1010wins (sore losers)

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Check out the article on www.1010wins.com 'bout Felix Sanchez. They went as far as to say that although the gold medal in the 400m hurdles went to the Dominican Republic, an American won;because he has dual nationality; anotherwords, to me, it means that we're unable to produce top-notch athletes unless they're somehow part of the "American as apple pie" system.

Shame on 1010wins...! I'm sure my compatriots in Washington heights ad elsewhere will boycott these knuckleheads. Now if this would have been a Pablo Escobar type Dominican story, they would've never mentioned the fact theat was born in the good 'ol US of A.

DOMINICANOS UNIDOS HASTA LA MUERTE....!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Kaizen68,

I clicked on the link but it did not work. Is there anyway you can cut and paste the article here? I would love read what they have to say. Te agradezco de antemano.

-Lesley D

Kaizen68 said:
Check out the article on www.1010wins.com 'bout Felix Sanchez. They went as far as to say that although the gold medal in the 400m hurdles went to the Dominican Republic, an American won;because he has dual nationality; anotherwords, to me, it means that we're unable to produce top-notch athletes unless they're somehow part of the "American as apple pie" system.

Shame on 1010wins...! I'm sure my compatriots in Washington heights ad elsewhere will boycott these knuckleheads. Now if this would have been a Pablo Escobar type Dominican story, they would've never mentioned the fact theat was born in the good 'ol US of A.

DOMINICANOS UNIDOS HASTA LA MUERTE....!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lesley D said:
Kaizen68,

I clicked on the link but it did not work. Is there anyway you can cut and paste the article here? I would love read what they have to say. Te agradezco de antemano.

-Lesley D

Here you are, Lesley: "And Felix Sanchez, whose 400-meter hurdles win Thursday gave the Dominican Republic its first Olympic gold medal, was born in New York, raised in San Diego and has dual citizenship."

I think Kaizen68's upset is a mountain out of a mole hill.

Note that 1010 didn't say that he was an American because he had dual citizenship. They said he was born and raised in the US and has dual citizenship. I don't know the details of his life, but it sounds like he is part Dominican only because his parents were born in the Dominican Republic and have retained their Dominican citizenship.

He won easily and he wore the Dominican Republic's uniform when doing so. What is wrong with 1010 taking pride in the fact he won at least partly because of what he has received in the US?

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Many thanks Ken,

That's the media for you. Overtime I have learned to turn a deaf ear to most of what reporters say. I just take the information that I need. If you know what I mean. He won the GOLD! That's all want to know. There's a nice article today in el List?n Diario. I will read that one instead.

Thanks again,

-Lesley D

Ken said:
Here you are, Lesley: "And Felix Sanchez, whose 400-meter hurdles win Thursday gave the Dominican Republic its first Olympic gold medal, was born in New York, raised in San Diego and has dual citizenship."

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
gold to dr

Ken said:

Note that 1010 didn't say that he was an American because he had dual citizenship. They said he was born and raised in the US and has dual citizenship. I don't know the details of his life, but it sounds like he is part Dominican only because his parents were born in the Dominican Republic and have retained their Dominican citizenship.

He won easily and he wore the Dominican Republic's uniform when doing so. What is wrong with 1010 taking pride in the fact he won at least partly because of what he has received in the US?
Kenny boy...
Thanks for your insight..? but exactly what do you mean partly by what he has received in the US?
Bottom line is, he had the choice to run for either country, yet he opted for the DR; the media can make you or break you; "Give Cesar what's Cesar....", again, if it was a Dominican narcotrafficker with dual citizenship, he would be considered Dominican, not an American. Hey, afterall, what place did the American runner finish in....? D.O.M.I.N.I.C.A.N.A. won...end of subject...

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Ironically...

When Nigerian-born Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon became a US citizen in order to represent the good, ol' U.S. of A. in the 1996 Oh-lympics, the media did not make a big deal. INSTEAD, he was elevated to saint-hood.

-Joseito
Super Chulo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Kaizen68 said:
Bottom line is, he had the choice to run for either country, yet he opted for the DR;

Yes, he opted for the DR and I admire him for it. He could be making a lot more money in endorsements if he had opted to run for the US.
But it is foolish to try to make a big deal out of an American sportswriter also taking pride in the win since Felix has gotten all of his coaching in the US. See below:

"Home away from home
A New Yorker by birth who grew up in Southern California, two-time 400m hurdles world champion Felix Sanchez is the favorite to take home the gold medal in Athens. But "home" will not be the United States but the Dominican Republic, where his parents were born and for which he has competed since 1999. If he succeeds, it will be the Dominican Republic's first gold medal. Pedro J. Nolasco won the Caribbean country's only medal, a bronze in boxing, in 1984.

Repeat performance
Sanchez has dominated the 400m hurdles for nearly three years. Undefeated at that distance since July 2001, he rose to the No. 1 world ranking that August and remained ever since. He won his first world title in 2001 -- the Dominican Republic's first medal at a major international track and field event -- and successfully defended the gold in 2003. The only other man to repeat as 400m hurdles world champion? The legendary Edwin Moses, in 1983 and 1987.

Dominant force
After finishing 2002 undefeated, Sanchez carried the momentum into 2003. He posted eight of the nine fastest times in the world, including the four fastest. He was named the Latin American sportsman of the year (baseball player Sammy Sosa, in 1998, is the only other Dominican winner) and the Central American and Caribbean Confederation sportsman of the year for the second consecutive year. The first time he competed in this "home" country, he thrilled the crowd with a gold-medal performance at the 2003 Pan Am Games in Santo Domingo.

Family ties
Growing up in a tight-knit family, Sanchez says there was always a Dominican flag in his house. He says he always felt Dominican, even though he only visited the country once before 2000. Sanchez began competing for the Dominican Republic after placing sixth in the 400m hurdles at the 1999 U.S. Nationals. Many of his relatives live in the Dominican.

Mr. Popular
In the baseball-crazy Dominican, Sanchez consistently ranks high among the country's sports heroes. Popularity polls in the country have placed him third behind Sosa of the Cubs and Pedro Martinez of the Red Sox. He is recognized on the street and his face is plastered all over Santo Domingo, thanks to numerous sponsorship deals. "I'm very popular here," says Sanchez. "I go to the bowling alley, for instance, and I don't have to pay for anything."

Immediate success
Sanchez began running as a sophomore at University City High School outside of San Diego, California. He considered himself primarily a baseball player but turned to track after suffering a broken arm as a wrestler. Although the fastest player on the baseball team, he soon found out that he was one of the slowest on the track team. Initially a 400m runner, Sanchez picked up the hurdles after three teammates were ruled academically ineligible. He was an immediate success, earning all-conference honors that year."

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Ken - Perhaps he can make more money representing the DR. He's a hero there. Here in the US, most track stars are almost unknown. - D

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The bottom line is that he is Dominican, end of story. His blood composition comes from the DR 100%, his up bringing has been influenced by his Dominican culture (including the American influence which is also influencing Dominicans here on the island), he is Dominican, bottomline and period.

He made that triumph to win gold under the Dominican name, under the Dominican flag.

Felix himself said it in an interview "Yo siempre me e sentido Dominicano. En mi casa siempre hay una bandera Dominicana. Anque yo e crecido en San Diego, mi casa siempre era como en RD."

BTW, that is not word for word what he said but that is what he meant.

Regardless what any media source says, when they ask him for what country he won that gold, he will most likely say "Republica Dominicana".

End of story.

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
hold it!

it doesn't matter where he was born at. For all I care he could have been born in Beijin, what matters is what country he decides he's going to represent. I read some where that he supposedly don't speak good dominican spanish, which I think is a smoke screen, but even if he didn't, he's going to learn quick as he as a parade in el Malecon written in stone waiting for him when he gets to DR. Not only that, he was also named sporting ambassador for the DR and given 25usd by some thief in jail and mega star status in the DR. So what country would you represent!???....

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Kaizen68 said:
Kenny boy...
Thanks for your insight..? but exactly what do you mean partly by what he has received in the US?
Bottom line is, he had the choice to run for either country, yet he opted for the DR; the media can make you or break you; "Give Cesar what's Cesar....", again, if it was a Dominican narcotrafficker with dual citizenship, he would be considered Dominican, not an American. Hey, afterall, what place did the American runner finish in....? D.O.M.I.N.I.C.A.N.A. won...end of subject...

My,My, Do we have a chip on our shoulder??
John

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
When Nigerian-born Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon became a US citizen in order to represent the good, ol' U.S. of A. in the 1996 Oh-lympics, the media did not make a big deal. INSTEAD, he was elevated to saint-hood.

-Joseito
Super Chulo

You are so right. When "they" run for "our" countries, "we" so claim them as our own.

Here is a great article for those who doubt his "Dominicanidad!":

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/226135p-194239c.html

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Aaahh, Coogan's.....how I miss that place.

Great article JaneJ., thanks. I'm filled with pride and emotion right now for mis compatriotas in Washington Heights and all the rest of the dominicanos esparcidos por el mundo.

-Indie

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't blame Felix Sanchez for doing what a lot of the posters on DR1 have done!

The winner of several World Championships,and an Olimpic Gold medal in the 200 meter hurdles is unknown to 99.9 % of the American public!He has no chance of getting an endorsement for anything in the USA!
Felix made a smart move.He desided to acknowledge his "Dominican Roots"! He became a big fish,in a small pond!
A guy who would never be noticed in the US,gets a parade in the DR!
Why not? Some of us are here for the very same reason,I know that that plays a part in my being here!
And Never forget,99% of the population of the World has any idea
where we are,who we are,or what we do !
Cris Colon
PS,he can run really fast,and jump several times along the way,SO WHAT???????????????????

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Criss Colon said:
The winner of several World Championships,and an Olimpic Gold medal in the 200 meter hurdles is unknown to 99.9 % of the American public!He has no chance of getting an endorsement for anything in the USA!
Felix made a smart move.He desided to acknowledge his "Dominican Roots"! He became a big fish,in a small pond!
A guy who would never be noticed in the US,gets a parade in the DR!
Why not? Some of us are here for the very same reason,I know that that plays a part in my being here!
And Never forget,99% of the population of the World has any idea
where we are,who we are,or what we do !
Cris Colon
PS,he can run really fast,and jump several times along the way,SO WHAT???????????????????

Oh lord i thought this day will never come! i (me) aplaud every single words said by Mr. Criss Colon......................................................................

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
k1w1 said:
HAHA hopefully this is the end of YOUR story!!? :))
Felix Super Sanchez is a 100% bona fide USDA approved product of the US track and field program. No ifs / no ands / no buts. THAT is the 'end of story'.
The fact that he ran under DR flag / brings pride to DR / maybe inspired nino DR (those that aren't hooked on Domyork rap!!) = fantastic!! / great!! / way to go!! Kudos to Felix. But don't give credit where it's not due. Huta mano he don't even speak the lingo!! tehe (just trying to spark some debate :)))

You are one funny mofo and BTW I personally thank you for your previous insightful posts to DR life.
still chuckling ....

The Dominican military was first created by, trained by, and deployed all over the country by Americans in the early 1900s. Those that makes the DR military American?

I rest my case.

BTW, if you are going to recognize Felix the Dominican hero as an American, then recognize the hundreds of other children of Dominican parents who were born in the US and now are in jails and comiting crime in the US. Oh, but when it comes to these folks, it's ok to say that they are "the children of dominicans". However, if "the children of Dominicans" do something good then they will be accepted as Americans, even when the winner runs for the DR!

Geez, make up your mind. Dominicanyorks are either American or not all the time, not when it best suits your needs or desires!

Felix Sanchez is Dominican, end of story. It's interesting that he thinks of the DR as home, shouldn't it be the US of A for him?

I watch the wrestling match of the USA vs. Mongolia. The USA athlete was a Mexican (or at least he looked Mexican with a Spanish name). He played for the USA, he is more American than Felix Sanchez because he has enough pride to represent the USA in these games.

Felix Sanchez in the other hand is Dominican for the same reasons!

Viva Dominicana!

Last edited:

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Hey im new

Hey im new to this site but im familiar with it from reading the posts. I dont know how to start my own topic so i have to post it here. (sorry im not talkin about whatever you all were talkin bout. Anywayz let me explain a lil bout myself first with the screen name. Im 17 and yea i am haitian and yea i play baseball (an extremely rare case) and im good at it (even rarer for haitians). I played high school ball and i just started college in which im gonna join the team. I was born here in New York. I come here because this website is interesting and i love the dominican people(especially the women) and the music and culture ya bring. Ya also have the same passion for baseball that i do. Im very familiar with ya because where i live is alot of dominicans, my best friends are dr and pr mixed, i took up spanish in HS and know some, my school had alot of dominicans, and i love merengue and bachata. I even dance it when i go to spanich parties. I have also been to DR for a week when i spent my summer in Haiti. We drove by car form Port-au-Prince to Santo Domingo (Capital to La Capital :p). I loved it over there. People even think im dominican when they first ask what i am. Even dominicans think i am. If you want to see my pic maybe some of ya can see it and tell me what you think. Maybe cuz im light brown skinned(in the winter anyway, since im always in the sun playin ball, im darker now) and i dont have a real haitian or african lookin face. And most of my family is light or tan brown skinned. I know creole and alot about haitian history and culture just as well as DR so im not gonna bring ignorant and dumb stuff on here to post. WELL THATS MY SPEECH, DAMN ITS KINDA LONG BUT IM HERE, SO HOLLA!!!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's get back to the subject

Haitianobaseball Go to the main menue of the Message board, click on one of the Topics. Then click on New Thread. What you did is called "stealing a thread". It is not nice.

Now on to the case of F?lix S?nchez.

I don't have any problem with Felix and his roots, his upbringing or his representing, the DR in Olympic competition. Heck I did it back in the 60s and 70s....Olympic competition is just that : competition between athletes, not nations.

My big B!tch is that the DR sports authorities take pride in his accomplishments. What crap that is!. They did not put one little drop of training, assistance or effort into the creation of this world class athlete. Nor did they make Sammy, Alex, Ra?l or Manny or any of the other 80 odd Dominicans in the Major leagues..

What should be learned from the Felix Experience is that the raw materiel is here, they just have to learn how to train it.

Anybody noticed how many medals Jamaica-a truly tiny, dirt-poor little island nation, has??? And they have been winning Olympic medals for decades. And it is all in their system. In Jamaica there are four things a teen can do: sell drugs, play football, play cricket or run track. The newspapers report the smallest track events like they were a cure for AIDS. Forty year old Jamaicans are so good they can switch citizenship and run for places like Slovakia or some other place. And they are not alone, some of the better Kenyans are becoming citizens of places like Bahrain and Qatar.

Felix did something has never done: He won a gold medal for the DR. He is to be congratulated. His trainers, his agents his entourage are also to be congratulated. I hope that he comes to Santiago so I may get a chnce to shake his hand....

HB

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Ok

Thanks for the info. My opinion on this is that yea he might of grew up in the US but he will always be reppin DR. USA is just feenin to have as many representatives and gold medals as possible. Every year when you look at the medal count the USA is leading other countries by a blowout. Most of the USA atheletes are not 100% american (but then again, WHO IS?).