Medical care in the DR

mharshman

Sep 23, 2003
My husband who rcently died, was diagnosed with Leukemia in the DR.
The doctors missed the diagnosis in Sloan Kettering in New York and Sarasota Fla. All saying he was a little anemic.
Due to the awarness of a friend,an Cardiologist from Puerto Plata. who was visiting, and aware of his symptoms, he sent his nurse the following morning for blood to be tested.This turned out to be positive for the disease.
Treatment with Dr Guitterez, an Oncologist, and Dr Lillian Fernandez a Hemotoligist in Santiago, who were superb, began. His treatment and Meds were exactly what should have been done in the US, and if detected earlier,he would have stood a better chance of a longer survival.
MY Point.
Do not believe that because you are in the so called first world, that care and medical treatment is superior. We are only a number there, with all our technology.
I applaud all these people, who allowed him to die at home with dignity and care, with his family and dogs at his side.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mharshman said:
MY Point.
Do not believe that because you are in the so called first world, that care and medical treatment is superior. We are only a number there, with all our technology.

Very sorry about your husband, but I agree with your point.