AZB.....I need your help!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok AZB.....I need some help here!
Mara kindly took a book of recipes written in Hindi to India with her to have translated for me but I need some help with some of the ingredients.
If you could , would you please tell me what exactly these things are?
Ladyfingers - ( okra ) aka :bhindi
Drumsticks - (corn ?) aka: saijan ki phali
Chilka - (what kind of rind is it?)
Brinjal- ( eggplant? ) aka: baingan
Spring onions (Green onions?) aka: hara pyaj
Green Banana (platanos?) aka: Kachcha Kela
Margosa - ( ) aka: Neem
Trotters - (cow's feet?) aka: Paya

Anyone else who may know are welcome to answer.......
I'll add more as I peruse the translations!

Thanks!

Now it's off to the kitchen to mix up some sambar powder!

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
bhindi = okra or ladies fingers, molondrones in DR

brinjal = eggplant/aubergine, berenjena in Spanish

My mouth is watering.

Chiri

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MommC said:
Ok AZB.....I need some help here!
Mara kindly took a book of recipes written in Hindi to India with her to have translated for me but I need some help with some of the ingredients.
If you could , would you please tell me what exactly these things are?
Ladyfingers - ( ) aka :bhindi
Drumsticks - (corn or maybe okra?) aka: saijan ki phali
Chilka - (what kind of rind is it?)
Brinjal- ( eggplant? ) aka: baingan
Spring onions (Green onions?) aka: hara pyaj
Green Banana (platanos?) aka: Kachcha Kela
Margosa - ( ) aka: Neem
Trotters - (pig's feet?) aka: Paya

Anyone else who may know are welcome to answer.......
I'll add more as I peruse the translations!

Thanks!

Now it's off to the kitchen to mix up some sambar powder!

Not an expert but here it goes:

lady finger (british english) = Okra

Chilka ??? = means "skin or shell" of something

baingan = eggplant

Hara Pyaz = green onion maybe the long green onions that chinese use for cooking (name escaped my mind).

green banana (khacha kela) = unriped banana

Paya = always cow's feet

Good luck
AZB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Keep 'em coming!!!

I knew the okra was in there somewhere but wasn't sure. Had the eggplant down tho' :)!
Now if someone knows what in heck the "drumsticks" are.......there's several recipes that sound real tasty but the main ingredient is an unknown.

Thanks AZB for verifiying that "spring" onions are indeed the "green" onion otherwise known as scallions that we LOVE especially when they're fresh picked from the garden.

I had an awful time figuring out the "curd" until I realized that sometimes it means yoghurt and sometimes it's "sour" curd aka buttermilk!
Cant' wait to get down there an try my hand at preserving some "amchoor/amchur" aka sun dried powdered green mango! Think I'll be able to sun dry those? I'm going to buy a grinder my first trip into San Pedro. I already know which distributor has 'em!

Don't know when I'll be cooking for y'all - gotta try these out on myself first!:D They'll only get served to guests if they WOW me first!
Maybe I should warn y'all that ghee definitely isn't on the menu but I'm going to try my hand at pappams and chapati this week. Maybe even some nam!

So keep those ingredient translations coming.......the more I have the more dishes I'll be able to try!

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
In English, Drumsticks(the food type) are chicken legs. Trotters are pig's feet, Ladyfingers are a type of light biscuit, almost a sponge, frequently used in trifle. I guess you have to consider the context of the other ingredients??

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
stan chapman said:
In English, Drumsticks(the food type) are chicken legs. Trotters are pig's feet, Ladyfingers are a type of light biscuit, almost a sponge, frequently used in trifle. I guess you have to consider the context of the other ingredients??

....you are absolutely right. although lady fingers was obviously okra in the original post, they are also a biscuit as well.

funnily enough.....'fish fingers' also has two meanings.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
However we are talking an East Indian translation to English from Hindi!

stan chapman said:

As English is MY first language I am well aware of the British/North American meaning of "drumstick's,trotters,lady fingers and fish finger/sticks" however the "drumsticks" referred to are definitely some type of vegetable as was the "ladyfingers"! As AZB pointed out the "trotters" were most likely cow's feet as the hindi word I posted always refers to something beef!

So please......if anyone knows what "drumsticks" are I'm still waiting for an answer.

In the next few days I'll post more queries (I already figured out that "jaggery" was cane sugar in it's "raw" form).
The lists available on the web have been quite informative however "drumsticks remain drumsticks" in every translation I've been able to find.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
As English is MY first language I am well aware of the British/North American meaning

Last time I try to be helpful to you, Madam.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
the neem tree is Azadirachta indica

Info about the neem tree
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/courses/en570/papers_1994/howatt.html

Indian shampoos widely use neem extract. All parts of the trees used for medicinal purposes.

In DR neem is nim. The Fundaci?n Agricultura y Medio Ambiente supposedly helped to the plantation of 500000 trees.

Barnab?

Add. Jaggery might be palm sugar (sap) instead of cane, I'm not sure

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Wasn't trying to be snippy Stan.......

stan chapman said:
Last time I try to be helpful to you, Madam.

and I do appreciate the effort however the OP clearly stated the translation was from Hindi to English so I thought it obvious that the "English translation" was somewhat lacking as ladyfingers and drumsticks were NOT what we English as a first language person generally acknowledge which is why I also posted the original Hindi words for reference. I make Italian Tiramisu all the time using our "ladyfingers (mmmmmm!)" - can you picture Tiramisu made with OKRA?????? YUCK!

The one recipe mentions "boiling" and "stripping the kernels" from the drumsticks so this is what I've based my belief that "drumsticks" refers to ears of corn on! However I would like to verify that if possible "before" trying the recipe :ermm:

Barnabe - you could have something there as all the cane sugar I've seen has been relatively usable in the form you buy it however I've read instruction for mixing lumps of jaggery with a bit of water then straining it to "remove all impurities" before use so it could indeed refer to palm sap also!:0

Maybe I should plan to accompany Mara to India next year so I can get first hand experience in East Indian ingredients and cooking methods!:) Still trying to figure out some of the utensils mentioned in the recipe instructions!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Mara?

Maybe I should plan to accompany Mara to India next year so I can get first hand experience in East Indian ingredients and cooking methods!:) Still trying to figure out some of the utensils mentioned in the recipe instructions![/QUOTE]

:) Are you talking about the most amazing Mara from Fior Di Loto???????? :)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That would be she!!!! Who else from the DR named Mara would be in India to have these

juanita said:
Maybe I should plan to accompany Mara to India next year so I can get first hand experience in East Indian ingredients and cooking methods!:) Still trying to figure out some of the utensils mentioned in the recipe instructions!

:) Are you talking about the most amazing Mara from Fior Di Loto???????? :)[/QUOTE]

books sent from India to me???? She is pretty amazing isn't she! Don't think I'd have the nerve to travel there ALONE, let alone run a foundation to send girls to school. She's a good friend and if I don't find out what "drumsticks" are soon I may be waiting until she gets back to the DR (and I get back also) to find out! :)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
MommC said:
:) Are you talking about the most amazing Mara from Fior Di Loto???????? :)

books sent from India to me???? She is pretty amazing isn't she! Don't think I'd have the nerve to travel there ALONE, let alone run a foundation to send girls to school. She's a good friend and if I don't find out what "drumsticks" are soon I may be waiting until she gets back to the DR (and I get back also) to find out! :)[/QUOTE]

When is she due back? I've known her for the past 10 years and Fior Di Loto is my refuge when I need a break from the city. Hopefuly she will be back for her birthday this month. ;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Then possibly we've met!!

I'm there often when I'm in the DR. I even teach belly dance when I'm there for fun & fitness! :)

I understood she was coming back in Oct. but I haven't e-mailed her lately....
hmmmm.....maybe I'll do that now! She might know what drumsticks are! :ermm:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
MommC I found it!!!!

Drumsticks

INTRODUCTION:
Botanical Name: Moringa Oleifera
Common names: horseradish tree, benoil tree
Other vernaculars: Hindi-muranka, Kannada-moringa, Marathi- shevga chi seeng, Tamil-murungai, Gujarati- seeng ni phali, Malayalam-sigru , Telugu-sajana, Bengali-sajna,

The greenskinned, tough, 1-2 foot long, sticklike vegetable, is surprisingly soft and fleshy inside. The opaque white flesh, embedded with pea-like seeds, covered in layers of skins, is sweetish, fragrant, and tasty to eat, when cooked.

They get their name from the fact that they do resemble the musical drumsticks.

As a general rule, the hard ridges of the drumsticks should be scraped with a peeler, but do not over peel, as the vegetable will become difficult to cook and stir. The skin should also be intact to enable eating the fleshy part, when cooked, or the skin will break and one cannot enjoy it to the fullest.

http://www.bawarchi.com/cookbook/drumsticks.html

Did a search in google with "drumstick vegetable" :cheeky:

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Eureka!!! Guess I won't be using those recipes!

I don't think "drumsticks" are available here in the Great White North (or in the DR for that matter)! Darn........maybe I could try the recipe without the drumsticks and try to figure out what could be substituted........
Thanks a bunch Juanita........I never would have thought to do a search for "drumstick vegetable" (and believe me search I did!) :D

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok....so I searched again.....and I HAVE seen this vegetable!!!!

At Harry's Market in Atlanta (darn - my son just moved to Tampa yesterday!!).
Here's a picture.....
http://peacecorps.mtu.edu/moringa.htm
of the pods.
I think I'm going to order some seeds and grow some in the garden in Juan Dolio. Maybe even pot one up to grow in my sunroom at home. Apparently they're quite easy to grow and are considered quite a "miracle" plant as all parts of the plant can be used and they are drought tolerant.

Coming soon......more ingredients in need of "decifering"!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MommC said:
At Harry's Market in Atlanta (darn - my son just moved to Tampa yesterday!!).
Here's a picture.....
http://peacecorps.mtu.edu/moringa.htm
of the pods.
I think I'm going to order some seeds and grow some in the garden in Juan Dolio. Maybe even pot one up to grow in my sunroom at home. Apparently they're quite easy to grow and are considered quite a "miracle" plant as all parts of the plant can be used and they are drought tolerant.

Coming soon......more ingredients in need of "decifering"!
I live 10 mins away from Harry's market in atlanta (actually Marietta, GA).