He promised--he DID it!!FELIX SANCHEZ, A.K.A. SUPER JUST WON THE 400 HURDLES IN 47:63

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
cONGRATULLATIONS. fOR THE FIRST TIME THE nATIONAL aNTHEM WILL SOUND IN AN oLYMPIC EVENT!!

QUESQUEYANOS VALIENTES ALCEMOS.......

Way to go Felix!!!

Last edited:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Yeah Congratulations!!!

That's great new congrats to Felix!!!

Hillbilly said:
cONGRATULLATIONS. fOR THE FIRST TIME THE nATIONAL aNTHEM WILL SOUND IN AN oLYMPIC EVENT!!

QUESQUEYANOS VALIENTES ALCEMOS.......

Way to go Felix!!!

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Go....go

FELIXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulationsssssssssssssss to FELIX! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
k1w1 said:
isn't this guy from the states?? he was born / raised / educated / trained / coached all stateside!!
hmmmm

I find it fair, this dominican descent guy, bring this gold medal to the land of his parents... specially after not being accepted into the american dream team... that is what i have heard....

He represents big hope in this side of the Americas, one of the biggest roles to follow by dominican youth... AND the major reason for celebration right now!

Go Felix! :laugh:

Jess :bunny:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
RD$1 million

andrea9k said:
I find it fair, this dominican descent guy, bring this gold medal to the land of his parents... Jess :bunny:

Not only that! He also has to come and pick up is RD$1 million that Turbi promised to the first medal winner! Way to go Felix! :knockedou

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
And your point is??????!!!!

k1w1 said:
isn't this guy from the states?? he was born / raised / educated / trained / coached all stateside!!
hmmmm
Yes to your question but he is representing, like many, many others, his parents country, get it?. Arriba Felixxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a very special surge of pride and emotion when a small nation celebrates 'being on the map' as a result of winning an international event.

Felix's victory takes me back to the wild festivities in San Jose, Costa Rica when one of their swimmers, Sylvia Poll, won a silver medal in the Seoul Olympics. Everyone took to the streets and when she returned home with her medal the whole city came to a standstill. Stages and sound-systems were installed in the main avenues and squares. Grungy backpacker that I was, I hadn't been following the Olympic Games, but when this happened there was no choice but to join in the party.

The interesting thing is that similar to Felix Sanchez, Sylvia's Costa Rican credentials were questioned, because her family were Europeans (Swiss?) who had settled in CR when she was a child.

Chiri

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
groovy nation

that's right. And as you can see, it doesn't take an earth shattering event to make dominicans give their speakers another work out and break out the romo, even though that's exactly what 'supel sanche' just pulled off.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Where's GOLO?

Not one of Felix's biggest supporters. Maybe he's in Athens at the moment.
Greece, not Georgia or Ohio.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
k1w1 said:
get to the states (out of the DR) ... and you can fulfill your dreams got it?

kudos to sanchez. congrats!!

I dont think not being accepted in the american team fulfilled Felix's dreams... I would say being accepted in the dominican team, representing it in the big games and winning gold medals for it fulfilled his dreams BIG TIME!

I think you belong to the PPH team... maybe you wrote Hippo's speech when he recommended dominicans to get into the US... what a bunch of idiots! :rolleyes:

Jess :bunny:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I'm with you...to some extent

I feel proud that he has accomplished this medal, but it was because he trained here in the states. I can understand his desire to want to represent DR. I don't want to take that away.

What I do have issues with is that now all Dominicans on the island are loving this Dominicanyork (Born in New York and raised in So. CA). I find the island so convenient on who qualifies as a real "Dominican." Once Felix became winner (and only then), he got their stamp of approval....until that point he was just another dominicanyork, chopo in the eyes of many "cultured" Dominicans. I will leave this fight to another day.

In the meantime we can celebrate yet another great product of US Dominicans...los "Dominicanos" en el exterior. LOL

D

k1w1 said:
hmmmm

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Jess
While I can't stand Hippo, he was just repeating, in a less eloquent fashion, what was earlier said by Leonel in 95-96 in light of painful '94 tax cuts. This was the reason why Pena Gomez passed the dual citizenship law. I got the reference if you want me to point it out to you.
-D

andrea9k said:
I dont think not being accepted in the american team fulfilled Felix's dreams... I would say being accepted in the dominican team, representing it in the big games and winning gold medals for it fulfilled his dreams BIG TIME!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ok....i TRIED To wait to see it live...but its getting late...and i see no sign of the 400 M hurdles here on TV in nyc. I was certain he would do it!!! and he did!!!

Unfortunately I am stuck with getting replays here in the US due to time differences.......i will TRY to stay awake for this TRULY great moment!!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
deelt said:
Jess
This was the reason why Pena Gomez passed the dual citizenship law.
I love picking nits :)

Pe?a G?mez was never president. And the last time he was elected for anything was S?ndico of Santo Domingo, not a position where he could pass anything.

Now back to the thread.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Felix is Golden

I'm with you, jrzyguy. I missed the games earlier, so I'm hoping to see Felix in all his glory sometime tonight. And I'm also hoping to hear my Dominican national anthem in Athens. Oh what a feeling!

Congratulations Felix! You done good!

-Indie

Chiri, what is it about those S?nchez boys? ;)

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
You are right...

Chula, I can always count on you to perfect, thanks...Pena Gomez pushed the bill....and Leonel was campaigning not the President.

Yup...the party is on on this end...If I weren't on a liquor strike I would have a glass of wine in his honor...or two...or three...

Un Beso,
D

Pib said:
I love picking nits :)

Pe?a G?mez was never president. And the last time he was elected for anything was S?ndico of Santo Domingo, not a position where he could pass anything.

Now back to the thread.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Woohoooo Felix. Things are looking fantastic for the DR new Pres. and now Gold. It can only get better from now on.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
I Just Saw Him!

I SAW HIM WIN THE GOLD FOR THE DR!! YESSSSSSSSS FEEEEELIX!

Okay, one more Corona before I go to bed.

Cheers and Goodnight y'all.

-Indie
hoping I don't pee on myself :surprised

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Finally

Im just glad to see the USA beaten.
I get mad everytime the US reporters say "well he is representing the DR but he was born here..." but yet they do not talk about all the foriegners or 1st-generation olympians on the USA team, Tim Duncan for one was born in the Virgin Islands and the women's table tennis team are both Chinese one born in china the other 1st generation American. The thing is Americans like to be the best no matter what and have this superiority complex installed since childbirth, man be humble, thats my point. A person/ country cannot be the best at everything.
Also finally Dominicans are viewing other sports other than Baseball, the most boring sport [next to golf] on the planet [my Personal opinion]. I can only imagine the day DR has great tennis players and swimmers and gymnists. Okay we had one good Tennis player Mary Jo Fernandez that does not like to be called Dominican.

I am proud of Felix Sanchez and I loved the way he called out that American runner but only after he win.

Peace.