenment, the higher the megapixel, the Bigger and more detailed you can print your images, thus, read line 2 again. 2 or 3 mpixel cam is enough normal picture taking.
Thanks a lot but I have a Sony 3.3 MP now and my friend has the 3.2 Nikon but they suck. I want more more more... I am a American after all.

Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ok, guys I finally doped this out and got the Nikon 8700 with a 1 gig Compact Flash that is high (80X) speed. I bought 2 extra 1450 miliamp batteries, a card that will take the Compact flash card into a pcmcia slot on my laptop and of course a camera bag.

I think the card that puts the flash in the PCMCIA slot will take away the bottleneck when moving it to the hard drive. I hope this is the case but does anyone know if this is correct?

I then bought the Table sized large format printer to print large size photos up to 32 ft. Long. I have to scare up some more megapixels now to fill the 32 ft:)

I had already decided on the 8 megapixel camera and on Nikon but was just having trouble buying the bad boy without 50 companies trying to rip me off so I was just looking for advice on purchasing after running into trouble.

I actually ordered it 3 times and cancelled it twice after finding out that they were selling grey market which is not warrenteed nor does it qualify for the 200$ rebate. What a bunch of nasty business people on the internet!

I can't wait to take this to the DR to take my award winning photos! I would have thought that even Paul would have figured that one out:)

Rami, please get back to me when you get back from the left coast! Look forward to seeing you in January.

AZB, the only reason you are getting the projector is to show my picks on it! I don't do the UBH's. Last time I came close to one of them she was with you and that is no lie.

Thanks,
Scott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Conchman said:
You dont' need more than 4 megapixels unless you are printing larger than 8 x 11. It would be simply a waste of money and memory.
When doing work on pictures on a computer and you enlarge the pic on a 3.3 mp camera it is all distorted quickly and you cant even see what it is once blown up. I do plan on printing larger than 8x11 and no less than 11x19 without borders.

Wait till you see my dolphins! LOL

Scott

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
with that type of camera you should be gettting good pix and sipping some blue label and having an upclose and personal conversation with a slab of beefcake instead of spending the extra money you're considering burning on a high powered camera. I think you're shootin pics at 600x480 resolution. Check your setting and turn them up to 1024x768 or 1600 by 1200 and see what's up. If it's not good enough, then get a digital Canon SLR to quench you thirst and happy snapping!...>

Last edited:

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
8 megs..yow..

I use Nikon D1H's at work, and honestly, my little Canon S400 digital elph gives them a run for the money in picture quality. Plus, if I vacation with a work camera, I shoot like I'm working...which means I'm not on vacation. So I use my elph, with it's 4 meg files (that acquires @7.51 megs .. same as my nikons) and get a three minute movie mode.

I am interested that there are so many pro-phos here.. Anyone know the SDQ AP photog Walter Astrada? (i'm assuming that one of you is not him incognito).

Rami

Sep 25, 2003
So you bought one....

Hi Scott,
Just got back last night so this is the soonest I could get back to you.

you made a good choice, I think you will be happy. Now comes the best part,you will need to learn photo editing and color management and make the ink suppliers happy( for your printer). As you have already bought one, the advice what to buy is unneccesary.
When we are back in january, if you want, I can give some lessons in Photoshop if you have it on your computer. I will have my Mac lap top with me. May be we will have to go out on a photo safari?
Enjoy your new toy.
We dont the exact dates at this time but I will be in touch with you to help find a place for four weeks.
Rami